Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

35 things that will soon be obsolete. Guess what number one is.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

MSN reporter: Gael F. Cooper....with idiot headlines. I've heard & read similar ones for over 30 years.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

thats the end of that era.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 8:44PM

A lot of the things mentioned are already gone or nearly gone here (in NZ): Cash is rarely used; plastic shopping bags have been banned; I haven't had a checkbook for at least a dozen years; paper maps are long gone and... most importantly, of course, everyone uses their phone as a remote because no one can ever find the Apple TV remote...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

because no one can ever find the Apple TV remote...

It's under the sofa, where it has always been.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    MSN reporter: Gael F. Cooper....with idiot headlines. I've heard & read similar ones for over 30 years.

Huh??? So you were reading about smartphones replacing all this stuff 30 years ago? I don't think so, nothing 'idiotic' about it.

Quite a bit of this has already been going on, including cash.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:18PM

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:

36: Coin collecting - let the firestorm begin, or not....

Oooooh! Dems fightin words!!!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 6:50AM

I miss Paul Harvey.

“The Rest of the Story”

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    I miss Paul Harvey.

“The Rest of the Story”

"Good day".

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting reading !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 5:40AM

I assume clickbait isn't on the list.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 6:27AM

Zager & Evans

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Big picture, end-game, objectives of the powers that be include...

Eliminate cash
    Take the guns
    And lots of other things 🤔

For instance,they talk about paper maps. Ok. Sure everyone has GPS. Sure people no longer learn to read maps. GPS goes out,just get a map, right? Wrong. They have stopped making them. Along with physical copies of books, and studies, and all the knowledge that used to exist. Once it is all digital, behind pay walls etc, it can be re-written.

Don't get me started.. :D

Collect road maps. I have an old Shell map that guided me to a really interesting place; Indian Diggins, CA. We went and found opium bottles on the SURFACE! Cool old mining town.
    Maps are fun.
    :)

Also re: checks. I will ...MAYBE.... stop using checks when it becomes illegal to have auto-renew at the damn places that want you to use credit.

GRRR on auto-renew! :#

Thought I was done. Dammit. If I had...MY...way, every CC purchase at stores would have to be sent to the end of the longest line in the place.
    There! Grump..... harrumph .....get .......off ......my .......lawn!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of those you can already do with out. Many will be replaced in months or years for good reasons.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh good, film photography isn't on the list. I don't have to sell all my gear yet! :P

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:
    notice they did not include newspapers.

That’s because newspapers will not become obsolete — they already are obsolete.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree the MSM, especially MSN should have been #1. Fake, biased and paid "incognito" ad placements.

Wonder why media trust is at an all-time low in the US? Google "operation Mockingbird" for some fun historical info.

https://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-statements-in-the-news/pj_2018-06-18_fact-opinion_0-11/

While many of those 35 things on the list may be "obsolete" that doesn't mean they will ever disappear. What would happen the next time you lose power? How would you pay for groceries or gas without cash? How would you lock/unlock your electronic house lock? How would you navigate to somewhere you have never been before without GPS? Articles like these just prove how irrelevant the MSM and MSN are.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 12:16PM

Stopped at a small beer joint for a cold one last week. I tossed down a $10 bill on the counter and the beer tender politely said “I’m sorry, but we only accept credit or debit cards. We should really have a sign stating that. Sorry.”

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@SiriusBlack said:
    oh good, film photography isn't on the list. I don't have to sell all my gear yet! :P

I am waiting for mine to become antiques as now I would get about 1 cent on the dollar. Well not really as that equipment did make money and it did get depreciated tax wise :)

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@SiriusBlack said:

I am waiting for mine to become antiques as now I would get about 1 cent on the dollar. Well not really as that equipment did make money and it did get depreciated tax wise :)

I do have a few item that are definitely antique! I still use most everything I have though.

• Options

@SiriusBlack said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@SiriusBlack said:

I do have a few item that are definitely antique! I still use most everything I have though.

I am 100% Digital Now. I even have around 3000 high-end scanned 4x5 (film) transparencies that are now digital files. Digital files are the only way (non-art) commercial photography is done nowadays.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I am 100% Digital Now. I even have around 3000 high-end scanned 4x5 (film) transparencies that are now digital files. Digital files are the only way (non-art) commercial photography is done nowadays.

True but I lost my love for digital photography a long time ago. I regained my love for photography in general when I stopped worrying about megapixels and software and picked up a 50 year old camera again! Plus I had to pay more attention get better at metering, zone system etc. All the things I personally got sloppy with relying on a screen to tell me if it looks good enough! I really just prefer using my film cameras I guess in the same way we all prefer to collect and admire old coins instead of our credit cards :P

• Options
    edited June 27, 2019 4:01PM

@SiriusBlack said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

True but I lost my love for digital photography a long time ago. I regained my love for photography in general when I stopped worrying about megapixels and software and picked up a 50 year old camera again! Plus I had to pay more attention get better at metering, zone system etc. All the things I personally got sloppy with relying on a screen to tell me if it looks good enough! I really just prefer using my film cameras I guess in the same way we all prefer to collect and admire old coins instead of our credit cards :P

Don't get me wrong.

