Home U.S. Coin Forum

Chain Cents are cool. I wish I had one!

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't, so in the meantime, please allow me to live vicariously through you.
Show me yours!

peacockcoins

Comments

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I would classify most Chain Cent owners as "1%'ers". You need lots of Cash to own one.

I just got a Chain Cent Token recently. I'm certainly not a member of the 1 % elite. My Token is 1 of 100 so I suppose you could say I got 1% of the Chain Token Production.

You are the lucky winner of today's 1% 'er Club. PM me a shipping address and I'll put you in the Club with your very own Limited 1993 Chain Token.

I'm so impressed with mine I got it as my Avatar. 😁

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are cool, but not all that cool until you get to F12 or so. Some coins are nice enough all the way down to VG. The chain cent is not one of these. The ones I could possibly afford are therefore not cool.

So, that spot remains a big blank in my type set.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    They are cool, but not all that cool until you get to F12 or so. Some coins are nice enough all the way down to VG. The chain cent is not one of these. The ones I could possibly afford are therefore not cool.

So, that spot remains a big blank in my type set.

My first thought upon reading your comment was, "Ha. What a chucklehead! Of course Chain Cents are cool at all grade levels!". Then I looked at some lower grade examples. You know what? You just may be right. There isn't much there to appreciate below F12 or so... My apologies for calling you a chucklehead in my mind!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are cool down through AG if you appreciate how much they circulated, how much they bought, and how unusual that they survived being lost or melted.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2019 4:05PM

I don't have one...I've been trying to help, an older collector friend find one, that at least has a full date. We passed up the last Heritage offering...he didn't see it worth more than $1,800. It had a nice date, sold cheap, but he didn't like it. I don't know if I would have settled either...I'd want less porosity on coin; yet, these don't grow on trees...coin sold $2,640.00 with juice.

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[2/0/8/9/6/20896068],sizedata[850x600]&call=url[file:product.chain]

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[2/0/8/9/6/20896069],sizedata[850x600]&call=url[file:product.chain]

Good solid coin anyways for money. However; there are many with the chain...lacking the date...IDK...I agree with my 78 year old friend. Need the date, and as problem free as possible.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I watched this Chain Cent end yesterday

1793 Chain Cent AMERICA PCGS XF-40 CAC
    From the Edgemont Collection of U.S. Type Coins.
    Bid history:53 bids (view)Time left:Ended
    (Sun, Jun 09, 2019 04:06:16 PM Pacific Time)

On Great Collections

It was nice enough but at $55,000 it was not in my reach at all.

The Copper "Grove Minting Company " Token I got recently is good enough for my purposes. Beats the heck out of a Photograph.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one. Low grade. Don't miss it. Well, kinda. But ...IF... I get another it will be higher grade.

• IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I think the coolest thing would be if you found one, like in an old building or metal detecting. Then the grade wouldn't matter.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only... carried this Gallery Mint replica as a pocket piece for many years.

peacockcoins

@cardinal does not fail to deliver. One like that, yeah, that would do. :sunglasses:

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely understand Bryce's logic on this. I've looked at P01 to AG3 pieces just to have one... but, why? As a type collector I'm drawn to the design elements of a coin. One of these low end pieces was completely worn off on the obverse and had maybe 2 or 3 links on the reverse to be able to identify it as a legit Chain Cent... I'm sure it made someone happy... I'm equally happy it's not me!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
    edited June 10, 2019 9:58PM

Here are the photos for the coin referenced by @PocketArt above. He says this coin sold for $2640. It's in an NCS "Corroded, Fine details holder." Edited to fix excessive harshness on my part: It’s not a coin I’d want to own, but if it comes right down to it, Lance below is correct..... there aren’t that many to go around.

photo credit goes to HA.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a FR2. It doesn't deserve an appearance here.

But I have one and I'm okay with it. There aren't many to go around.
    Lance.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

My proof deep cameo. :D

• axelrichaxelrich Posts: 43 ✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    My proof deep cameo. :D

That's a one fine piece..

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

The closest I've ever come was buying an AG/G about 10 years ago.
    I got 'first shot' at anything I wanted from a complete collection that a dealer friend acquired from an old estate locked away since the mid-sixties. The chain cent had nice details and a clean light brown planchet, but no date. He came down to $1800 but I still passed, as I really wanted at least a partial date.
    I did acquire the '93 Lib Cap (and later sold, way too cheap), the damaged '99 later proven to be a very good fake that fooled a number of EAC guys (I was refunded my money, so that was good), and about 15 other pieces all at very good prices, including a nice VF '39/6 that the profit from the Lib Cap paid for.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm old enough to remember when AG 93s were sub-$1000 and I wish I had bought a few. I've said it before, I had an AG 99 that the next guy got into a VG-8 holder, every EAC person I showed it to agreed it was an AG but had nearly a full date.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still hoping to find one while metal detecting... My area goes way back...pre-colonial even.... so, it is possible that one could turn up around an old foundation or field...Cheers, RickO

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

EAC grading vs. PCGS grading notwithstanding, my bar for this date is a somewhat readable date and enough detail left to identify it readily. I can live with a certain amount of corrosion or planchet flaws... it comes with the territory. That said, and as others have intimated, these pieces don't come around that often in any condition!

Maybe I need to either pick up metal detecting, or hit the lottery!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few in varying grades. Definitely an historic coin which adds to its mystique, at least for me.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D - I think I'd have remorse not jumping on that that first shot clean light brown no date coin.

You bet I do.....especially after finding the '99 to be altered, since it sort of came down to getting one or the other - gah! Now I still need both.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to own one someday...

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Near perfect! That rim bump doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice G4.

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file