Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help me understand the history behind Hard Times tokens and later Store Cards or Merchant tokens.

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand that it dealt with the Second Bank of the United States a partially private, partially public bank. I know that Andrew Jackson disliked it and set things in motion to dismantle it and that his VP Martin Van Buren essentially continued it and was the actual President during the Hard Times though the public's hatred got directed at both men equally it seems.

Those are the basics that I understand. From reading it seems like the beginnings of the bank were hindered by illegal activities by directors and branch employees, and poor decisions the begin with. That shifted public opinion against the bank. Later though it seems like the bank got on the right footing and finally started accomplishing its goal of stabilizing the economy, reducing inflation from all the private and previous public currency being produced etc. So why then was Jackson et al still so much against the bank? It seems from reading that this was a much more political issue for them than a practical one and when it all started falling apart, their responses made things worse not better? I think I read somewhere that some politicians were even trying to compare if the Gov't can make national banks, they can abolish slavery and I have no idea how those two things relate.

Unfortunately I have a terrible grasp at economics and a lot of the websites I've tried to read kinda go over my head when they start talking about Jeffersonian agrarianism and things like the wikipedia page goes into. I feel like to learn about this properly I need to learn about 27 other economic topics first!

Second half to my question is about Store Cards or Merchant Tokens. A lot of people seem to lump these all in together though as I understand it, they are about a decade later than Hard Times tokens. Are these two separate things that should be in two different discussions or are they just some form or carry over where slowly the political commentary on the tokens fell away and the practicality of using them as an in store credit/advertising became standard? Were they still used because Large Cents were being hoarded or did people just like them? I read RogerB's thread a few months back about the Mint being angry about these counterfeit coins and wanting them to be arrested etc. Was there some final legal decision that found them not illegal? It seems like there are so many of them the government no longer pursued shutting them down, or merchants didn't care.

Thanks in advance! I hope others will find this interesting too.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019 1:58PM

I have a book on this subject its about 3.5" Thick. It talks about the history but I just look at the pictures looking for matching tokens in my possesion. I will see if I can find the title and post a picture of it. Maybe later I will open it up and actually read about the history that it talks about. But I mainly buy these to look at the nice pictures. I am one of those that hate reading but I love movies.
    Geez 1248 pages no wonder I have not read it! :D
    Standard Catalog United States Tokens 1700-1900
    by Russell Rulau
    The most extensive source available for the collector of U.S. tokens goes a step further in this new 2nd edition. You'll find 50% more information, better photos, updated pricing and carefully revised listings. Every token from colonial tunes to the dawn of the 20th century is cataloged and priced in this handy, one-volume library. Russell Rulau combines coverage of Early American, U.S. Merchant, Hard Times, Civil War, U.S. Trade and Gay Nineties tokens for a solid primer and reference took suitable fur beginning and veteran collectors.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

My knowledge on these issues is much shallower than yours.

As I understand it, there was a severe recession bordering on depression in the US circa 1837 and that drove coins from circulation, and private issuers and merchants stepped in with private tokens, many of which resembled the center of the era. (There are some great slogans on many of those which offer great history lessons).

A couple and a half decades later there was a Civil War and the same shortage of small coins once again led to private issues. As I understood it, the feds stepped in at some point (1864 or so?) and put an end to it.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2019 8:24PM

Hard Time Tokens Introduction 1 of over 1200 pages.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo ...Thanks for the bit of history... I think I will add that book to my library... I do not collect these, but often see them and associated discussions here...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo excellent response. I have a few HTT that I picked up over the years As well as Rulau's book, but never bothered to read the section you posted. Thanks for posting that reference

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thanks so much everyone!
    @Gluggo I had seen reference to that book in a few articles, thanks for posting those images. I ordered the Bowers Red Book on HT tokens. I’ll keep a look out for this one as well.

@BillJones Thanks you very much for the detailed history lesson, it helps a lot! I hadn’t read anything about his personal dealings early in life, and didn’t understand who his core supporters were, working people as opposed to the bankers etc.

I imagine it’s easy for economists and political scholars to look back at it now and see the signs and obvious errors, but at the time the country was only 50ish years old and their understandings and perspectives were probably much different.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be aware that there are three main catalogs that cover the Hard Times token series, all of which still have relevance in one way or another to this day:

1. Hard Times Tokens by Lyman H. Low, 1899. The classic reference for HTTs and the base for the more current works. Some collectors still consider the 164 pieces listed by Low as the gold standard and limit their collection to the original Low listings.

2. Hard TImes Tokens 1832 - 1844 by Russell Rulau, 9th edition (last) 2002. Rulau greatly expanded the depth of HTT coverage by including new discoveries, store card issues that fit (or sometimes only partially fit) the time period, counterstamped Federal coinage that fit (or partially fit) the time period through directory research, additional political tokens not covered in Low, cardboard tickets here & there, some gizmos and some objects d' art such as an engraved animal horn. While the foo-foo and semi-dross are mostly ignored, a number of the additions are regarded as legit and recognized as part of the series. HT numbers are used by most exonumia dealers & auction houses with original Low numbers also included when needed. Rulau listings are numbered into the mid-500 range with many extra sub-listings and even more in the various appendices. The 9th edition of the Rulau catalog is a convenient stand-alone work; the HTT section in the large Rulau 1700 - 1900 catalog is considered the 8th edition.