I did the "Zone System" 40 years ago and understand it thoroughly. I spent 20 years in my own B&W Darkroom. I produced thousand of correctly colored 4x5 contacts dupes that were used for commercial purposes.

Now I still do commercial nature photography but my high-end digital camera blows away the 4x5 film in almost every way.

I bought 9 slabbed coins today and need to take 4 shots of each to put into inventory. Digital makes it easy, film would be insane.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins Oh absolutely. I've been dabbling a bit in learning how to photograph my coins as you've noticed and helped me in the past and when ever I get ready to do that, I grab a digital from the store I work at! I just found that for pure enjoyment and non commercial purposes, I vastly prefer to shoot my film cameras. So much so that I sold all of my digital gear a few years ago to fund a holy grail Leica I wanted :P I'd owned them before, but not an M4 black paint. :P

• Options
    edited June 27, 2019 4:16PM

I mean honestly soo many here yearn to be back in the day, Years ago. Before digital, B4 "The Internets"

Well as a photographer, coin collector, and coin dealer, today is where it is at.

Back it the day, get the coin in, photograph it, send the film to the lab, wait, get the film back, have photographic prints made, have offset price sheet with photos made at the print shop, wait, mail out to the clients paying for postage. Crazy shit :o

Today coins come in and can disappear within hours.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 4:24PM

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gonzer said:
    Zager & Evans

That's not till the Year 2525.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2019 6:04PM

Not obsolete (Yet!) High-end digital workhorse .....

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:
    A lot of the things mentioned are already gone or nearly gone here (in NZ): Cash is rarely used; plastic shopping bags have been banned; I haven't had a checkbook for at least a dozen years; paper maps are long gone and... most importantly, of course, everyone uses their phone as a remote because no one can ever find the Apple TV remote...

I still use cash and plastic shopping bags. I still have a checkbook. Still use a TV remote......my cell phone is a flip phone!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:

@steveben said:

no more so than phone booths, which they do mention.

• Options

@steveben said:

@santinidollar said:

@steveben said:

no more so than phone booths, which they do mention.

What's Clark Kent / Superman to do?

• Options

Male Presidents :D

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I mean honestly soo many here yearn to be back in the day, Years ago. Before digital, B4 "The Internets"

Well as a photographer, coin collector, and coin dealer, today is where it is at.

I am 43. I am just old enough that I made it through childhood, my teens, and my early twenties without having the internet dominate my world.

And I am one of those who yearn for things that are gone or disappearing.

The list in the OP does not describe much of what I yearn for, however.

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I think that cash will be around a lot longer than most of the things on that list. The USA is turning to alternate payments slower than many other countries and remember our switch to the metric system? :D Seems it would be hard for the government to declare cash no longer legal tender when it says that on every bill.

We have more $100 bills in circulation than ever before. The odd part about that is that the Chicago Fed says 80% of those Franklins are now overseas. Some probably for illicit reasons but also some for people hedging their home currency.

Many items on the list are paper that is being replaced by digital. Music CD sales have been declining for years but 40% year over year is big. But vinyl records continue to make a comeback because people want them.

I think our hobby could actually get a boost when people start hearing more stories like this. Any rumors could get hoarding going of cash and coins and precious metals could surge too.

I think if there are still humans around 100 years from now some of them will still be collecting coins just like they were 2,000 years ago.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ignorance and stupidity will always be in vogue. Of this, we can rest assured.

• Options

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Big picture, end-game, objectives of the powers that be include...

Eliminate cash
    Take the guns
    And lots of other things 🤔

For instance,they talk about paper maps. Ok. Sure everyone has GPS. Sure people no longer learn to read maps. GPS goes out,just get a map, right? Wrong. They have stopped making them. Along with physical copies of books, and studies, and all the knowledge that used to exist. Once it is all digital, behind pay walls etc, it can be re-written.

Don't get me started.. :D

Collect road maps. I have an old Shell map that guided me to a really interesting place; Indian Diggins, CA. We went and found opium bottles on the SURFACE! Cool old mining town.
    Maps are fun.
    :)

Also re: checks. I will ...MAYBE.... stop using checks when it becomes illegal to have auto-renew at the damn places that want you to use credit.

GRRR on auto-renew! :#

Thought I was done. Dammit. If I had...MY...way, every CC purchase at stores would have to be sent to the end of the longest line in the place.
    There! Grump..... harrumph .....get .......off ......my .......lawn!

I agree!
    Cards are NOT faster than cash.
    I despise waiting in line for 4-5 ppl to pay for 1.49 sodas with credit cards.
    It is ridiculous.
    And......keep your damn ball out of my lawn!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file