Options

What Card Runs are you Collecting?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@ahopkins said:
    @PROMETHIUS88 Awesome stuff, Tim. I've often thought about doing this with certain players. I kinda see Uecker in Milwaukee as Ashburn in Philly.

Or Schoendienst in StL or Pesky in Boston.

Indeed. I was only drawing from personal experience. I grew up with Ashburn and Kalas. It was like going to church.

Andy

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:

@DBesse27 said:

@ahopkins said:
    @PROMETHIUS88 Awesome stuff, Tim. I've often thought about doing this with certain players. I kinda see Uecker in Milwaukee as Ashburn in Philly.

Or Schoendienst in StL or Pesky in Boston.

Indeed. I was only drawing from personal experience. I grew up with Ashburn and Kalas. It was like going to church.

Those true icons, franchise lifers are really rare. Some franchises don’t even have one.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

One of the many things I collect is the 77 Topps Baseball design.
    Since 1977 Topps has used the 77 Baseball design about 750 times. I have around 700 of these.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

Be careful, you are tempting me to do the same thing with the 89 UD Griffey... :blush:

You can always try. But I'm willing to bet you doing that with 89 UD Griffey's will be tougher than the Ueck rookie run. I'm guessing that it's going to be difficult for you to find PSA 2, 3 and 4's of Griffey. I have tried to do 86 Fleer basketball sticker runs in PSA 6-9. Other than still needing a nice PSA 9 Kareem sticker I'm done with the sets in 7-9 and have 2 8's sets. I have been trying to complete the 6 set.....in actual 6, not just 8oc's that are in 6 holders because the submitter didn't want the qualifiers. I have found nice, well deserved 6's on all but 2 cards.... The Dantley and the English. And try sending them in to get EXACTLY a 6. I sure can't do it, lol. So, after all that, I say go for it. It will be a challenge but you should be able to easily get all grades 7-10 and even the half grades. Then those lower grades will be the challenge.....and that is the fun part!!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 9:24PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@NGS428 said:

Be careful, you are tempting me to do the same thing with the 89 UD Griffey... :blush:

You can always try. But I'm willing to bet you doing that with 89 UD Griffey's will be tougher than the Ueck rookie run. I'm guessing that it's going to be difficult for you to find PSA 2, 3 and 4's of Griffey. I have tried to do 86 Fleer basketball sticker runs in PSA 6-9. Other than still needing a nice PSA 9 Kareem sticker I'm done with the sets in 7-9 and have 2 8's sets. I have been trying to complete the 6 set.....in actual 6, not just 8oc's that are in 6 holders because the submitter didn't want the qualifiers. I have found nice, well deserved 6's on all but 2 cards.... The Dantley and the English. And try sending them in to get EXACTLY a 6. I sure can't do it, lol. So, after all that, I say go for it. It will be a challenge but you should be able to easily get all grades 7-10 and even the half grades. Then those lower grades will be the challenge.....and that is the fun part!!!

Yes, I am going for it. POPs on anything 3.5 and below is almost nonexistent. 4 at PR 1, 12 at Good 2, 77 at VG 3. Making my first purchase now before my 13% bucks run out. Decent priced 7.5 pop 67.

Here we go! (Already have the 10)

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll keep my eye open for any crappy, low grade ones, lol!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I'll keep my eye open for any crappy, low grade ones, lol!

I would appreciate that!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ I simply love those cards and that run. Congrats!

Andy

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@NGS428 said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I just recently completed a run of regular issue Topps Hank Aaron cards (1954-1976). Once I finished the 1954 and '55 Topps sets, I realized I had most of his cards so I filled in the blanks.

Impressive! Do you have any scans of them?

Took me awhile to to post @NGS428 but here is the Aaron run. Maybe not the best grades and generally older the card, the lower the grade. Bad Henry is my all-time favorite player.

Daniel, very nice run there! Thanks for taking the time to post! I appreciate it.

• Options
    lucasjlucasj Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

1987 Topps FB signed set. Been working on it since 1987. Down to needing 2 - Reggie White and Walter Payton on the Bears TC.

Contemplating starting a PSA RC run of Seahawks greats and notables.

1987 Topps FB - Signed
    1989 Hoops BB - Signed
    Seattle Seahawks & Mariners Key Cards
    Selectively Random Cards That Make Me Happy
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@ahopkins said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I'm buying all the 1962 Topps Bob Uecker rookies I can find at a good deal. So, I guess I have a Uecker run of all mixed grades. Sitting on about 20 of them right now.

Get 'em together and take a pic. Post it here. I'd love to see the collection. Really cool.

The last one pictured, raw, is a blank back proof that was a fairly recent pickup. I need to get it holdered. I have 2 more at PSA right now and one in my raw set. I guess that puts me at 18.....for now.

No wonder I can't pickup a Uecker Rookie!!!! Nice collection!!!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 6:19AM

This is kind of fun - a passion project and for those that don’t know, and even those that do, it’s a pretty fun story.

