Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scoping out the competition...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on what you are considering to collect, and at what level, it can be very helpful to figure out IN ADVANCE who you would be competing with. Can you illustrate this concept by sharing your own experiences?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally try to understand my competition on coins in my space in the US auctions and often times that competition are the dealers in the space who specialize in high end Latina American type. I often partner with those same folks (Thanks MrE & CRO) to create the win-win of my higher than wholesale bid and commission while eliminating a potential competitor.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back about 1990 I was considering getting involved in collecting National Bank Notes. One of the states I was considering was Wisconsin. At that time Chet Krause and the a couple, Herb & Martha, from the Aurora, Il area were highly competitive for such notes. There was no way I could have been competitive with them so I dropped the idea. I never did buy one.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I generally try to understand my competition on coins in my space in the US auctions and often times that competition are the dealers in the space who specialize in high end Latina American type. I often partner with those same folks (Thanks MrE & CRO) to create the win-win of my higher than wholesale bid and commission while eliminating a potential competitor.

I've heard of a group of dealers deciding who would win what in an auction so as not to drive the cost up. Isn't that considered "rigging" an auction?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the government defines that as collusion. It happens, but if I'm the consignor, I wouldn't be overly fond of the practice.

To the OP's question, I guess it depends on how competitive you are. If being the top dog is important, you better have deep pockets and buy whatever is graded the highest, even if you don't particularly care for it.

When I had completed the #9 set of Peace dollars I determined that going any higher would require huge investments for small improvements in actual eye appeal or quality. I had the opportunity to see several coins in sets higher than mine and in many cases I preferred my own coins.

In some cases the best sets aren't in any Registry or even well-known in the collecting universe. The competition you know about might not be the only competition. In my realm, knowing the general market is way more important than knowing the identities and means of the actual competitors. If you're collecting stuff that only comes around once in a generation, it's obviously more important.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

2000 or so I was bidding on rare record albums. Very small and passionate market. Some of the last second Ebay snipes were insane.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do size up the competition at local auctions.
    If certain people are there I know I have no shot at specific types. They will win at all cost, no matter. They have no qualms overpaying.
    Certain others I can spar with.

General collecting?
    At my level it would be a waste of time.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Insider2 said:

@Boosibri said:

I've heard of a group of dealers deciding who would win what in an auction so as not to drive the cost up. Isn't that considered "rigging" an auction?

Has nothing to do with what I said

I guess I got the wrong impression from what you posted: "I often partner with those same folks."

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I studied the 1937 mint set contenders before deciding I could get to the top for a reasonable cost. Enjoyed two years at the top until some guy named Hansen came along. Sold and moved on to something else.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@washingtonrainbows said:

@Boosibri said:

@Insider2 said:

@Boosibri said:

What you described is exactly what rigged bidding or collusion is, however it’s very common practice.

No it is called using an auction representative

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

After first time I submitted a coin I got excited about it and wanted to grade the morgan set my great-grandparents left to me, so I looked at the set registry and almost shat myself. I only submitted the key dates so far. Still haven't decided if I will submit the rest or just leave them in the dansco album. I did make top set for the Palau Skulls, of course there was no competition at the time as I am the one who requested the set be added to the registry. Hansen please don't take that away.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never consider this, I set a price I'm willing to pay and if the coin goes for more there will be another someday. Of course I don't look at many 5 figure and never any 6 figure coins so I'm sure that this thought process would be more important at those levels.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 6:55PM

I think about who I’m competing with a lot. Sometimes there’s no real competition and I can win easily, sometimes I need to stretch to win and sometimes I’ll only win if others are out to lunch. The most interesting ones are where I need to stretch where a strong bid may not necessarily be a winning bid.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a dealer, I know exactly who my competition is.

I have complete respect for my competition and do coin deals with them.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Depending on what you are considering to collect, and at what level, it can be very helpful to figure out IN ADVANCE who you would be competing with. Can you illustrate this concept by sharing your own experiences?

That would be the smart way to go about things, but I'm a contrarian. I only bid against Isaac Rudman once, that I know of, and he was able to get a lot that I won reopened for bidding. I was on-line and was no longer following the auction after my lot closed. He, or his representative, was at the floor. I got the last laugh (and realized who I lost that lot to) when his pillar dollars came up for auction and I was able to acquire that same coin for less than my original bid.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

97.627% +/- of the coin collecting population would be my competition. So, no, I wouldn't waste my time trying to figure out who would bid against me. Figure out what your max is, and don't deviate.

Ok, ok, I know I have no place commenting in this post! Just thought a little levity was warranted! :smiley:

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just switched to buying common circulated Swiss 2 franc coins that sell in the $5-$25 range. No need for holders and there is no one else bidding on them. This is my kind of collecting! :)

It used to be Cary and Darrell for the circ Barber Halves.

I have found something odd about competitors: They abound when you are trying to buy, but they disappear when you are selling.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know who many of the competing collectors in my narrow field are, and we have friendly if occasionally competitive relationships. It did however take years of collecting till I learned who the competition was. I don’t think I could have anticipated the competition before I started on my area of interest. In any case, the names of competing collectors may change in the years it takes to become super serious and dedicated to the pursuit of one field.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

true confessions :joy:

• Options

@ARCO said:
    I have found something odd about competitors: They abound when you are trying to buy, but they disappear when you are selling.

I wonder why that could be. Perhaps certain sellers have a following?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 8:07AM

Obviously, the competition won’t matter much unless you’re collecting at the highest level. But at the highest level, it’s very different. For example, I would not have chosen to shoot for the finest Seated Dollar set while TDN was still actively doing the same. Today, I might be encouraged to collect certain colonials that are currently undercollected.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@Boosibri said:
    @washingtonrainbows said:

@Boosibri said:

@Insider2 said:

@Boosibri said:

What you described is exactly what rigged bidding or collusion is, however it’s very common practice.

No it is called using an auction representative

I feel so stupid. :( It should have been very obvious to me that's what you were actually doing. Probably a good way to save some money and keep the price of the lot lower.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am more concerned about understanding the series, the surviving population and how often the rarities and/or condition rarities surface. There are series I like that I collect and I will not likely be in a position to complete them... And I am okay with that. Funny you mentioned Seated Dollars. A set does not have to be the finest...there is something to be said for assembling quality for the grade which is something to strive for but even that can be easier said than done.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

With my budget I am generally competing with the homeless guy living on the street. :/

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect prints, engravings, dies, tokens, medals, and books related to Christian Gobrecht. I'm the only buyer for a lot of the stuff, which is the ideal situation. I've gotten run up on a few special items, but that's the price of admission......

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 10:16PM

Ya wanna know tuff? Try finding a good coin high grade 69 or 70 and get for under grading fees and such. There’s a group of people who compete, keep track and maybe even work together 🙀jzyskowski Grandam you would be welcomed into this group of 2-digit wonders 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited June 27, 2019 7:03PM

@Coinosaurus said:
    I collect prints, engravings, dies, tokens, medals, and books related to Christian Gobrecht. I'm the only buyer for a lot of the stuff, which is the ideal situation. I've gotten run up on a few special items, but that's the price of admission......

Yep, good to know. One of my early bidding lessons was for the obverse die you won for the following medal in my collection. I still think about it as a missed opportunity, but it's a good lesson as I just picked up some other rarities. Let me know if you ever decide to sell :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file