Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$1 Gold Collecting recommendations

I've been a Member here for about 6 months and have learned a lot, so thank you in advance for suggestions on collecting gold dollars.

I started collecting as a kid 50 years ago and still have my 1970 Red Book that I use for mintage and other facts, as well as enjoying the old values. This is where I learned about gold dollars but could never afford one. This era in U.S. history has always intrigued me and the gold dollar series sort of epitomizes everything that was going on at the time. I've read the Bowers source book and have started with each type from the 1850's in slabs, AU-55 to MS-61. I think I am comfortable in this range due to price and generally good lustre.

My last complete set was Barber Halves in F-VF about 20 years ago, which was a challenge but not prohibitively costly, except for the cleaned ones that had re-toned which I missed.

I'm thinking about getting a nice example from the other decades with maybe a proof from the 1880's. The C and D do not appeal to me due to the cost and generally weaker strikes, though their history is impressive.

Anyway, it's interesting that as a kid I was drawn to silver dollars and 50 years later, I'm looking at the small ones. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 4:13PM

I did a short set of just the O mint coins. I chose circulated coins as I love the crude meant to be used southern port nostalgia and the pre-civil war time period. I even found an error example. It was a fun a cheap set

I filled in the 1854 date gap with the 3$ gold piece as it is the same design and the only O mint one of those. You can see it here. Ignore the descriptions and just check out the photos. Good luck and have fun

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/2425

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug Winter wrote a good article on the subject about a year ago:

https://raregoldcoins.com/blog/2017/8/18/soyouve-decided-to-collect-gold-dollars?rq=gold dollars

• Options
    Quake17Quake17 Posts: 30 ✭✭

Great suggestions, thank you! Very in depth recent article makes me reconsider acquiring a C and D for a mint mark collection. The proof discussion at only $40K per coin or so, puts things in perspective!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old gold dollars, but they are so small.... I decided not to get into that series mainly due to their size. I do like the C and D mints though... Great history there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 5:49AM

Gold dollars have long been an interest of mine. I put together and date and mint set of the Type I and Type II gold dollars, minus the 1849-C Open Wreath variety of which there are only four or five known. Here are a couple of links for you.

https://coins.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=119091&Ranking=all

https://coins.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=167164&Ranking=all

The Type III Gold Dollars interest me, but completing that set is very hard, and I gave up on it. I do have all of teh coins from 1880 to 1889. They have low mintages, and many of them are P-L. because of the limited mintages.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the little coins, I agree you should only buy certified as there are a lot of fakes. Have fun with the hunt!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 11:26AM
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someday I would like to do a San Francisco type set. Maybe eventually expanding to all 7 dates. I like mine circulated.

• Options

Thanks again everyone for your sage advice! Bill, what an awesome collection!

• Options

Beautiful indeed! Thanks again Bill!

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Gold dollars can be very pretty coins--especially the proofs! Certain issues also seem to offer decent value for the money compared to some larger denominations.

Here is a book that might be a good starting point: https://amazon.com/Guide-Book-Gold-Dollars-Official/dp/0794832415

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file