Home U.S. Coin Forum

US Mint or Moonlight Mint?...

CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
The more you VAM..

Comments

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    I like it.

Me too..

The more you VAM..
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not terrible, but something looks off about the eyes. Like she's high or sleepy or something.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

BOTH no limits when it comes to coins

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

Looks great, but why are the sculptor-engraver initials so prominently displayed on modern coins?

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagle looks great. Miss Liberty has a rat on her hair.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks freakish. Are they trying to scare away new collectors? :#

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not polite to beat-down the U.S. Mint - Although I agree the portrait is not well modeled.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eyes remind me of "Fatal Attraction". Call me crazy.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the silver one. Is the model of African descent? I hope it is :)

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

:(

@johnny9434 said:
    I like the silver one. Is the model of African descent? I hope it is :)

And to have it struck in high relief.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double dig it. Clean fields, simple design, great Eagle, thanks for posting the pics.
    That being said, I will not buy it directly from the Mint as these have not been doing well. The premium is so high, compared to other bullion. Maybe a FS70 later, when pricing has dropped, as I am sure PCGS will provide an excellent holder and display slab.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Model looks Asian to me. That is fine, the rendition, well, not so great IMO.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the sun burst out of her brain...

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design, but the artistry is lacking. Cant the Mint find a true sculptor to handwork these? Everything looks like it was designed using a computer

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I know what looks weird to me. Way too much eyelid showing, both top and bottom. Looks like she is sleepy, or mad, or high, or something goofy.

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like her hair gel jar blew up in her face. Eagle is nice.

Very cool that the silver and gold have a different appearance, judging from the photos.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys, I didn't post this to micro pick apart the new design but to compare the general style to that of the general minimalist art deco style of many of Dan's pieces. I guess this must be the groups first look at it, which wasn't my intention but have at it, I guess. Personally I like it. Yeah, there are a few minor elements like the eye that could have possibly been thought out a bit better but I have a feeling this coin is going to stun in-hand being in High-Relief and might just be an uber hot mint product on go day.. Just a guess.

The more you VAM..
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2019 8:39PM

@dcarr said:

@philographer said:

Maybe it is just a light bulb going off in her head ?

This is another instance where one artist does the graphic design and another artist (working in isolation) sculpts it. That is not an optimal design process, in my opinion.

The design is pretty nice, although I see a couple things that I personally would do differently.
    The hair is a little "greasy" looking and it truncates awkwardly after passing over the ear.
    Where the hair joins that back of the neck seems a little unrealistic to me.
    And the eye looks a little like that of a chameleon.

I agree with everything except for the nice design part. I would be very surprised to see you churn out anything that looks like this. It is poorly executed and completely lacks creativity.

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

For some reason this facial depiction just looks wrong—-it’s either the eyes or the cheeks; or both

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

She looks like she's recently had a blepheroplasty (like I did.)

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good attempt at something artistic rather than flat and cartoonish (finally) but the eyes look like those of a person with hyperthyroidism.
    Now if this were the Miss Liberty from the 1795 flowing hair dollar, collectors could really get excited about it.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
    edited July 13, 2019 5:19AM

@dcarr said:
    The design is pretty nice, although I see a couple things that I personally would do differently.
    The hair is a little "greasy" looking and it truncates awkwardly after passing over the ear.

The hair over the ear looks like the flames that are painted on a car.
    Overall, I still like it. The eagle side will look fantastic in high relief.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design... an artistic departure from recent trends of mint products.....both will be incredibly overpriced, however, I will likely get the silver edition....Cheers, RickO

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the silver version will be priced just like the rest of the silver medals....$39.95

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@dcarr said:

@philographer said:

Maybe it is just a light bulb going off in her head ?

This is another instance where one artist does the graphic design and another artist (working in isolation) sculpts it. That is not an optimal design process, in my opinion.

Where the hair joins that back of the neck seems a little unrealistic to me.
    And the eye looks a little like that of a chameleon.

I agree with everything except for the nice design part. I would be very surprised to see you churn out anything that looks like this. It is poorly executed and completely lacks creativity.

To me, it looks like she's missing the back of her head! While I like the rays fanning out to the word LIBERTY, I think it would be more attractive if they gave her a full back of her head, and then have the rays emanating from there.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

FFB... as opposed to BFF.

Oh ... U.S. Mint , to answer the question, but I do like Dan.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first female Remulakian to appear on a United States coin.

• OldMasterOldMaster Posts: 19 ✭✭

I, too, like the design because it's very much a different approach to any Liberty interpretation we've seen thus far on an American coin. I also like the ambiguity of not completely understanding what we're looking at with respect to the rays and the so-called "missing" back of the head. Is it really missing?

