Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have an image of a steel cent in Good or worse condition?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2019 5:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wear wise only.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is unlikely that they would have worn down that much during the 25 years or so they actually circulated. (They were effectively gone from circulation by the late 1960's.) Having a steel core they would have resisted rapid wear. Rust, yes, but heavy wear, no. I don't recall ever seeing one that would have graded less than Fine by wear and most were VF or XF by wear.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 6:53AM

@291fifth said:
    It is unlikely that they would have worn down that much during the 25 years or so they actually circulated. (They were effectively gone from circulation by the late 1960's.) Having a steel core they would have resisted rapid wear. Rust, yes, but heavy wear, no. I don't recall ever seeing one that would have graded less than Fine by wear and most were VF or XF by wear.

I see PCGS has graded one AG3

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 7:02AM

The AG03, from a PCGS set registry. I wish it were mine :(

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options

@JasonGaming said:

AG03, from a PCGS set registry. I wish it were mine :(

I suspect it may have been a pocket piece. The lack of any rust on a steel cent with that level of wear is the tip off.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@JasonGaming said:

I suspect it may have been a pocket piece. The lack of any rust on a steel cent with that level of wear is the tip off.

I wonder if it had help. I have never seen a bronze Lincoln wear in that pattern.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

@291fifth said:

@JasonGaming said:

I wonder if it had help. I have never seen a bronze Lincoln wear in that pattern.

A definite possibility.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question by the OP and great theories/responses. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that you will see one with honest wear. The steel was too hard, the coins didn't circulate for long enough and the rust got to them before circulation did.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a few low end VF's before they quit circulating. Most had some rust, were black, and/or were mid range XF. It wasn't at all unusual to see fairly nice AU's once in a while. Most of the AU's were probably spotty but I didn't notice such things in those days.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Everyone called them "silver" pennies. :D

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Everyone called them "silver" pennies. :D

I heard "lead" pennies a few times, I think.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple rolls of MS '43's.... but none that are 'worn'....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file