Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got this Knockout Beautifully Toned Mercury Dime! ........ Ricko BEWARE!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's even better in hand (more luster showing), but the TrueView is better than I can do. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. This coin is a 67 and replaces a white 66FB.

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning 44-s!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooriginal.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!

• Options

@golden said:
    To be honest I am on the fence on this one.

I completely understand. If you saw it in hand you would love it.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the color is nice but it seems a little dark. all that counts, though, is your opinion. :) you should name it Freckle Face.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I could get used of that one. I kinda like it for some reason

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

I realize that pictures don't always do justice (as mentioned), but that obverse is butt ugly! Sorry, I'm sure it's much nicer in-hand.

• Options

@keets said:
    the color is nice but it seems a little dark. all that counts, though, is your opinion. :) you should name it Freckle Face.

That's the thing keets…….it's not dark in hand at all. Phil does a great job on most coins, but he did not capture the brilliance and luster on this one. Those beautiful colors are the......just not as dark and hiding the coin as the TV shows. I may try to get a better pic, but I cant imagen getting a better one than Phil and his crew did.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I agree with @dimeman that this is a knockout NT beauty. But I have also heard rumored that "crackle" toning of coins (seems to appear mostly on coins from the '40s and '50s) has been determined to be AT. Anyone have any comments on that front?

• Options

@AngryTurtle said:
    I agree with @dimeman that this is a knockout NT beauty. But I have also heard rumored that "crackle" toning of coins (seems to appear mostly on coins from the '40s and '50s) has been determined to be AT. Anyone have any comments on that front?

I have never heard that.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the looks of that one buddy👍🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@AngryTurtle said:

I have never heard that.T

Think this is where I heard about it:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1014064/vintage-crackle-at-toning-resurfaces-images-enclosed-for-younger-collectors-younger-tpgs-graders

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be honest, I am on the fence on this one as well.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, reverse is pretty cool looking... B)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oooooh...that's a nice one!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I very much like that coin and toning.
    I know exactly what you're saying about the TV vs how it looks in hand.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many Taco Bell napkins were involved?
    Just kidding. Looks good whether AT or NT.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin.

Larry

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Also kinda on the fence...

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o Well... I am not on the fence, I cannot even see the fence from where I am :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crackle type toning always seems questionable and more is getting slabbed again.

Someone needs to school the young graders at all third party services.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    :o Well... I am not on the fence, I cannot even see the fence from where I am :D Cheers, RickO

I love @ricko 's comments!

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dimeman Is it CAC'ed? :):):):)

Mark

• Options

@Mark said:
    @dimeman Is it CAC'ed? :):):):)

I don't know (that's how important it is to me) I will have to go look. Nope it's not. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file