Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Longacre wept when he saw his old auction catalogs sitting idle on the floor...

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
edited July 16, 2019 11:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

As I write these words, dear readers, your very own Longacre is fresh off of a jaunt around one of the largest used book sales in the Northeast held in his hometown.

Two years ago, Longacre's personal valet, Consuelo, very nicely suggested that it was taking quite a long time to dust the stacks in the library, parts of which contained rather pedestrian, common coin auction catalogs (Heritage, Goldberg, etc.). Smelling a tax benefit, Longacre donated many of these catalogs to his local library's booksale.

Last year, the catalogs were displayed, at a price of around $2 each. I assumed they would sell like hotcakes. However, this year, while perusing the "collectibles" section, I noticed that a rather large number of Longacre-provenance catalogs remained unsold, and were offered again this year for sale. In fact, there were so many that there were a few boxes of catalogs placed on the floor below the tables, since the tables could not fit all the books. Seeing this, I am not embarrassed to admit that Longacre wept. To my knowledge, a significant portion of the catalogs did not sell again this year, and perhaps may be offered again next year.

Questions:

1. What does this say about the state of our hobby?
  2. Has our hobby devalued paper catalogs, the information of which can be found on a cell phone and on the internet
  3. Do only the big name sales have value to collectors, whereas the common sale catalogs simply have no value?
  4. It is foolish to think that donating old catalogs would provide an impetus to someone to start collecting, and the catalogs would be better placed in the landfill?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, everything is on the internet.

I do not have to "store" bulky catalogs.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold most of my 40 year accumulation on eBay two or three years ago for what I thought were good prices. I batched them by year by auction company and several buyers bought multiple lots, Your local library has to hope the right person shows up at the right time during their once or twice a year sale. On the other hand eBay made my catalogs available to the entire collecting world 24/7.

I'm sure the availability of tons of catalogs available on the Newman Numismatic Portal has cut down demand considerably but there are still folks out there that would rather have a paper copy. Maybe the library could encourage one of their employees or library sale volunteers to list them on eBay. Just a thought.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

It says more about the state of the world than it does about the hobby. For the hobby, there is still a fair amount of information that's not online yet. There is a risk of throwing away information before it gets online if some of these catalogs are just thrown away.

For me the main value of old sale catalogs are in determining provenance and to possibly try to estimate existing populations for the most rare coins.

On that basis, some catalogs do have to value and should be kept. I'd say that most don't.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also with @BillJones on giving them away. That is what I have been doing with the ones I have left. I've been carrying 20 pounds or so to my monthly show and placing the on the "info" table in the lobby. They are usually all gone by the time I leave. I've also been doing this with old red books.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many collectors like the coins and are not interested in auctions or price history. The fact that the catalogs go unsold is likely more an indication that those numismatists with such interests are already in possession of the catalogs they want....Plus, for those collectors 45 and younger (arbitrary age selection), the internet is their source of information. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Perhaps if each catalog had a gilded notation ‘Longacre pedigree’ … might that sticker quickly move those boxes off the floor? ;)

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more catalogs that go up on the Newman Numismatic Portal, the easier it is for me to lighten the load through recycling. I too have tried the club & show giveaway route with about 20% going away and 80% hauled home to go into the green can.

My next decision is on many years of exonumia catalogs, many from defunct entities -- I'll probably try the Bay to see if there is any interest, otherwise...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KentuckyJ said:
    Perhaps if each catalog had a gilded notation ‘Longacre pedigree’ … might that sticker quickly move those boxes off the floor? ;)

If the sticker were an oval with a holographic version of the Longacre monogram that is hand embroidered on his handkerchiefs, I don't see how the hoi polloi could resist.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the #4 camp, but recycle them. Although I prefer the idea of giving them away at clubs or shows. I kept mine for a long time, but came to rely on other sources.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly, one could donate them to the local library or Good Will and then deduct the FMV from one's personal income tax. The library/GW would, of course, simply recycle the paper.

Alternatively, Consuela could use the pages to make large paper mache images of coins and medals for display at the ANA, CSNS and other venues. Some could be sent to main Treasury as conversation pieces.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "I would LOVE to speak at the FUN shows, but I can't get passed the education director. Unless you are famous or are giving out a free book, it's hard to get people to come. I got to speak at one FUN show and had about 25 to 30 people. My topic was "A year set of 1795 coins" which included everything from the half cent to the $10 gold piece.