I collect the 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos; a set that is most noteworthy because it features one of the two rookie cards of Mickey Mantle that carry a date of 1951 (Bowman, the other).

When I began to collect the set there were 10 cards in the set in the Standard Catalog and on the PSA Registry Set (A-H, J and K). Armed with a basic understanding of the alphabet, I figured there had to be two missing cards and I began to both research and hunt. After hours upon hours of chasing down leads forever, I found two gentleman with an abundance of knowledge about the set who pointed me in the right direction and ultimately, I figured out the final two ‘missing’ cards - Ben Hogan and Jack Kramer. I reached out directly to Joe Orlando who put me in touch with a great guy in the research department. I presented my findings and PSA approved the new complete checklist and I now possess the most complete (and #1) PSA Registry set and helped with the creation of two new specs. It was an incredibly fun and satisfying project for me. My set, however, is still incomplete as I hunt for Jack Kramer. While I tend to pursue rare cards to begin with, this card is my true white whale and you can see the hole in the set it creates (below):

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a bit of a signed Lance Alworth & Johnny Robinson card-thing going on...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This is kind of fun - a passion project and for those that don’t know, and even those that do, it’s a pretty fun story.

I collect the 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos; a set that is most noteworthy because it features one of the two rookie cards of Mickey Mantle that carry a date of 1951 (Bowman, the other).

When I began to collect the set there were 10 cards in the set in the Standard Catalog and on the PSA Registry Set (A-H, J and K). Armed with a basic understanding of the alphabet, I figured there had to be two missing cards and I began to both research and hunt. After hours upon hours of chasing down leads forever, I found two gentleman with an abundance of knowledge about the set who pointed me in the right direction and ultimately, I figured out the final two ‘missing’ cards - Ben Hogan and Jack Kramer. I reached out directly to Joe Orlando who put me in touch with a great guy in the research department. I presented my findings and PSA approved the new complete checklist and I now possess the most complete (and #1) PSA Registry set and helped with the creation of two new specs. It was an incredibly fun and satisfying project for me. My set, however, is still incomplete as I hunt for Jack Kramer. While I tend to pursue rare cards to begin with, this card is my true white whale and you can see the hole in the set it creates (below):

These are fantastic. I love it when someone really digs into an esoteric set and learns all they can about it. Really nice work here!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

These are fantastic. I love it when someone really digs into an esoteric set and learns all they can about it. Really nice work here!

Agreed, and even better when that person shares the knowledge they've accumulated!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan
    @DBesse27

Thanks to you both!

If you’ve ever got the time, there’s actually quite a bit more information on the set available by clicking my subject line. A bit of a rabbit hole for sure but a fun one...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I put together a run of all the base Yankee Team sets from Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Upper Deck and Score and Bowman. I only do the base sets cards and not any of the Donruss leaf, or Fleer ultra kind of sets. So far I have every card with a Yankee pictured on it from each of the sets beginning their first year except the 1952 Topps high numbers. That one card #311 is probably not going to happen. It is nice now going to the monthly show and only worrying about getting the new release team set cards. They only cost me about $5.00 each time.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

Thanks, Abe, but that's not all of it for those two guys. Just most of the cards. ;-)

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topps Chrome Drew Brees
    Fleer Karl Malone
    Topps Heritage Clayton Kershaw
    Topps Heritage Christian Yelich

Then a multitude of basic sets, and basic Topps sets

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Not cards but Ive been trying to collect presidential inauguration tickets. Anything 1933 and later is super easy to find. Pre 1933 seem to be pretty tough to find though. I like the history behind them and it’s good way to memorize the Presidents in order which comes in handy during ridiculous trivia contests

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

@rexvos said:
    Topps Chrome Drew Brees
    Fleer Karl Malone

What about Bregman??

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a few different runs...Clemente, Musial, Mantle that I'm always working on or upgrading. Recently, I started the below run. Kind of a cool story...I was at the game with my dad and uncle. My dad never stays until the end of the game and for some reason, he stayed for this one. We all got to see this awesome catch, so I thought it would be cool to try to collect all the cards with the same image. I have a few more coming next week....

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Trout collection!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:

@rexvos said:
    Topps Chrome Drew Brees
    Fleer Karl Malone

What about Bregman??

Yeah him too

• Options

Well pdub proved that this thread is more fun with pictures. 17 Topps Chrome Bregman as of 6/28

Start with subject 0

Then

Then add the photo variation

• Options

Then there is 17 Bowman’s Best

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, and I thought 6 or so variations of some of the the 90s sets was crazy. Congrats!

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@rexvos - Nice looking cards. Good job getting some of those low numbered variations. I know from my own Mattingly hunt those can be tough to find. You have to be ready with your wallet out and loaded when they become available.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

@krisd3279 said:
    @rexvos - Nice looking cards. Good job getting some of those low numbered variations. I know from my own Mattingly hunt those can be tough to find. You have to be ready with your wallet out and loaded when they become available.

