Home Precious Metals
Options

Hi-Ho Silver, Away !

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's going on with the metal, for those of you that like to ride this horse.

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little catch-up probably with gold.

The GSR has a long way to go for silver outperforming gold.

I still think 16 USD or in my case $22 Canadian, is still a no brainer to sock away a lot of the shiney stuff!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based mainly on the GSR, nearly everyone's been saying that silver is undervalued relative to gold. We shall see.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019 4:18AM

50:1 is the ratio correct? Anyone want to trade 50 oz. of silver for an oz. of gold :)

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is not tied to gold.... They are separate markets....Yes, they do have some commonality (jewelry for example)...but silver also has many commercial applications, while gold is more of an economic tool...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    50:1 is the ratio correct? Anyone want to trade 50 oz. of silver for an oz. of gold :)

I will

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

I will too!
    Hint: your ratio is wrong.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CuKevin said:

@morgansforever said:

I will too!
    Hint: your ratio is wrong.

me too!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count me in.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

I'd have to ask What side of the trade would you be on?

• Options

Just a joke, my 50oz. of silver for your 1 oz. of the yellow metal.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2019 9:09PM

I was buying silver mid aughts at $8-$12 all the way up to $14.00 then I cooled off, thinking it was getting too high. Felt like an idiot for not selling at about $20 after it tanked down to about $11.00...then it started to rise, then rocket. Sold most of my silver in the high teens low twenties thinking I was a genius back in 2009-2010.

I had my house paid off and considered pulling out 100-150K on a home equity line to buy silver at $40 an ounce. It was basically going up in price every day. How could I lose? (where is that shame Icon). I didn't do it. I was close. I was hooked and part of that greed mania of a bubble.

Be careful, when silver takes off, it is so easy to get caught up in it. But before you buy go look at a historical silver chart. The price has been trending down and looks a lot different than the chart looked when silver was poised to rise.

I buy some silver just because I love it, but it is the kind of money I would spend if I played golf...entertainment money.

• Options

"I had my house paid off and considered pulling out 100-150K on a home equity line to buy silver at $40 an ounce".

Thank goodness you didn't pull the trigger, think about the hole you would be in now if you had.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty happy with this micro spike which sparked buyers interest on silver. Got rid of one third I what I have left on the initial part of this spike, and now as spot gets very close to my original asking price, I'm hoping it gets noticed to get rid of more. Not so much stuck on spot because later when it goes back down, I'll wish I could have sold it for what I'm asking now which is less that $1 over. Last thing I want to be stuck with is bulk dead-metal (Warren Buffet) back in the $14's again. I'll always be a collector but on a smaller scale for enjoyment only.

COA
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great summary jmsk52 & your reasons for investing in silver is sound. I just feel sorry for those misguided folks, who've been accumulating silver for a SHTF scenario since 2008. They are still deep in "shift." ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s ...There used to be some forum members with higher totals.... have not seen them in quite a while...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Silver is not tied to gold.... They are separate markets....Yes, they do have some commonality (jewelry for example)...but silver also has many commercial applications, while gold is more of an economic tool...Cheers, RickO

With all due respect, silver tends to follow gold's price movement. Normally when demand for one increases, demand for the other increases. Silver will follow gold up and because the GSR is so heavily favoring gold, silver will see a greater percentage of price increase. Anyone wanting to profit on near term PM price increases would do best with silver. The only real difference in price mechanism is that silver is more volatile.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Never base any investment on a perceived correlation, lest you become derryb, lol, correlations especially ones espoused above are nonsense and will leave you holding a big bag of crap, might as well burn your money on lighting up a good cigar instead...

Normally, favoring, will, gsr, wanting and would, are all destroyers of capital...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry to hear you didn't know when to sell your silver.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish it would just pop already, I've got a storage problem and in my world it can't happen soon enough. I swear when I dump it all for gold this time round I'll never go back.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally, favoring, will, gsr, wanting and would, are all destroyers of capital

Which are all dwarfed by hope.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having too much silver is a problem I wish I had. :D

• Options

I've found that they are sufficiently divergent to provide some buffering in volatility. They don't always move together, nor do they always diverge. That works for me.

I do note that platinum and silver seem to be more highly correlated, which kinda helps with the silver bulk storage problem if you can tolerate the buy-sell spread of platinum due to it's lower liquidity.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Sold my entire 90% holdings at just over $41/oz the last time it ran wild.

Very astute move - hard to do with an entire stash. Congrats! :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Another winner, that’s awesome, good for you...

keceph `anah
  • Options

Exactly! To read some people's comments, you would think that buying silver is the biggest mistake anyone could ever make.

That's simply not the case. Take good care of your finances, and your finances will take care of you.

It's called "money management".

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@rawteam1 said:

Indeed. Reason again reigns victorious over emotion.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Sold my entire 90% holdings at just over $41/oz the last time it ran wild.

Very astute move - hard to do with an entire stash. Congrats! :)

Why would it be hard to sell an entire stash? Is silver illiquid? Is there no guarantee of an orderly market?

These are things that one would want to know about in a prospectus.