The CW article infers that the designer may have been inspired in part by Saint-Gaudens' Indian Head gold $10 eagle. The hair flowing back reminds me a little of the Liberty's hair on the Peace Dollar, although treated not quite so angular.

Liberty's expression is mysterious (and a bit odd), but I will make my final judgment after I have the coin and medal in hand. Too many times I have relied on the Mint's photographs to decide whether I truly like a coin's design, only to be either disappointed or pleasantly surprised.

In other words, all of our comments here are based on a photograph of the object rather than the object itself.

Solid interpretation for an Old Master with a 13 post count.
    Welcome!

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously a product of the new "weed" generation here in the states. Bulging eyes and (poorly) attempted hair styling trend, shaved/slicked tight back of head and long flowing off neck (?). "Exploding" head as described in another thread, portraying some really mind-blowing cannabis. Am I seeing a furled brow "frownie" in the silver? Don't bogart her chips.

Reverse eagle is a LOT of feathers and where does the wing end and breast start??? Head is great tho ~~ an obvious "don't f with me" attitude.

That said, this is nothing new, the Moonlight Mint already did weed tokens many moons ago. I'll likely pick up a silver anyway, might be worth a giggle or two... ;)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 2:09PM

I'll download a photo and save my money for a MM piece.... B)

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 6:22PM

@Hydrant said:
    The first female Remulakian to appear on a United States coin.

O.k., ......here goes; Remulakians are an indigenous and salient species who hail from the planet Remulak. They are often known simply as "CONEHEADS" because of their most prominent feature- their skulls are shaped like a cone.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 6:23PM

I REALLY LIKE the Reverse........but I think the obverse is awful. The ray headdress does not fit Miss Liberty's head well, and looks too much art deco. And her hair flows not from her head but the back of her neck.

I would invite the Mint to utilize our Forum to peer review their designs by experts of coinage, not by political friends and supporters.

OINK

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

I like the design pretty well, and like that the Mint is trying different looks. The important question is "Would you want to date this woman?" I think not. By the look in her eye, it would take a lot to ever get her attention!

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Mnuchin will have Andrew Jackson put on the medal instead?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder if the artist wasn't trying to suck up to Mnuchin with a passing resemblance to Mnuchin's wife.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

"This headdress, however, features 13 rays of light, symbolizing the free and creative spirit of America’s people."

And here all this time dumb old me thought it might have something to do with the 13 original states.
    Live and learn.... :s

edited August 6, 2019 1:39PM

Available 8/15

Silver medal: 2.5oz.............50k max..........no h.h. limit...$99.95

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-2019-high-relief-silver-medal-19DB.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

Gold: 1 oz............50k max...........1 per h.h..................no price set as of now

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-2019-high-relief-gold-coin-19DA.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

BTW...I'll vote for the US Mint...less expensive with a similar good design...

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2019 1:59PM

Without reading this discussion...

The obverse is an UGLY, UN-ARTISTIC, JOKE. Liberty is missing half of her head under a stupid "ray cap."

The art of engraving in this country has been dead and dying for mostly a half century.

I like the reverse. :)

The mint cannot compare to the Carr issues! His work has improved a lot over the years.

@Insider2 said:

The obverse is an UGLY, UN-ARTISTIC, JOKE. Liberty is missing half of her head under a stupid "ray cap."

The art of engraving in this country has been dead and dying for mostly a half century.

The mint cannot compare to the Carr issues! His work has improved a lot over the years.

Wearing a cap would normally hide some of your head. I'm not getting into a piss-ng match regarding D Carr's designs, but I stand by my comment,,,,,"The Mint product is less expensive" To each their own.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2019 4:54PM

@OPA said:

@Insider2 said:

Wearing a cap would normally hide some of your head. I'm not getting into a piss-ng match regarding D Carr's designs, but I stand by my comment,,,,,"The Mint product is less expensive" To each their own.

A civil discussion is not a pissing match! Each of us has different tastes and normally (as long as the two individuals are not complete uninformed "flakes") no one can force another to like the same thing.

Unfortunately, I made an error in my post. THERE IS NO CAP! Liberty has rays coming from the missing part of her head!!! IMHO, they should have filled the EMPTY SPACE above her head with the outline of a cap midway through the rays. That would have made a more "artful design - again, just my "taste." Perhaps they made the coin as it is to get it to strike up properly. That does not change my opinion. The obverse is an UGLY, UN-ARTISTIC, JOKE!

I don't like every Carr design but the $20 piece above is more attractive than ANY U.S. Mint product since the 1950's - excluding a few commemorative coins.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say she looks like she just finished a joint and is staring at a pile of white castle burgers. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• drfishdrfish Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Captain Marvel -when she’s pissed off

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Eagle but the Obverse looks a little evil. Lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file