Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GSA Morgan Dollar Guess the grade

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 18, 2019 9:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was going through my images from Long Beach and seeing this coin I realized it was a good GTG candidate. This one is tricky. Will post the coin later today or early tomorrow. There are some scratches on the GSA holder going across the obverse field.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several white streaks on the obverse. Are they on the holder or the coin?

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

The streaks from the stars to cheek are holder scratches.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

I'll go out on a limb and say it's a 65

• Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

MS-64

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 10:34AM

@Blu62Vette Todd, IMO The obverse of this 1883-CC Morgan appears to have possibly been Lightly Wiped or Thumbed in the vertical direction based on the light vertical streaks discernible below Miss Liberty’s Eye, between her Nose and Ear extending down to her lower Jaw in the vicinity of some light contact marks. (See Red👇Circled Areas).

The coin may also exhibit this same effect discernible in front of Liberty’s Nose and Lips.

If the coin Straight Graded it appears to be an MS-65, however it may have been Genuine Graded due to the above mentioned observations.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to give it a 64 because of the nicks on the cheek and nose, and the mark across the eagle's chest. Obverse fields are nice. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 65, but I'll go with 64.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has the look of a 65, but since you say it's tricky I'll go 62.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

**The obverse of this 1883-CC Morgan appears to have possibly been Lightly Wiped or Thumbed **

the coin is in the GSA holder so it's unlikely to have been thumbed. I think MS63.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details or 63.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63+, congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the risk of being up to 2-3 points off, I'll go with MS66.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ill say 64+

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

I see a lack of luster on the left half of the obverse, along with some other scuffs. My gut says...

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 here due to (apparent) subdued luster.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... everything from 58 to 66! I'm intrigued...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

Obverse is nicer than reverse which is odd. I'll say MS 66. I like it.

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

65+

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on when it was graded. 65 but maybe 66........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭

From my own experience, I will laughingly say either cleaned or altered surfaces, even in the GSA holder.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Directly in back of the chin, on the lower jaw, there's some scuffing at a 30 degree angle. I can't tell how severe this is on the image. Would have a better idea if I could see the coin in hand. If this is minor, this is a very clean cheek for a CC Morgan.

Cannot tell how severe the minor scuff marks above the motto and on the viewer's right in the field appear on the coin from the image.

From the image, I really don't get a feel for the coin's eye appeal.

Based on the above, I can't guess the grade; it could be anywhere from an MS 63 to MS 66.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing a 65+. I think it would have gone 66 had the luster been stronger or the bag marks on the obverse and reverse been fewer. I don't think it should get a details grade for a cleaning as these supposedly came directly from Mint bags and placed into the holders.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

hmmm difficult indeed, could go Gyffindor with light toning or as some have suggested Slytherin with some human help to improve the appearance. I'll say 65

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the 64* camp!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options

Excellent guesses and thoughts on a tricky coin. I posted more pics on a new thread to share more about the coin and how photography can hide some bad things.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1021438/gsa-shenanigans-gtg-reveal-photo-tricks/p1?new=1

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread. @Stuart looks like a wicked-smaht guy, as they say in New England.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the other thread first... so seeing this, I knew about the abrasive cleaning.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file