Home Precious Metals
Options

zPrediction : Gold prices could reach $2,000 by the end of the year, strategist says

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@topstuf said:

@derryb said:

Read the title of the thread. Equities will get hammered on Monday.

Wouldn't it be great if "equities" :D:D:D were truly ...equity? Like equity in a house.
    And not a pile of 401K driven hype.

Equity in a company is real. Current problem with equity in most companies is that the stock price is way much higher (overvaluation) than the actual book (liquidation) value of that small piece of the company.

I did. I don't. Zero. Did well but did better with buying mortgages.
    Your reason is why I stopped with stocks.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like gold will be opening over $1500 this morning...I can't believe people here are talking about selling right now. Guess everyone has different risk tolerances.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

selling on the way up is not as much about risk as it is about profit taking while not knowing what direction it's heading next.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    selling on the way up is not as much about risk as it is about profit taking while not knowing what direction it's heading next.

I'm pretty sure that China isn't going to bend the knee and negotiate a trade deal anytime soon.

They're going to try to wait out Trump and hope he loses 2020. China will put a ton of money behind creepy Joe Biden since his son is heavily invested in China and they will expect to get a favorable trade deal from creepy Joe if he wins... (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/08/will-hunter-biden-jeopardize-his-fathers-campaign and https://nypost.com/2019/05/11/the-troubling-reason-why-biden-is-so-soft-on-china/)

Until that trade deal happens, nothing is going to change with current trends. Downward pressure on equity markets, rates and overall sentiment will continue. With that, there is only one direction where gold will be going.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@OPA said:

@1970s said:
    1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very soon - (for opa)

Now he can ask "How soon is soon?"

Not holding my breath for this to happen "any time soon"

Start holding your breath

The "Fat Lady" is gearing up to sing, but not quite ready. When she does, I'll hold my breath to see how long it lasts. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like silver is hanging on the coat tail of gold today. like it should-just broke 17/ounce

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

A lot of the discussion here seems to be centered on gold prices in relation to individual investor demand, dollar value, and stock market behavior. This is an interesting take on how government investment/politics may be impacting prices:

https://apple.news/AaAzESnCWRJioqsvIqnD0dw

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a kick in the pants. It doesn’t happen often enough and it’s important to enjoy this ride.
    Buy, sell, whatever. If you got some, you’re doing well.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

I sure am glad I showed up early for this dance.
    Looking forward to the I Told You So two step.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

JNUG over $100
    Locked and loaded JNUG,NUGT, NEM PAAS
    GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@1970s said:
    I don't know why anyone is taking profits, unless you need wine, women, or song.

Gold to $1650 by Christmas or Easter.

I've gone through to many hype sessions with PM's...The last one 2010-2012, and know when to take a profit. PM's are just another asset class to me. Buy low & sell for a profit if possible. Good luck to all that anticipate much higher prices and ignore when to take profits. Don't get me wrong, historically speaking, it's still a good time to buy silver & rhodium....not so sure about gold. (gold 30% below it's all time high...silver 60% & rhodium 70%)

• Options

What about the theory that precious metals tend to languish in the summer months?
    Who could’ve predicted the current rise?
    This unexpected rise in precious metal forum is fun to watch and fun to track.
    Let’s face it, most of us can afford the wine and music without selling. The third item, much more difficult.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019 7:50PM

$15.7 billion worth of gold bought by central banks. This is only about 1/10 of gold that is pulled out of the ground every year.

Why do the bugs keep touting relatively meaningless stats? The reason for the move higher in gold is obvious, if one knows what to look for.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Rwat??

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    The reason for the move higher in gold is obvious, if one knows what to look for.

Simple, a move lower in dollar confidence.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 1:28AM

In the mean while, my mutual funds that involved with mining, processing and distribution of precious metals had already went up 30% in 3 months just enough to cover my lost in all other stock/funds.

• Options

That graph seems to illustrate demand this year is about average over the past 10 years and lower than several past years.

How many times has there been thread started stating demand is up, only to see prices stagnate or decline?

Asset prices move for many reasons other than demand.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    The reason for the move higher in gold is obvious, if one knows what to look for.

Probably closer to a move lower in political confidence.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

only in regards to how those politics are affecting the dollar. Again, dollar confidence.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2019 8:17AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

only in regards to how those politics are affecting the dollar. Again, dollar confidence.

The dollar has remained remarkably stable for the past 5 years. Politics, however, have not. And expectations for increasingly more volatile politics over the next 18 months has risen considerably.

Relative valuations across asset classes is most evident.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    I don't know why anyone is taking profits, unless you need wine, women, or song.

Gold to $1650 by Christmas or Easter.

Or all of the above!

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

The dollar has remained remarkably stable for the past 5 years. Politics, however, have not. And expectations for increasingly more volatile politics over the next 18 months has risen considerably.

It's their perceived affect on the future of the dollar that is affecting the gold price. Politics have an indirect affect on gold and only to the extent of how the political shenanigans/uncertainty affect the dollar.

• Options

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk
    “Would be great if the GSR ever went back to 50.”

For that to happen, do you see gold weakening (relatively) or silver strengthening? My take is that silver strength will (continue to) drive the GSR lower.

• Options

@Wingsrule said:
    @cohodk
    “Would be great if the GSR ever went back to 50.”

For that to happen, do you see gold weakening (relatively) or silver strengthening? My take is that silver strength will (continue to) drive the GSR lower.

I agree with you.

• Options

• Options

@1970s said:

What technically speaking is out there that the GSR should be at 50 ?

Historical "balance?"

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@1970s said:

What technically speaking is out there that the GSR should be at 50 ?

Historical "balance?"

So, like, GSR about 16?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

• Options

the alignment is approximate.

while the dollar's fall stopped, gold's rise continued. then both moved sideways.

the dollar didn't weaken that Tuesday and Wednesday, and the news late in the week did not cause it to decline.

• Options

@1970s said:
    Sometimes the price of gold is also about supply and demand. The demand right now is very strong from banks. Central banks in emerging markets, including Russia, China, and others, have so far this year bought the most gold on record, according to the World Gold Council, whose records go back 19 years.

I believe cohdk mentioned that is not the reason..."$15.7 billion worth of gold bought by central banks. This is only about 1/10 of gold that is pulled out of the ground every year."

• Options

• Options

@1970s said:

@OPA said:

@1970s said:
    Sometimes the price of gold is also about supply and demand. The demand right now is very strong from banks. Central banks in emerging markets, including Russia, China, and others, have so far this year bought the most gold on record, according to the World Gold Council, whose records go back 19 years.

I believe cohdk mentioned that is not the reason..."$15.7 billion worth of gold bought by central banks. This is only about 1/10 of gold that is pulled out of the ground every year."

He and I will just have to disagree on this one. When central banks are buying the most gold ever on record, that will drive up prices.

Gold supply also increased to the highest since 2016.

The market is bigger and more diverse than just central banks. I would encourage you to utilize and understand ALL the information that is available.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2019 11:40AM

Supply

• Options
    edited August 12, 2019 11:41AM

Demand

• Options

most central banks are not buying gold on the open market.