Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chapter order De Molay coin? Help?

I can bearly make out the words etched in the back. From what ive been able to see with naked eyes. It reads" June 5th 1965." Next line "Col. Underhill" and I can't make put what the last inscription says. Anyways just wanted to know if this coin has any

important history or if it's just junk.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an Order for young men, sponsored by the Masons.....Likely that was an induction piece for an individual. DeMolay, who the order is named after, was the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 7:58AM

I read the last word on the OP's coin as "Advisor" which means that the man was the adult Mason who was the chapter advisor to the DeMolay chapter.

I have a similar blank DeMolay membership coin.

Order of DeMolay membership coin
    Bronze, 31mm, 12.40gm
    Obverse: Figure of Jacques De Molay facing and holding cross, no inscription
    Reverse: Three blank lines, CHAPTER / ORDER DE MOLAY

The Order of DeMolay or "DeMolay" is a Masonic organization for young men ages 14 to 21 and is named after Jacques De Molay who was the last Grand Master of the Crusader Knights Templar.

This item is the Order of DeMolay's version of the "Masonic Penny" and dates from the 1930's.

The name can be spelled two ways, "DeMolay" and "De Molay".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Icy1364Icy1364 Posts: 21
    edited July 23, 2019 8:21AM

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    I read the last word on the OP's coin as "Advisor" which means that the man was the adult Mason who was the chapter advisor to the DeMolay chapter.

I have a similar blank DeMolay membership coin.

Order of DeMolay membership coin
    Bronze, 31mm, 12.40gm
    Obverse: Figure of Jacques De Molay facing and holding cross, no inscription
    Reverse: Three blank lines, CHAPTER / ORDER DE MOLAY

The Order of DeMolay or "DeMolay" is a Masonic organization for young men ages 14 to 21 and is named after Jacques De Molay who was the last Grand Master of the Crusader Knights Templar.

This item is the Order of DeMolay's version of the "Masonic Penny" and dates from the 1930's.

The name can be spelled two ways, "DeMolay" and "De Molay".

Thank you for the info. I was clueless as to what this coin was. Lol now that you've pointed out the last word i believe it says activities advisor. Haha interesting find. Found in southern California Kern county. Upon googling Col. Underhill I get some interesting results any more ideas?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin but a medal. It is believed that Jacques DeMolay was arrested On Friday, October 13, 1307, by officers of King Philip IV of France & subsequently burned at the stake on Friday the 18th.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    Not a coin but a medal. It is believed that Jacques DeMolay was arrested On Friday, October 13, 1307, by officers of King Philip IV of France & subsequently burned at the stake on Friday the 18th.

That's quite interesting thank you for the knowledge. I found this at the lake where I live tons of tourists around all year.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icy1364 said:

That's quite interesting thank you for the knowledge. I found this at the lake where I live tons of tourists around all year.

Sounds like a ripe spot for metal detecting.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2019 8:27PM

Another DeMolay membership coin, this one was specially made for a specific chapter and is inscribed with a member's name.

Order of DeMolay Membership Coin - Germantown Chapter
    Bronze, 31 mm, 11.32 gm
    Obverse:
    Order of DeMolay emblem, knight's helmet facing left
    Reverse:
    GERMANTOWN CHAPTER
    ORDER OF DEMOLAY
    W. J. HARING (Inscribed)

The DeMolay logo on the coin was used from 1920 to 1931 which would date the coin to that period.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the very interesting post........I still have my DeMolay Certificate, but never received the medal. Would have LOVED the Medal.

OINK

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

King Philip IV of France was very fond of money, of which the Templars had lots, and BBQ.

• Options

The Order of DeMolay was founded in 1919.
    How do we know?
    The Order issued a commemorative medallion.

DeMolay Medallion - Founder Frank Land
    Bronze, 33 mm, 11.99 gm

Obverse:
    Frank Land facing slightly left
    FRANK S. LAND / 1890 1959 / FOUNDER ORDER OF DEMOLAY

Reverse:
    Order of DeMolay emblem
    ORDER OF DE MOLAY / FOUNDED MARCH 1919

Frank S. Land was a Mason who founded the Order of DeMolay in 1919.
    Note that the name of the order on the Medallion is spelled both "DeMolay" and "De Molay".

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file