Thanks. I need the red chrome but never can seem to find one. Luckily a lot of the Topps chrome came for the same seller and since I bought them raw did not cost me nearly as much as a 10 would

• Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Great collections everyone. I’ve been working on 1987 Topps Cleveland Indians autographed. Not expensive just the year I remember collecting with my Grandfather and my team.

Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

This is my latest

This one should be here next week

Still some more patches, autos and #/10. A 1/1 of would be nice, but I would have to pull it myself or have someone give it to me.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

Mattinglys are great. I love Donny baseball.

This is what I call a luck of the draw run, it started with building the 17 Heritage Action set in PSA 10, then I ended up getting an extra base Heritage Trout from Dan B in a trade, then last but certainly of all not least pulled the Real One from a Heritage High Number box about a month ago, sent to PSA post haste, just got back this am

• Options

@rexvos said:
    Mattinglys are great. I love Donny baseball.

This is what I call a luck of the draw run, it started with building the 17 Heritage Action set in PSA 10, then I ended up getting an extra base Heritage Trout from Dan B in a trade, then last but certainly of all not least pulled the Real One from a Heritage High Number box about a month ago, sent to PSA post haste, just got back this am

Wow, incredible! I had no idea the Trout I sent was a 10, awesome! I never would have subbed it, so I’m glad you did and he has a happy home.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Mattingly and Trout runs, just awesome!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@NGS428 said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I just recently completed a run of regular issue Topps Hank Aaron cards (1954-1976). Once I finished the 1954 and '55 Topps sets, I realized I had most of his cards so I filled in the blanks.

Impressive! Do you have any scans of them?

Took me awhile to to post @NGS428 but here is the Aaron run. Maybe not the best grades and generally older the card, the lower the grade. Bad Henry is my all-time favorite player.

I am also working on hammering Hank. Still need the RC though

• Options

Just got these back from a sub to add to my 2016 run...

• Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Since I work at Sam Houston State and I handle the play by play for our baseball team, I just started a collection of rookies from every guy who has played the in big leagues. I picked up a few Ryan O’Hearns a few months ago including this auto

I actually pulled this Caleb Smith in a Heritage blaster last year.

But this is the one I picked up this morning of Ray Benge, the first Bearkat to play in the bigs. Also my first 1933 Goudey

I’d like to eventually get them all slabbed. We’ve got 15 who have made the show and some of them are a little harder to find than others.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2019 8:05PM

What an awesome idea for a collection! I’m a lifelong Providence College basketball fan and I’ve done the same thing, collecting rookies and autos of all PC alums who made “the show” (NBA). So far I’ve restricted it to NBA guys, with the exception of coach Rick Barnes.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be a bit much but I have the complete run of Topps Living.

Mike
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2019 8:39PM

@Stone193 nice post with Griffey and Keston. Us brewers fans have big hope for Keston. Thanks for showing Mike!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    @Stone193 nice post with Griffey and Keston. Us brewers fans have big hope for Keston. Thanks for showing Mike!

You're most welcome Nic.

Mike
  • Options

Added another Trout to this run...I think that brings my total so far to 13 different versions.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some one told me this guy could play basketball.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@NGS428 said:

Well, I am 11 cards in! Here is the digital showcase link:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/album/5243

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Hey BaltimoreYankee, I was meadering on the PSA forums, and chanced to see you beautiful run of Mr. Aaron. Very nice, sir. Well done. Since you enjoy The Hammer so much, may I suggest a few of Henry's regional / food issues to complement your run of gum:

1954 and 1955 Johnston Cookies

1962 or 1963 Salada Coin

1959 Bazooka

1965 and 1966 Kahn's Weiners

1967 Coca-Cola premium, as produced by Dexter Press (for years, the hobby erroneously refers to these as strictly Dexter Press. False. Dexter merely was hired by Coke to produce their gorgeous redemption over-sized premium cards. Dexter did a first-class job, but the name of the cards solely belongs to Coca-Cola; after all, it was THEIR promotion.)

1962 Post Cereal

If I may say, PSA grades all of them, and they look super in their respective holders!

All are reasonably challenging, and their common denominator is true---you had to purchase a product to procure your "free prize". Ah, the lore of the gorged! True, way back in the day, leftover unsold free prize cards frequently wound up at Wholesale Cards Co. on the East Coast. Their owner(s) over the years made sure to contact these companies sponsoring the promotions to buy their leftover once-"free prizes". So glad they did!!!

If perchance I am insulting your intelligence and hobby knowledge, forgive me; I was merely trying to help you enhance your cache of Henry. Anyway, happy collecting, bro.

--- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@erikthredd said:
    If you haven't seen it I can post a pic for you.

I'd love to see a pic, that one wasn't even on my radar.

Yes, but if one finally surfaces you need to watch out for fakes. It was the same printers making these stickers so you can't really tell a difference. Just make sure the seller has owned it for more than a few years because the fakes are relatively new.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.