Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did you ever bust coins out of your collection to buy candy and ice cream and stuff?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the Saturday morning bowling league I usually had a dollar left and in 1966, the bank (open Saturdays) often had some silver halves available. Choice was two coins or lunch at Wing Hong restaurant with my friends. It was a toss up. About half the time I got the lunch. An hour later I wished I had gotten the coins.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled Would you believe me if I said I was also in a bowling league? Mine was more like 1986.

Looking forward to some funny stories in this thread...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @Coinstartled Would you believe me if I said I was also in a bowling league? Mine was more like 1986.

All good coin geeks were in a bowling league. ;)

Had about a 77 average and high game of 108 or so.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastic models of Knights with silver dollars. When parents figured out where I got the money, they took my dollars away.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I broke up a starter set of Washington Quarters circa 1962. I could never get into them, and that has not changed since I've become an adult and then a "senior citizen."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Haha... I'll "split" the difference. .. I was in a league while in HS... 1976.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yeah.

As a kid, it was impossible not to raid my Walking Liberty Half and Washington Quarter Whitmans.

We're talking about a time when comic books were a dime, and candy bars were a nickel!

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seem to recall my Whitman quarter book being emptied a few times. Circulated clad... still work only 25 cents each.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I raided all my non-silver Kennedy’s for cigarettes during the flat broke phase of my early 20s.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I love buying things with Ikes, when I have any lying around.

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 1:15PM

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worse than that, when I was around 7 I had a big Pink Piggy Bank that was over 1/2 full(probably a robust foot long). Busted it open, got caught at the door heading out to buy candy. All of it got put in my bank account. There was lotsa more than likely good stuff in there. :(

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Not me, but our parents split their small cache of silver dimes, quarters & halves among we 3 siblings. I kept/expanded my collection. One brother sold his to me. The other one put his in a band-aid tin - - only to eventually find that the other brother must have raided it from time to time to pay for school lunches/candy......... Maybe THAT was the beginning of the rift between the 2?! :o;)

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid, numerous times. Too embarrassed to even discuss.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember plucking some Mercury dimes out to buy candy bars. Yes a giant Baby Ruth was a nickel. Now they’re like 2 bucks. That’s about it though. I still have some of those coins with me today. Weird I know😂

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my previous life,I busted junkies and thieves for using OPM to support their miserable lives. Just saying. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 11:15AM

@crazyhounddog said:
    I remember plucking some Mercury dimes out to buy candy bars. Yes a giant Baby Ruth was a nickel. Now they’re like 2 bucks. That’s about it though. I still have some of those coins with me today. Weird I know😂

Interesting that now a mercury dime will only buy a half of a big "Baby Ruth".

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I did this a time it two before I paused my collecting when I got into high school.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I busted up my Canadian mint sets purchased in the early 80's and spent them on a trip to Vancouver. Another loss to inflation.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when silver was really low; I sold a lot of it for triple face value. Still bothers me to this day.....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection crashed and burned many times as a kid in the late 50s/early 60s. Always happened when the first series of the annual Topps baseball card set came out in the spring. Other "worthy" opportunities also necessitated the divestiture of most of the dimes, quarters, and halves from time to time.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

I guess another sin to my collection happened when I was 15-16. I sold a lot of my collection to buy salt water tropical fish and aquariums!

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    When I was a smaller kid I took my $2 bill collection and got a pellet gun

I like this one, as long as you didn't shoot your eye out!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

I remember everyone getting upset because coke went from 5 cents to a dime. (yes that was many many years ago) I was like 5 at the time

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 2:05PM

@thisistheshow said:

Three things:

1. I was also in a bowling league, several in fact, through the late 1990s. I earned this in September 1993:

1. When I was little, I would go with my Dad to his bowling league. They had a rule that if you missed a single pin spare, you had to throw $0.10 in the kitty, and at the end of the year they would buy drinks with it. I distinctly remember one night swapping out a US nickel for an AU 1923 Canadian nickel someone had dumped after missing a spare. (EDIT: just remembered it started off as a dime, not a quarter)

2. To answer the OP's question, I cleaned out a few clad quarter albums over the years, including a few State Quarter books my kids never found an interest in filling.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I average about 140ish but my Mother with six kids kicked butt averaged over 200 for years.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never have.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    E> @johnny9434 said:

@crazyhounddog said:

I remember everyone getting upset because coke went from 5 cents to a dime. (yes that was many many years ago) I was like 5 at the time

I too remember that day😉. Let me say this about that. Those cokes in the small bottles were THEE best cokes ever. Why you might ask? Because they used sugar back then. Now, from what I understand, they use corn syrup. Don’t believe me? Drink a coke out if a bottle from, Mexico 😉. It’s like a blast from the past buddy. They still use sugar😊

Yup, high fructose corn syrup. It's poison.

