Home U.S. Coin Forum

1875CC Dime - GTG? (Grade revealed, last post).

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2019 8:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Usually, I can't take a picture good enough to subject you to a GTG thread. :)

But just got a TrueView back on a re-holder, (horrible gouge in the obverse lens, and scratches throughout), so I thought I'd throw this one out there. I think it's rather attractive, and I'm kind of interested in the results.

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Let’s see a pic!

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64

I like the sunburst toning on the obverse.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

ms 64/5

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-64, only because the luster appears to be subdued. Since it's a CC coin, it might get an extra point for its point of origin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Indulger said:
    Let’s see a pic!

I see a pic....And unless the next three guys are shooting in the dark, they see pic! :)

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62. The reverse field is well protected yet shows a difference in luster and shadowing around the words "ONE DIME." So something reduced the luster there....either light circulation, lots of handling, or an old cleaning. The obverse is well toned so you really can't judge the field luster or marks very well.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

@Indulger said:
    Let’s see a pic!

I see a pic....And unless the next three guys are shooting in the dark, they see pic

Got it now, thanks!

MS63

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking dime. I'll guess 64.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it cool!

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Obverse looks quite a bit better than the reverse. I'll guess the obverse took the day and guess 64.

Neat coin. Thanks for sharing.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful Dime...hope it didn't get the ole QC! Looks 63-64 to me.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... a CC dime... very nice strike... Looks 64... Cheers, RickO

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I'll be busy tomorrow.....

• Obviously, I'm having trouble getting the color. Though, the TV seems to be a bit optimistic....the color is there.
    • As for grade, I think @roadrunner nailed it. IF this were a completely technically graded world, I think this would go AU-58. The reverse field, and some of the foliage, shows signs of a rub/wear. The obverse is probably helped in masking any similar wear by the toning.
    • I was taken with the obverse. Besides the nice color, the rough orange peal surfaces are quite nice. I saw it, and plunked down more than I was actually planning to spend, (was looking for a nice AU). The money was out of my pocket before I could think about it. :)
    • That being said....I couldn't afford to buy an MS-64 or higher anyway. :) So, I'll settle for a really nice 62.

Thanks for the time, and guesses.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

choice uncirculated. nice. I like the toning.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at the obverse I was thinking 62. Seeing the reverse made me think 58. Obverse wins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file