I have Power Point presentations. lots of photos and lots to share, but the interest is limited."

I feel attendance is also limited by having education activities separated from the bourse floor. Coin shows/conventions are too small to require separation, so most of the event can and should be consolidated in a single large space or connected spaces. Sound isolation modules are available for rent, so there is no excuse except possibly laziness.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like an opportunity to double up those tax benefits by buying them all back.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    Sounds like an opportunity to double up those tax benefits by buying them all back.

thats what I was thinking!

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    RE: "I would LOVE to speak at the FUN shows, but I can't get passed the education director. Unless you are famous or are giving out a free book, it's hard to get people to come. I got to speak at one FUN show and had about 25 to 30 people. My topic was "A year set of 1795 coins" which included everything from the half cent to the $10 gold piece.

I have Power Point presentations. lots of photos and lots to share, but the interest is limited."

I feel attendance is also limited by having education activities separated from the bourse floor. Coin shows/conventions are too small to require separation, so most of the event can and should be consolidated in a single large space or connected spaces. Sound isolation modules are available for rent, so there is no excuse except possibly laziness.

**** but I can't get passed the education director. **** love you RWB, but I believe the grammatically correct word is past. ;)

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newman Portal itself has hundreds of auction catalogs that we are ready to donate to a worthy organization in return for postage (or you pickup in St. Louis). This offer is valid to non-profit numismatic organizations only, not to individuals. PM me if interested. Most catalogs from the 1960s and up.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I eventually donated or recycled a bunch of catalogs from the 1990's. Since I don't possess any super-high value coins where a record of the provenance story would mildly interesting, there's almost zero chance I would ever find time or reason to look at them.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    Newman Portal itself has hundreds of auction catalogs that we are ready to donate to a worthy organization in return for postage (or you pickup in St. Louis). This offer is valid to non-profit numismatic organizations only, not to individuals. PM me if interested. Most catalogs from the 1960s and up.

Contact the ANA Library. They hold a library sale during their summer seminar and always have and move a bunch of catalogs.

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Longacre provenance just isn't held in the same regard as it used to be

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Possibly, one could donate them to the local library or Good Will and then deduct the FMV from one's personal income tax. The library/GW would, of course, simply recycle the paper.

Apparently the FMV is less than $2. If any more is being "deducted", then it needs to be reduced.

If you buy them back for $2, then that is the FMV. Doubly so, as even at $2, they were not selling.

Read IRS Pub. 526.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few auction catalogs have any value. A local used bookstore has had several on its shelves for many years. I don't think any have sold.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I routinely file my auction catalogs in the round can outside.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of old catalogs have research notes and other data from prior numismatists...I wonder how many babies are being thrown out with the bathwater? Also, who is making sure the scans we all rely on are legible and complete, including ads, covers and the above mentioned notations? Who decides the notes to keep? Let me see, I have Mehl's and Kaplan's notes so I can throw away the Haseltine, Cogan and Strobridge.

PS. I agree on 2-20 year-old Stack's, etc. pitch them (except for special collections).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 6:59PM

When I was more active; I used to receive them like crazy from just about every action company. Haven't received any in years. I don't know if it's because of my lower activity level or just because everyone has gone electronic these days. Also, I do tend to buy more from dealers, now, than from auction houses, which may be yet another contributing factor. I have stacks upon piles of them from that earlier time period. Most are still in pristine condition. I just can't bring myself to throw them away. For some odd reason; I feel that they still have some type of worth as a reference and/or for their historical value. Since I am not receiving any more; I will just keep them but they do take up a lot of space!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

@Longacre said:

1. Has our hobby devalued paper catalogs, the information of which can be found on a cell phone and on the internet?

What is this "paper" of which you speak?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consuelo is getting uppity with her complaints.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

I am likely in the minority here but I still like paper books, catalogs, and periodicals. Even as a young collector who uses the internet a lot, I prefer hard copies. For example, I usually wait to read the Numismatist each month until the paper copy arrives. Also, I usually only read physical books unless they are only available online. However, the internet definitely makes research a lot easier.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer to see the glass as half full. Actually, more like three quarters.

Yes, I'm now trashing, re-gifting and de-accessioning more auction catalogs than ever. But I'm also receiving more than ever, and the number of keepers is probably increasing every year.

Similar things are happening with my reference books. It's incredible how much great work is being done and getting published these days, and my library keeps on growing.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file