They switched it during the "New Coke" scam so people wouldn't notice the difference.

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Busted open a few proof sets from the 70s and spent them at face when I was young. Lame..

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 4:45PM

@crazyhounddog

The local Mexican restaurant sells Mexi-coke in 10 oz bottles. Good stuff!!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I guess another sin to my collection happened when I was 15-16. I sold a lot of my collection to buy salt water tropical fish and aquariums!

Messed with the salt water fish in 1970-71. That was an expensive hobby. :#

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never spent stuff from my collection, but I am pretty sure that my younger brother did spend stuff from my collection.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

1974 on here. Oh the wonder when I bought my 1st UV sterilizer!

@Coinstartled said:

@amwldcoin said:

Messed with the salt water fish in 1970-71. That was an expensive hobby. :#

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid, I would never have even considered taking things out of my collection to buy candy or anything else. 50 years later, I do it regularly. My local bagel shop and deli and pizza joints will all attest to it!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    Oh, yeah.

As a kid, it was impossible not to raid my Walking Liberty Half and Washington Quarter Whitmans.

We're talking about a time when comic books were a dime, and candy bars were a nickel!

I remember when candy bars went from 5c to 10c.
    That was quite devastating!

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cut up a sheet of uncut $1.00 bills for gas money.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

The highest denomination I collected was dimes. Didn't even try to collect quarters and halves - buying power then to a 10 year old was huge. Hedonist.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    @crazyhounddog

The local Mexican restaurant sells Mexi-coke in 10 oz bottles. Good stuff!!

So does our local joint. I wondered why the hell I was paying so much for it until I tasted it. Now I’ll dive the extra mile and pay the extra money just to have another👌🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:
    As a kid, I would never have even considered taking things out of my collection to buy candy or anything else. 50 years later, I do it regularly. My local bagel shop and deli and pizza joints will all attest to it!

Can you still get a kichel for a nickel.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Choice was two coins or lunch at Wing Hong restaurant with my friends. It was a toss up. About half the time I got the lunch. An hour later I wished I had gotten the coins.

Because you were hungry again?
    Lance.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never have any coin collection growing up neither my Mom and Dad so ....... haven't done things like that for anything :) but I bet it made the candy sweeter since it's FREE monies

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ten cent comic books, nickel candy bars and penny candy.... prices of my youth. Used to go around collecting bottles and turn them in for the deposit....We could always get some candy money that way...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid in Minnesota, I was hooked on fireworks.

Someone came around selling cherry bombs out of his trunk - there went the mercury dime collection. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to spend 10 silver dollars in 1964 to buy Christmas presents.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Back when silver was really low; I sold a lot of it for triple face value. Still bothers me to this day.....

Don't feel bad, I remember selling it for 5 to 7% over face in 1972.

As a kid I remember spending silver dollars for plastic toy soldiers, heck you could always replace them for a buck at the bank. As a young adult I'm sure I even spent a few taking my wife of almost 54 years on a date.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 1:49PM

Long ago, when starting High School (9th grade) I saved to buy a really nice, new 35mm SLR camera with (wait for it...) an instant return mirror ! (Very big deal back then....)

I was a few dollars short on buying the Postal Money Order, and very anxious. So, I pulled some common Morgan and Peace dollars from my albums to make up the shortage. The only coin I remember was a 1922 Peace dollar in virtually perfect condition - that was one of my collecting criteria - and the result of examining multiple bags of 1922s. Heck, I can easily find another just as good -- and there was this cute blond girl waiting for me to take her picture....

Got the camera. Took thousands of photos until I wore it out. Paid for it many times over in newspaper photos, events, sports, etc....and blonds.

Found a good replacement 1922 - but never one as nice. Then the silver dollar rush happened and "poof" went the easy dollar searches. Back then, it was "just a dollar."

PS: Yes, I still "have" the blond - together off and on for 60 years.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.. when I realized my 11 sets of 2007 proof presidential dollars would never fetch enough to make them worth selling on eBay.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file