Home U.S. Coin Forum

Auction Timing

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you intend to consign a few lower value (less than $1k) not particularly special coins to Great Collections, Heritage or otherwise are there particular times of the year that you should avoid because they historically yield lower prices, or does it not really make much of a difference? E.g. are sale prices typically higher later in the year as opposed to summer?

Comments

• ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've consigned to GC a number of times and don't feel that time of year made a meaningful difference. I've had auctions go off around the major holidays which always concerned me, but turns out buyers may be looking at auctions to get away from the in-laws. If at all possible I try to avoid an auction around a major show that also has auctions. I thought I had noticed a spike when selling some varieties as the window closed on the registry set awards, but that seems to have been a one year fluke.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try to stay away from holiday weekends. Other than that I don't believe that it matters much.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two cents was spent on the aforementioned.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins, themselves and the market conditions at the time of the sale are far more important than the time of year. The past market conditions at a particular time of year aren't necessarily indicative of what they will be in the future. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, I find there are a lot more bargains on ebay in the summer vrs. any other time of the year!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to stay away from most auctions (not all... ebay occasionally and one or two others)....I have witnessed too many testosterone contests in auctions...and when that happens, common sense (and a lot of money) flies out the window...Cheers, RickO

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Avoid the Summer Doldrums. Many people are spending their money on vacations and have smaller coin budgets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file