Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this an actual 1889 CC lowball or another date? hard to determine?

For the current price it seem like a steal if an actual 89, but I can't really say its an 89, maybe a more experienced member here can help...
What are your thoughts? coin is linked below

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-CC-Morgan-Silver-Dollar/163732001488?hash=item261f3012d0:g:nMoAAOSwZZpdAT9o

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

good thing the cc mintmark is not on the high point of the coin

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 89, the top of the last digit looks top of a 9. I think that last digit would look more like a upside down U if it were a 1880.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Kinda looks like it

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be 1880. Might compare it to one in the lowball silver dollar registry sets

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the small CC's used for 78 & 80

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Just going off these images, 1880. The widths of the upper ovals on the real 1889 are all close to the same, but the right-hand digit in ebay coin is significantly wider, like the 0. Also, at the level of the midpoint of the second 8, clearly visible, the left side of a 9 would be curving significantly towards the right, but in the image seems to be going straight down like a 0 in that spot.

@lkeigwin said:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say from those images.... Even after examining the picture enlarged, the detail is not clear enough... I cannot commit either way.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Looks like a 89, the top of the last digit looks top of a 9. I think that last digit would look more like a upside down U if it were a 1880.

Hmmmm on second thought. That last digit looked a lot like a 9 on a phone but now I'm thinking a 0 after looking at it on my 21 inch desktop screen.

I wasn't a lot of help was I?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have to agonize over it this much, it’s not worth almost $200 for an $11 disk of silver.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! I suspect even an 80-CC dollar in Fair+/- is worth quite a bit more than $11!

@BillJones said:
    If you have to agonize over it this much, it’s not worth almost $200 for an $11 disk of silver.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL! I suspect even an 80-CC dollar in Fair+/- is worth quite a bit more than $11!

@BillJones said:

Well, maybe to you. After a low grade coin reaches a certain point, I don't want it. Many years ago the 1796-7 Draped Bust, Small Eagle half was the last coin I needed to complete the half cent through non gold dollar type set. A dealer had one with Fair sharpness, polished and holed. He wanted $8,900, but it did not matter. If it had $25, it would have never made me happy. I have my limits when comes to junky coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file