3. A Guide Book Of Hard Times Tokens by Q. David Bowers, 2015, part of the Whitman series of "Official" catalogs. Bowers tightened up the listings by excluding much of the peripheral material included in Rulau, as well as c/s, etc. A few tokens that fit the time period are added but some HT pieces that should be there, aren't. The catalog goes much deeper into the history of the period and the history of the individual merchants and is by far the best in that regard. Listings are priced in several grades (often generously) with auction records of the scarce to rare pieces included. Bowers introduces his own detailed but somewhat clumsy numbering system but also includes the Low & HT #'s for each piece.

I would recommend buying both the Bowers work for the history, clear color photos and more up to date pricing ($29.95 list, often available at a good discount) and the 9th edition (gold cover) of Rulau (out of print) for it's expanded coverage, useful details & numbering (the 8th edition included in the 1700 - 1900 catalog is an adequate substitute)

• Options

On my United States Token book I was able to buy it from one of the good members here and was able to get a good price. I think mine is from 2004 Edition. Not sure what the latest is but if your patient you can find one reasonably priced. It looked a bit pricy in Amazon. Maybe even ask for it in the BST.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Informative and useful thread !

• Options

@tokenpro Thanks for explaining the differences in the reference books, that helps a lot, I was having difficulty figuring out which would be good to look for given there were so many out of print editions.

@BillJones Thank you once again! I've seen several of these tokens referenced on websites and on eBay but wasn't certain but all of the different slogans and iconology meant. A follow up question, what does "Slow Pay" refer to? I'm not sure I understand the term.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

A follow up question, what does "Slow Pay" refer to? I'm not sure I understand the term.

"Slow Pay" - If you send someone a bill, it takes them a long time to pay to you. Time is money. That is why a few businesses offer discounts if you pay right away. For example. " 2 - 10, net 30." If you pay within ten days, you get a 2% discount. If you wait 30 days, you pay 100%.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Ahh ok I understand!

• Options
    edited July 16, 2019 12:05PM

Here is an example of the granddaddy of all Hard Times Tokens, Low #1. That number actually covers three sub die varieties. In general, the pro Andrew Jackson tokens are much scarcer than the anti-Jackson pieces.

The obverse is Andrew Jackson. The reverse has to slogans. “The Bank Must Perish” refers to end of 20 year charter the bank got in 1816 which ran out in 1836. Henry Clay, Jackson’s 1832 presidential opponent, got a bill through Congress that would have renewed the charter, but Jackson vetoed it. Congress could not override the veto and that set up the major issue for the 1832 presidential election.

“The Union Must and Shall be Preserved” refers to a more complicated issue. During this time there were protective tariffs on imported goods. The South ended up paying a lot of these taxes because they imported goods mostly from England and the rest of Europe. Northern manufacturers benefited because the foreign goods were made more expensive, and that allowed them to charge higher prices what they produced.

The South rebelled against this, and passed laws to nullify the tariffs. This became known as the Nullification movement. The Nullification movement was centered in South Carolina with Senator John C. Calhoun had its head. Calhoun had been the vice president under Jackson, and he resign the office over this and other issues.

Jackson held firm. He threatened to send the army to South Carolina for enforce the law. Some people saw that as a states’ rights issue that the institution of slavery lurking behind it. South Carolina backed down, but Jackson did quietly have the tariffs lowered after the crisis had passed.

This token is very scarce and popular. This example is okay, but not great. It's still worth a few thousand dollars. The nice ones have ranged in price from $10,000 to over $20,000 depending upon which big collectors want one at a given time. I'd like to up grade it, but that has never worked out.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I hadn't realized there were Pro Jackson tokens as well, I guess as you said since they're rarer I just haven't come across one. All of these things sort of laying out the beginnings of the civil war several decades later.

• Options

I think I agree, I like the holed one better in your first example there. I guess you could really narrow your field of collection down even in Hard Times tokens if you wanted to, only collecting Pro Jackson tokens, or only against him or some similar design. Do the merchant tokens also count as Hard Times tokens or are they considered separate because they are not related directly to the politics of Jackson/Van Buren? I guess I'm asking what is the dividing line or main topic that makes something a hard time token?

• Options
    edited July 17, 2019 6:00AM

@SiriusBlack said:
    I think I agree, I like the holed one better in your first example there. I guess you could really narrow your field of collection down even in Hard Times tokens if you wanted to, only collecting Pro Jackson tokens, or only against him or some similar design. Do the merchant tokens also count as Hard Times tokens or are they considered separate because they are not related directly to the politics of Jackson/Van Buren? I guess I'm asking what is the dividing line or main topic that makes something a hard time token?

The Hard Times Tokens have a date window that runs from say 1828 until 1844. The economic depression lasted from 1837 until 1843 or ‘44.

The large cent size political and merchant tokens that were issued during that period are virtually all Hard Times Tokens. Pieces of other sizes qualify too. Political tokens issued for John Quincy Adams. Henry Clay and William Henry Harrison don’t make the cut. Russell Rulau tried to add some generic William Henry Harrison political pieces to the mix, but they did not seem to catch on with Hard Times collectors as official parts of the set. I think that those pieces have at least a historical spot in a Hard Times collection.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all for the education!! Especially @BillJones .

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread guys! Over the last couple of years I've been occassionally picking up different pieces. Their a very interesting and important part of political and economic history.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2019 12:09PM

Spacehayduke beautiful Tokens and amazing photos.
    Here are a few I picked these up from a Steve Hayden Auction. Had to resize these a bit to big.

• Options

Great tokens, @spacehayduke and @Gluggo thank you for sharing some! I’m really enjoying all the interaction and knowledge being shared here.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks! I've downloaded them to my iPad so I can read them!

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread! Thanks for the history lesson. Here are a few of my Hard Times tokens:

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file