Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another Fake Pcgs holder and coin on EBay.

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 1843 seated liberty that he sold was fake too, yet e bay lets him continue to sell

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Ahhh, another one of those dropped and dragged across the ground proofs again. Sad

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

sent seller a message.
    I gently remind sellers that it is illegal to sell fakes, counterfeits, reproductions, replica or copy coins. Also against ebay rules. Then send this from a news article that I think was referenced here....

From ICTA (The Industry Council for Tangible Assets):
    —————
    Barry Ron Skog, 68, of Burnsville, Minn., pleaded guilty February 21 to one count of selling counterfeit coins and one count of mail fraud in the United States District Court of Minnesota in St. Paul.
    Skog faces a potential maximum sentence of 15 years imprisonment on the count of selling counterfeit coins and a potential of 20 years maximum on the mail fraud count. He also faces fines of up to $250,000 for each count and mandatory restitution in amounts to be determined by the court.
    No date has been set for sentencing.
    A Minnesota federal grand jury had returned a six-count criminal indictment on April 10, 2018, charging Skog with five counts related to the sale of counterfeit coins and one count of mail fraud. With the plea agreement, the government agreed to dismiss four of the counts related to selling counterfeit coins

This usually gets their attention.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, what happened to this crook as posted by the OP???
    AND, with all respect,
    WHAT, if anything, is or can our host do about it?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Indulger said:
    Ahhh, another one of those dropped and dragged across the ground proofs again. Sad

Somebody needs to drag this eBay seller to jail and drop him in a cell. :D

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is only their 3rd auction on Ebay. They will soon disappear only to re-emerge with yet another Ebay ID.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to imagine that anyone would be fooled given the represented grade vs. the photo, but then..... Pretty pathetic attempt.

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

A feedback of only 2? Sounds like someone changes their identity a lot. Ebay could get to the bottom of this very quickly.

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I messaged seller and he said he's had it for years, but will have a coin shop check it out. He ended auction.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I messaged seller and he said he's had it for years, but will have a coin shop check it out. He ended auction.

Haven't heard that one before!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

I wonder if he will take it to the “coin shop” that made the fake coin or to the “coin shop” that made the fake slab?

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another reason for getting coins TrueViewed. If you search a coins PCGS cert. number and it comes up with the correct grade and type off the PCGS site you could be fooled into thinking your buying the actual PCGS coin. If you search the cert number and a TrueView shows up at least you can compare the TrueView to the image being auctioned off eBay.

I know this coin is easy to see because it is obviously not a PRCAM coin, but there are other coins that are more difficult to identify as a fake.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you look at the very first coin this person sold, it was ended by e bay, so a fake, he even got positive feedback for it. this seller doesn't collect coins, he can't even tell this bad reproduction is fake. he might not be telling the truth, feedback of 2 and look at his closed auctions, selling coins like crazy. that is not normal to be selling coins in that volume just after opening a account. most likely was kicked off already and this is round 2..or 3..or 4

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that is such an obvious fake - at least to most collectors.... Vigilance by forum members has certainly prevented a lot of harm to new collectors by getting these auctions closed. Great work. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file