Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can you please offer your grade opinion on my 1854 Seated Liberty Half

Can you please offer your grade opinion on my 1854 Seated Liberty Half.

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos are not very helpful. A guess is AU before cleaning, scrubbing and thumbing.....??

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Change your lighting angle or camera angle a bit so the surfaces are not hidden by the light as much.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Dreverett1Dreverett1 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hoping these are better shots. I changed the background also. It’s a camera phone so the pics are probably not the best quality.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

High AU details, but possibly whizzed or something, as the luster is flat and unnatural. Really sharp detail and dentils.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos are not helpful. The coin looks like a very well struck example, probably a high end AU, that has been cleaned or whizzed and then sold as an MS coin with no reference to the cleaning or whizzing. Am I right?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me down for AU, cleaned and/or whizzed or something. Luster (if that's what it is) is definitely funky.

• Options

It was sold as a GEM BU +++ seated Liberty however the photos looked as the if the surfaces were much smoother in photo vs when I got it in hand.li

• Options

So many nice collectible coins have been ruined out of greed. :(

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the photos are too bright like this, it hides rubs and marks. That's why you can't get more feedback. Some auction houses post photos like this for just that reason, to hide things.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I hate to think how much you paid for it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

At Best AU58. If the luster isn't there for the detail it will be in an AU details cleaned,wizzed,altered surfaces or whatever holder.

• Options

Whenever a seller presents raw coins as "GEM BU +++ " or similar extravagance, presume they have been altered and are of questionable collector value, If you MUST buy from one of these trumped-up, lying snakes, get a written guarantee that the coin will pass independent authentication and grading, or the buyer will get a full refund.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly not a GEM BU coin. Looks high end AU, but pretty confident even with the pics shown that it has been harshly cleaned.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

Advertising a raw coin as "Gem BU" doesn't make you a trumped up lying snake unless the coin isn't as described. And if you want a coin that's been independently authenticated and graded, that's what you should be buying.

Just sayin'.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a local shop give you their opinion and let us know.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and buy something while you are in there ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Thanks everyone for taking a look.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Try taking pictures in natural light. It seems like you have a lamp blaring on it.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    Advertising a raw coin as "Gem BU" doesn't make you a trumped up lying snake unless the coin isn't as described. And if you want a coin that's been independently authenticated and graded, that's what you should be buying.

Using the kind of description quoted by the OP is a clear indicator of the seller being a trumped up lying snake. Honest sellers don't wear out the " + " or " ! " keys. :)

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details. If that half was PQ, it would be in a holder. The person currently in possession of the coin uses the term BU, so you have to think that they would have the awareness to maximize their profit by certifying the half.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Unc.-ish" details.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is it was cleaned with baking soda. Not a good thing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Thought I would try a couple more pics in different lighting.

• Options

Sorry to tell you, but that's not a gem BU coin.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dreverett1 said:
    Thought I would try a couple more pics in different lighting.

Ouch!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 9:02PM

That coin has been harshly polished or whizzed. The natural surfaces and mint luster have been forever destroyed. It’s a reasonably attractive problem coin, but it’s a problem coin 7 days a week. If you paid anything close to BU money for it, return it if you can.

I’m no expert on pricing problem coins, but I’d guess it’s worth $100 or so, maybe a little more.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luster is dead. Obvious cleaning. UNC Details.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse of your coin looks like it has been cleaned and/or whizzed and the color is off. The coin is too white and too shiny.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

UNC details polished.

• Options

If you offered that to any dealer as a Gem BU he would laugh you out of the shop. If you thought it was Gem BU for even a few seconds it shows that you don't know how to grade and should not be buying expensive coins. I hope you can get your money refunded.

Stop buying and learn how to grade and detect cleaning. Use the resources available on this site.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details, harshly cleaned if it is even genuine. the head looks funky to me and whenever I see clash marks on stuff like this I think Chinese fake.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a problem coin.... and might not straight grade if submitted.... Try to get a refund. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thank you

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try for a refund.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Keets in that I would question if the coin was genuine or not. One of the signs I see on this coin is the uneven irregular rim which is evident on many fakes from China.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return it for a refund and if need be, be persistent and firm. Without knowing what you paid for it, I would still bet that you paid too much, mistakenly thinking you got a good deal on it. That is how some sellers make a highly profitable living.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU Details - Altered Surfaces

• Options

Good to hear!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ooof!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dreverett1 said:
    I was able to return/ refund. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Good job.

Don’t buy expensive raw coins.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned to me.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

@Dreverett1 said:
    I was able to return/ refund. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Good call. Glad it worked out!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, the next part is to go find a very nice one. A nice Seated half is a great coin. If you’re interested, there are lots of people here who would help you find one for a fair price.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad that you got your money back.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow what a horrible coin. AU harshly cleaned is an understatement!

• Options
    BGERRISHBGERRISH Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

FAKE, Run Forest Run...........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file