Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this 1921 Morgan?

Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2019 4:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked this up for $29 as a BU 1921 Morgan. I have seen a lot of these 1921 Morgans but this one had really surfaces unlike the others. I doubt it is PL but I wanted to share it with you guys as I have yet to see another one with surfaces like this! Nice piece for my collection as well.

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll leave the surfaces to others, but looks like wear on the cheek, chin, cap, eagle, and reverse fields & lettering to me.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obv is a touch noisey for me, the rev looks real nice. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it a 21 Morgan

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a very ordinary AU to me. It may have been dipped at one time. $29 was high.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 4:27PM

Looks like a nice Semi-PL AU 1921 Morgan. with Light Cameo Contrast between Devices & Fields.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely has PL qualities. However, the obverse looks weaker than reverse for PL, not uncommon, and obverse appears to be at around MS62 per technical grade. Not worth slabbing IMHO. Keep looking for a better example.

Here's my MS65

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU for wear, but really banged and scraped obverse.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it made your heart go pitter-patter it was a great use of $29. What all these guys are saying is there other 21's you COULD have got, that THEY THINK WOULD make their heart pitter-patter differently. But they do not collect what you do, and that is what coin collecting is not a team sport. Enjoy!

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like about AU58 to me. Not PL. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'll go out on a limb. I don't see any wear, but I agree there are hits to major focal points. .. cheek, LIBERTY, fields, eagle's chest, etc... 62.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice detail on the reverse, but significant hits and chatter on the obverse... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice detail on the reverse, but significant hits and chatter on the obverse... Cheers, RickO

This.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file