Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ray Dalio says buy gold

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

he is a titan for a reason

• Options

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been buying a few nice gold coins for 40 years, no good reason to quit now.

The Federal Reserve will have to drop interest rates to zero over the next several years and Congress will have to raise the debt ceiling over and over to avoid bond defaults. The US dollar's strength and demand in the World is starting to show signs of weakness.

Don't forget silver. It skyrocketed the last two days, as all kinds of short sellers had to buy to cover, as rumor is China has been a big player in the commodity market and may actually take physical silver delivery.

Smart folks should be wanting real assets now, not Federal Reserve Notes that can be created out of thin air electronically.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Is that gold dust on the telephone?

:o

I didn't know those phones with cords still existed. Obviously it does not get a lot of use. LOL

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ray is right.
    Keep up the good work, troops!
    I will continue to diversify with platinum.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny. :)

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 2:05PM

@ACop said:
    Ray already has gold. Now he wants you to buy gold so he can sell his.

You got that right. Of course I own gold and I want you all to buy and pump it up too. Y'all may as well start buying some silver also. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@ACop said:

You got that right. Of course I own gold and I want you all to buy and pump it up too. Y'all may as well start buying some silver also. lol

Im waiting for puka shells to get hot.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Paulson encouraged people to buy gold when it was $1,900. No thank you.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking to one of the major players today, and they said they had so much in overstock right now it wasn't even funny. So much coming in, but not anywhere near going out.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Is that gold dust on the telephone?

No just dust 😊 ......not hooked up yet but when it does a phone call to my office in St Louis will ring in my home in Oregon where I work from .

I didn't know those phones with cords still existed. Obviously it does not get a lot of use. LOL

It will shortly ...... 🤓

@coinpalice said:
    he is a titan for a reason

Yes he is .....manages a ton (billions)!with terrific track record

So if you don’t own any gold bullion I would buy it now. Also silver.

Don’t you think it is underowned?

I do .

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    I was talking to one of the major players today, and they said they had so much in overstock right now it wasn't even funny. So much coming in, but not anywhere near going out.

Main street won't get onboard until prices are significantly higher. For some reason the masses like to hold off on buying until bubble territory. Wait until gold surpasses $1600 and silver breaks $25. Buyers will be coming out of the woodwork.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes it is absolutely under owned. you would be surprised how many people on these boards only own silver

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Groovy!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 6:33PM

When the pundits (even Ray Dalio) are pimping gold. It is already way too late. There will be a lot of people buried in the metal in a year's time. Of course, with Trump talking currency devaulation and the fed looking to ruin savers, gold may really break out this time.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

Wrong. Gold just broke thru a major resistance level.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

So youre saying buy high?

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 8:52PM

@ACop said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

Ok, smart guy, compared to what?
    If you don’t understand technical analysis, then you should read and learn.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2019 12:35AM

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

Look my beef isnt with you and sorry i didnt mean to make it look that way. Its with these pumping analysts. I have a series 3 so i certainly understand TA. I also know you dont offer your opinion unless youre trying to make money. These guys are charlatans.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like we are heading for another 'buy high, sell low' cycle ;) Everyone will get in on the upswing and hold until the downside.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

The race to the bottom with keystroked fiat debt-based money continues. If $23 trillion and an unknown, massive amount of off-the books unsustainable obligations hasn't sunk gov.com bond financing yet, there's no reason to think that anything will change.

However, there is a contrarian case for gold as an IMF Tier 1 Asset and loss of the dollar as the world's reserve currency to be made about all of this. The gross mismanagement of our financial system and manipulation of our money won't continue indefinitely. Dalio is right about paradigm shifts.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

Look my beef isnt with you and sorry i didnt mean to make it look that way. Its with these pumping analysts. I have a series 3 so i certainly understand TA. I also know you dont offer your opinion unless youre trying to make money. These guys are charlatans.

The global gold market is far bigger than Ray Dalio. His comments may move the market a few dollars for just one day but that's pretty insignificant for anyone holding gold and not flipping it by the hour. Regardless of Dalio's motive, gold may go up or down but just because he says "buy" don't assume gold is at its high and its time to sell.

• Options

If Ray Dalio buys gold, does he sell it at the local coin shop when he wants out and to take his profits?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    If Ray Dalio buys gold, does he sell it at the local coin shop when he wants out and to take his profits?

No. He probably takes it to the traveling motel buyers. ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@jdimmick said:

Main street won't get onboard until prices are significantly higher. For some reason the masses like to hold off on buying until bubble territory. Wait until gold surpasses $1600 and silver breaks $25. Buyers will be coming out of the woodwork.

Just in time for them to ride it back down to $1300 and $15

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    yes it is absolutely under owned. you would be surprised how many people on these boards only own silver

I'm usually more surprised that people still stack rocks....

• Options

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

What percentage of price gains actually occur AFTER a resistance break confirms the existence of the upward trend?

And if you wait to sell until it crosses the same support level on the way down, what percent of the downward movement has already occurred?

Just saying... If TA were 100% predictive, everyone with graph paper would be wealthy.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a rotary phone I bought around 1980 that functions fine except that the current systems aren't set up for that. I also have a corded push button phone for use when the power goes out.

never have had a cell phone and won't until I'm forced to by tech advances.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FSF said:
    If technical analysis were so obvious or a learn-able trait to any degree, the world would be full of billionaires. Whenever a chart pattern shows that a resistance has been broken, it has a good chance of going up and has a good chance of going down. There is no reliable pattern from history draw upon. That is unequivocal fact.

