Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

$1000 budget....whats your choice?

Decided to give myself a "modest" $1,000 budget for the upcoming National.

Not sure what I can actually pick up with that amount, but would love to hear your thoughts...

Comments

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I'm going with a similar budget to my first National.

I am going to try to have a good time first of all, meet people, talk cards.

Then I'm spending the rest on vintage unopened if anything catches my eye.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

this will be my fifth national (first one was in chicago when I met ernie banks)

i would really like a nice jordan rookie if i could find one, i passed on an 8.5 BGS for $900 two years ago and bought a PSA 9 Jordan rookie sticker for $700 (which may actually regrade to a 10 if I ever regrade it)

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

If it were my $1,000, I would be on the lookout for items I can't just pull off of eBay any day of the week. Things on my eBay saved searches list that rarely pop up. Alternatively, some really nice 1970s raw sets.

And if you find any graded 1971 OPC baseball packs, please let me know! PSA 9s are around the $1K mark these days.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

how about 100 91 upper deck boxes and a ten dollar coke

here is my $700 pickup from the NSCC 2017

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Jordan could bump to a 10 I would bring that with you and use a piece of your budget to sub it there on one of their quick turnaround time reviews.

just posted the jordan welcome your comments...here is the back

Two questions.

Are those black specs on the left border on the back visible in hand?

Is that top right corner on the back ever so slightly touched?

no, the card is clean, i think those specs are on the holder. as for the top right corner...really tough to say. in person, MAYBE? maybe a BGS 9.5 IS a safer bet?

the centering looks dead on.

also, look at the pic of the front, the corners are sharp from that end

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upper right corner on the back is the only thing I could see holding it back. I'm assuming the discoloration on the front, lower right is from a shadow.

correct, it is the shadow...i will have to take a closer look at the back when i get home but still 9.5 on bgs would be better would it not?

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

An 85 Topps rack box, An 82 Topps wax box, and the rest a mix of unopened packs from the 1980's.
    kevin

@momo1234 said:
    correct, it is the shadow...i will have to take a closer look at the back when i get home but still 9.5 on bgs would be better would it not?

Card is beautiful. I say go for it. They are there too.

i do like the idea of buying unopened packs, but like packs that show a star card (payton rookie, sandberg rookie, griffey rookie etc etc) on the top.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, a manicure....c'mon bruh!!! Then spend the rest in the VIP lounge!!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1,000 budget.

LOL. I dont get it....

@momo1234 said:
    LOL. I dont get it....

He is drooling at the thought of having a grand to drop on cards.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    $1,000 budget.

That has to be the worst thing I've seen in quite some time lol

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:
    $1,000 budget.

You earned that LOL.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:
    $1,000 budget"")

Didn't you post a pic of Billy "LSUTigers" Holler recently??? If so, let's not go pointing fingers!

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

I'd probably go through the $1,000 within 10 minutes of stepping foot in the national.

Like some of the others stated...I would be on the lookout for things I can't normally find on eBay or a bit more difficult to find.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979 Topps Football Wax Box maybe add 200.00ish. They go from 900-1300. Id defiantly want 2 of these boxes over 1 1979 Baseball Wax Box. 1978 Football is even cheaper than the 79 but I think a lot of those boxes are put together with loose packs.
    But I think those are a relative good deal with big rookies and solid HOF group. One of my favorite issues.

Earl Campbell RC
    James Lofton RC
    Ozzie Newsome Rc POP 2 PSA 10 big money card

Loaded with HOFers and Campbells only cards ever.

Love this issue and worth the value. I even think opening these today you can do pretty well with a clean box at its current price.

1979 FB wax box!

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go with a crystal clear plan. Otherwise it will be way too overwhelming. Understand what you want at what price and find it.

• BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 5:36PM

2011 Topps Update Trout rookie PSA 10

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@momo1234 said:
    Decided to give myself a "modest" $1,000 budget for the upcoming National.

Not sure what I can actually pick up with that amount, but would love to hear your thoughts...

