Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What don't people collect?

Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about my collection, coin types I like to collect and why. For those of you who don't know me that well, my collection has been all over the place - no focus. I like Morgan Dollars, Mercury Dimes and WLHs. But, I easily got distracted, and found interest in many other types over the years. So, I ended up with a mishmash of all kinds of things, with no focus and no track to completing any kind of "set". As I think about the mess I have, I'm realizing that I don't need much of my collection - that it was more of hoarding than acquisition of coins that truly make me happy. Time to reevaluate.

Then, my thoughts turned to the most and least popular US coin types to collect. I'm guessing that Morgan Dollars might be one of the most popular US coin types to collect. What do you all think? What are the most popular US coin types to collect? Maybe Lincoln Cents (Wheaties and Moderns), because they are still so readily available, even in pocket change?

Conversely, what are the least popular US coin types to collect? I'm thinking the SBA Dollars, maybe? But, what about older types? Barber coinage, because I've read about so many people hating the design (although, I don't understand it)? Or, 2-cent and 3-cent pieces, because people just don't know much about them?

What do you all think? What are the most popular and least popular US coin types that are collected? And, why do you think so?

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

Comments

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd mention Half Cents (as not being particularly popular) but I intend to turn my attention to them eventually and don't want to drive up interest/prices. Whoops...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason 2c coins, trimes, and shield nickels are neglected. I have no idea why.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold dollars and fractionals don't seem to get that much attention.

I get the sense that flying eagle cents are somewhat popular, but I never see them posted here.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a dealer, the Morgan Dollars were the most popular coins among collectors who had some real money. Among those with limited funds, Lincoln Cents and most especially the State Quarters were popular. There was limited interest in the “odd denominations” like half cents, two cent pieces, three cent pieces (both types) and twenty cent pieces. Old type coins got some play, Walking Liberty Half Dollars had their fans.

Older Proof sets (1960s and up) were pretty dead and seem to be even more out of favor today. Generally the bigger the coin the better. I had customers who would not think of buying a half dime or gold dollar because the coins were too small.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Zoins said:

I get the sense that flying eagle cents are somewhat popular, but I never see them posted here.

Yeah, I don't see FECs, either. Wonder if they're popular, or not. There are a fair number of copper lovers here, so you'd think FECs would be fairly popular at least in this forum. But, what about the rest of the coin collecting population?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:

@Zoins said:

Yeah, I don't see FECs, either. Wonder if they're popular, or not. There are a fair number of copper lovers here, so you'd think FECs would be fairly popular at least in this forum. But, what about the rest of the coin collecting population?

The Flying Eagle Cents are piggybacked with the Indian Cent set so they have more fans than you might think. The design is also quite attractive in Choice AU and better.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 5:43PM

Collectors seem to love coin series with astronomical extant coin populations; Morgans, Bust halves, small cents, WLH, SLQ, buffs, mercs. Sure, the designs are very pleasing and aesthetic, and the sets can be completed in these series with only a few key date stoppers that are always available, just more expensive, which is probably one of the primary driving factors of their popularity.

Personally, I am done with set building because I tended to buy the date/mintmark to complete the set rather than to just buy coins that interest me. There is nothing wrong with a mish mash collection IMO. Coins I own now will be a mish-mash of coins i really enjoy to own.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Mine's a mish-mash too! :D

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@Zoins said:

The Flying Eagle Cents are piggybacked with the Indian Cent set so they have more fans than you might think. The design is also quite attractive in Choice AU and better.

That's what I would imagine too, but I just don't see many posted. I wonder why that's the case?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:
    I'd mention Half Cents (as not being particularly popular) but I intend to turn my attention to them eventually and don't want to drive up interest/prices. Whoops...

I love quality half cents since they are cheaper than their big sisters. Something about old copper has always attracted me.

I think 3 centers and liberty nickels are unpopular to many collectors. Regarding the mishmash, strive for quality vs quantity. If some of your coins don’t measure up, sell and consolidate. There doesn’t have to be a plan other than what brings you joy.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Popular: Morgans, Peace dollars, Walking Liberty halves, Lincoln cents, Indian Head cents, Buffalo nickels, Mercury Dimes
    Apparently quite popular recently: Roosevelt dimes, Jefferson nickels, Washington Quarters, Kennedy Halves, anything with nice toning
    Middling: Bust, seated, Barber
    Not popular: two cent, three cent, half dimes, shield nickels, SBA and more modern dollars

Just my opinions. I don't know anything about gold or early copper so I left those out.

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't buy nickels. I don't like the metal itself or how it looks. I think it goes back to the knife collector in me. I avoid nickel and especially nickel silver on knives. I can be quirky though.

I like buffalo nickels but would rather spend my money on gold, silver or copper.

I make exception to copper nickel IHC even though I only owned one.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options

@ARCO said:
    Personally, I am done with set building because I tended to buy the date/mintmark to complete the set rather than to just buy coins that interest me. There is nothing wrong with a mish mash collection IMO. Coins I own now will be a mish-mash of coins i really enjoy to own.

I'm leaning toward your collecting theory - just buy coins that interest you. My mishmash has lots of lower grade stuff that really doesn't interest me much - I was just trying to fill holes. My new mishmash will also be coins I really enjoy to own!

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 7:05PM

@JonBrand83 said:
    I don't buy nickels. I don't like the metal itself or how it looks. I think it goes back to the knife collector in me. I avoid nickel and especially nickel silver on knives. I can be quirky though.

I like buffalo nickels but would rather spend my money on gold, silver or copper.

Funny, I know 2c arent super popular but I just love them. Edit- oops meant to edit my previous post with this not repost it and agree with myself. :)

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Tax tokens are not very popular. B)

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options

@JonBrand83 said:

I was never big on Nickels, either. Not sure why. Never liked the Jefferson. But, lately, I'm taking a liking to some of the beautifully toned Buffs I've been seeing, especially within this group! I might have to change my tune on Buffs if I can get my hands on some of those iridescent beauties!

• Options

@Icollecteverything said:
    Tax tokens are not very popular. B)

I like the ones denominated in mills.

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Ike’s 🤮

• Options
  • Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Ike’s 🤮

D'oh! 😰

There are of course some exceptions 😂 Beautiful Coin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collected sets in years past... it was fun and they do look great when I pull them out. Now, I collect that which attracts me due to design or quality of strike/appearance... so I am in a mish mash mode... M3 one could say :D ...I also collect challenge coins due to the design, quality and multitudinous designs...and sources... Many have been given to me by people I have met, and people here on the forum (Thank you again)...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file