As for Ray or anyone else who wants to make a bullish call, it means absolutely nothing. How many dozens of legitimate bullish and bear calls in gold have been made in just the last few years alone, the vast majority of which came to absolutely no fruition? Too many to count. If gold does go up, it will only be coincidence.

No one can predict the future.

But there's no question many individuals have insight into the fundamental forces that push the economy in various directions. Some of these individuals can spot the effects of the forces in chart patterns. While I have relatively little respect for technical analysis the fact is these charts are not the sole source of information they use to make predictions. There are some individuals who do relatively well with this sort of analysis but like all prediction it has aspects of reading tea leaves.

Expert opinion really means nothing in any field but even in such inscrutable a field as economics there are still some whose opinion has value and all can provide insight. Make your own predictions and don't keep all your golden eggs in one basket.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I think technical analysis is bunk. You might as well read tea leaves, as read charts.

I am also very skeptical of an "experts" trying to tell you how to trade. I have even been know to use it as a contrarian indicator, although I typically just ignore it as irrelevant.

• Options

@Tomthecoinguy said:
    I think technical analysis is bunk. You might as well read tea leaves, as read charts.

I am also very skeptical of an "experts" trying to tell you how to trade. I have even been know to use it as a contrarian indicator, although I typically just ignore it as irrelevant.

I thought you were always supposed to believe anything that an "expert" says. ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

Speaking of Cramer, what are his “thoughts” on precious metals?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthecoinguy said:

It's almost silly to consider physical metal as a trading asset.
    It's almost stupid and overtrusting of the debt ridden country we live in to NOT just ..have.. physical as a form of savings that is not ALL your assets.

I like gold specifically because it is underowned. This is a great target for any interests that would like to take out the USA.

I watch who is buying in quantity.

That shouldn't be reassuring to those who think gold is of no use as a holding. B)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold and silver have a solid future. Numismatic material is another story unless influx new investors.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

""Ray Dalio says buy gold""

Sparky64 says send money.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Gold and silver have a solid future. Numismatic material is another story unless influx new investors.

Historically, metal "runs" quite often bring an influx of new coin folks.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2019 9:38AM

@ShadyDave said:

Well, in defense of this thread, it did break some support levels.

• Options

The real winners in the precious metals market are the buyers/sellers who make a percentage on every trade.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    The real winners in the precious metals market are the buyers/sellers who make a percentage on every trade.

Like coin shops. Customers were always amazed that ups or downs never upset me. Every sale was a profit.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

JNUG and NUGT doing real well. Should have bought a lot more! GLTA
    I have a land line phone also. Kinda like the bat phone. Only rings from special folk.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@jdimmick said:

Agreed. Most of the general public buys high and sells low, then never again. That seems to be a pattern.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2019 1:46PM

This time is different. ;)

PS. I buy all the time, so I never buy high, or sell low. B)

When gold hits $1,995 and silver $25+, I will sell some for a change. Not getting much younger.

Edited, to say, yes I keep a land line phone in spite of my prior comments which were in jest, and some have taken literally. And a Geiger counter, faraday cage, backup paper documents, generators, solar panels, several assorted things with barrels and cartridges, a well with manual pump, and other various necessities of modern life.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2019 3:45PM

@ARCO said:

GLD

@jmlanzaf said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ACop said:

What percentage of price gains actually occur AFTER a resistance break confirms the existence of the upward trend?

About 10%...then consolidates ...i see it going to $1480-1500 near term.

And if you wait to sell until it crosses the same support level on the way down, what percent of the downward movement has already occurred?

I think this move is for real ...but could test a support level. ( former resistance level)

Just saying... If TA were 100% predictive, everyone with graph paper would be wealthy.

No they would not because most people do not put their money where their mouth ( or Brains ) are.

@FSF said:
    If technical analysis were so obvious or a learn-able trait to any degree, the world would be full of billionaires.

Same answer....No they would not because most people do not put their money where their mouth ( or Brains ) are.

Whenever a chart pattern shows that a resistance has been broken, it has a good chance of going up and has a good chance of going down. There is no reliable pattern from history draw upon. That is unequivocal fact.

Dalio does more than trade in gold ...with his billions and experience he sees a bigger picture than everyone on this board ........including me!

• Options

@keets said:

I still have a rotary phone I bought around 1980 that functions fine except that the current systems aren't set up for that. I also have a corded push button phone for use when the power goes out.

never have had a cell phone and won't until I'm forced to by tech advances.

Sheesh Keets, you are really fighting progress aren't you? :) Next thing you'll tell us is that you still read the daily paper.

• Options

I like to buy close tp support levels not above resistance myself. An old crazy idea of buy low sell high.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2019 3:03PM

@bidask said:

Dalio does more than trade in gold ...with his billions and experience he sees a bigger picture than everyone on this board ........including me!

I really like Dalio. During the last crisis, Kyle Bass made predictions that earned him superstar status. Now? He hasn't been right much. Meridith Whitney from the recession post 2001, same story

Out of a thousand eager wealth managers, they all make predictions. The few that guessed right are elevated to guru status, not because they were prescient, but because the odds of a couple of people forecasting (guessing) correctly happens.

The metals have a nasty way of having the rug pulled out from them, no rhyme or reason. True, buying as an asset class breaks resistance levels tends to work in the short term, but, buying long before the asset class was ever in favor works all that much better.

The only person I know who bought gold right was my pops who loaded up in the $350-$400 range. Surely others have too, but at this level, you can ride it up or down and you are still winning no matter what. Buying in now has much less upside and a lot more uncertainty about its long term trend.

We are in an everything bubble according to many, gold included.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file