Is basketball what you collect? Specifically Jordan?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@Stan Pounder said:
    Personally for $1k I can get some beautiful hookers , blow and a pair of fingernail clippers. I have about 5 ladies lined up coming in from Toledo for the natty.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

As someone mentioned - 2011 Trout Topps Update PSA 10. That card will continue to rise. Its money in the bank. I would pick that up with a $1000 budget and I didn't even have to think more than 2 seconds about that decision. That way, you get to pick up a kick a$$ card and you get to talk cards with fellow collectors.

Have fun :)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with the football version of Trout, Patrick Mahomes. Already the most collected football
    player and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
    More upside, and should have a lot more post season success than Trout, which I guess is obvious
    since Trout has had zero post season success.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Not sure about my choice but my advice, which was given to me and proved valuable is to do your homework. Make it easy on yourself. Lots of items can be scooped on eBay any day of the week. Make a list of the things you may want that are more difficult to find. Have an idea on grade/price and what you’d be willing to pay for each. It’s a big floor and good deals won’t wait for you to make the rounds, so be ready to pounce, as by the time you make it back it may be gone. Wear shoes you can walk in and have fun.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:
    $1,000 budget"")

Didn't you post a pic of Billy "LSUTigers" Holler recently??? If so, let's not go pointing fingers!

Lol! Wish I could take credit for that but it was Nick.

For those that have been a few times- is there a good selection of unopened materials and graded wax/cellos other than BBCE?

@handyman said:
    1979 Topps Football Wax Box maybe add 200.00ish. They go from 900-1300. Id defiantly want 2 of these boxes over 1 1979 Baseball Wax Box. 1978 Football is even cheaper than the 79 but I think a lot of those boxes are put together with loose packs.
    But I think those are a relative good deal with big rookies and solid HOF group. One of my favorite issues.

Earl Campbell RC
    James Lofton RC
    Ozzie Newsome Rc POP 2 PSA 10 big money card

Loaded with HOFers and Campbells only cards ever.

Love this issue and worth the value. I even think opening these today you can do pretty well with a clean box at its current price.

1979 FB wax box!

I just paid too much for this one, but had to have it. Love this card for several reasons and it on top of a cello in Mint condition tops it off.

great pack...i dont collect basketball per se, i collect players I grew up (in chicago) watching...payton, jordan, sandberg, and then the other cards that always had sentimental value to me (mainly because i didn't have them as a kid) mcgwire, griffey etc...i like the idea of the trout rookie, but honestly i dont see how that card is eclipsing the value of an 89 griffey rookie.....to me it seems like wait a few years and that card will drop.

what makes an 11 trout rookie, more collectable then a griffey upper deck?

I assume there are quite a few more KGJr's produced but that's my best guess.

@JakeR2234 the picture you have of the pack with payton rookie...do you own that? where did you pick it up?

@momo1234 said:
    @JakeR2234 the picture you have of the pack with payton rookie...do you own that? where did you pick it up?

Yes, it was on eBay. Only one in PSA holder I've seen for sale in a few years. Took a little while to save up for.

nice pick up..so cool.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the thinking of "waiting" till I get to the national - look around - and consider items one hasn't seen on eBay or look for bargains.

I have a favorite dealer - Inside the Park Collectibles - John and Lou - every year - come up with hi quality items that I rarely see on eBay. Now, I'm talking about Hartlands, board games and esoteric ephemera e.g.

Best of luck momo.

Mike

Thanks guys...one thing i picked up recently was a 1988 hy grade baseball card collector starter kid sealed...think i paid $10, but i also have a jordan vs bird tiger electronics in original package that i paid $5 for....im really into that kinda stuff, but i dont see a long term value in any of it.

my feeling is that if there is something i can buy, that perhaps my young kids can "cash in on" in the future, that is where i would like to spend the $$

• BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭

For a blue chip stock: 2011 Trout Update. For potential Trout growth Acuna RC’s in volume. Unopened check out 2011 Bowman Draft. Trout RC, possible auto Harper and auto RC Story, Lindor, and Baez cards

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a real clean 1993 Jeter UD SP Foil in PSA 8.

I remember selling this card about 5 years ago for under $200. Its gone up exponentially since his retirement and is close to a $100 card now. Wish I didn't sell that damn thing.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

anything Trout 2009-2011

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I would get something high grade and low pop from 71T. That's more than I would normally spend so I would make it count towards something I am already collecting.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black