Home Sports Talk
Options

David Ortiz shot in Dominican Republic Disco

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 9, 2019 7:18PM in Sports Talk

Per the report, Ortiz was shot in a burglary at an amusement center in Santo Domingo, and transported to a local hospital. A suspect has been arrested, according to Dominican journalist Jose Monegro.

The 43-year-old’s current status is unknown.

“They called me to tell me that David is injured and that they took him to a medical center, but they did not tell me how he is or exactly where he was transferred,” Ortiz’s father, Leo, told ESPN.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prayed that he is ok.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN is saying he was shot in the leg. This guy is a superhero here in Boston I hope he pulls through this.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better chance of being killed there by having a drink from the hotel room minibar.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

just a good ambassador for baseball. hope he's okay.

• Options

Local Boston news is saying he was shot in the back but is stable right now..

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2019 8:51PM

I just read ESPN's report on it from 10 minutes ago, and it says he was shot in the lower back, and that the bullet went through his stomach and exited. Further, it said he is/was undergoing surgery.

Update: ESPN has updated their story, and they now report the doctor said Papi's in stable condition and out of danger.

Steve

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barstool Sports posted a video of the shooting and it def wasn't a burglary attempt but a failed assassination.

• Options

@maddux69 said:
    Barstool Sports posted a video of the shooting and it def wasn't a burglary attempt but a failed assassination.

That's how that video looks for sure.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

i definitely hope he is ok #Boston LEGEND

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ortiz was shot in a nightclub. He was shot in the lower back area and it was a through and through, striking an associate sitting next to him in the leg. The alleged shooter was caught and severely beaten by patrons. Ortiz is reported in stable condition and told medical staff..."please don't let me die, I'm a good guy".

• Options

Call me crazy but if I’m a millionaire I’m not going to any discos in the DR. In fact I’m not going to DR regardless, rich or poor

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Papi was born and grew up in the Dominican Republic.
    Has a charitable foundation that aids the children of the
    country. He is considered a HERO there.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I would not travel to any other country in the world with all the sh== going on right now. We have everything right here in this great country. Get well David and come back here to live.

• Options

@Tibor said:

Yes and he got shot. He is a HERO in Boston and could live here and still send money to help the kids over in DR. That’s a smarter play no matter how you slice it

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Tibor said:

Yes and he got shot. He is a HERO in Boston and could live here and still send money to help the kids over in DR. That’s a smarter play no matter how you slice it

Folks were killed and maimed running the Boston Marathon. One can hibernate and that is safer than mingling with folks and traveling the world. Not a good way to live though.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@Tibor said:

Folks were killed and maimed running the Boston Marathon. One can hibernate and that is safer than mingling with folks and traveling the world. Not a good way to live though.

Stop it. We are talking Boston vs a 3rd world lawless dump, your better off in Boston than the DR. And yea Ofcourse anything can happen any where but at least there is law and some order in Boston

• Options

Quick check of Wikipedia showed a DR 2017 murder rate of 15 per 100,000.

I worked a liquor counter in Detroit in the mid 1970's when the rate in the city was 100 per 100,000.

Boston is about 8 per 100,000. Phoenix a bit higher.

Maybe retired ballplayers should hang out in Iowa.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been some rumors out there about what he’s been up to since he retired so this isn’t entirely surprising. Having seen the video on the news this morning, that was clearly not random and seems very much like the work of a gangster. Obviously, your heart goes out to him at this time.I hope he fully recovers and we see that big smile again soon.

On a related note, I’m also glad he’ll never be in the batters box again crushing my Yankees over and over (and over). That guy gave me nightmares. Anyone out there who argues that there’s no such thing as clutch never saw David Ortiz play baseball.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Tim what rumors are you talking about? Please tell me he is not doing the drug scene.. I haven’t heard a thing about him since he retired

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just watched the video. I'm not going to speculate on the motive at this point.

That being said, without question the shooter knew who he was shooting.

Frankly, it was a very amateurish hit attempt for a number of reasons.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Hanging around in bars is not generally a good place to spend a lot of time but I have not heard talk of him participating in any bad things but bad things do happen in bars..

• Options

@pitboss said:
    Hanging around in bars is not generally a good place to spend a lot of time but I have not heard talk of him participating in any bad things but bad things do happen in bars..

Viewing the grainy footage that I saw on YouTube, it looked to be much more than just a sleazy type of bar, with loud music, dancing, etc, where you try to pick up chicks, etc, and fights tend to break out especially in inner city neighborhoods. Seemed to be a nice little restaurant with many tables, perhaps a sports bar sort of place. Didn't seem like a bad place to hang out that could be prone to violence, etc.

• Options

@stevek said:

@pitboss said:

Viewing the grainy footage that I saw on YouTube, it looked to be much more than just a sleazy type of bar, with loud music, dancing, etc, where you try to pick up chicks, etc, and fights tend to break out especially in inner city neighborhoods. Seemed to be a nice little restaurant with many tables, perhaps a sports bar sort of place. Didn't seem like a bad place to hang out that could be prone to violence, etc.

Sort of like the Machus Red Fox (you guys can Google that.)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@pitboss said:

I don't need to google it. He was the comedian who starred in that sitcom Sanford & Son. I just never knew that his actual first name was Machus.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

What's weird is you could leave the Red Fox and somehow end up at the Meadowlands :)

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@pitboss said:

I don't need to google it. He was the comedian who starred in that sitcom Sanford & Son. I just never knew that his actual first name was Machus.

"Redd Foxx" was a stage name. His real name was John Elroy Sanford.

As far as the "Machus Red Fox" is concerned, think Jimmy Hoffa.

Steve

• Options

If you ever want some straight talk about the mob, former high ranking mobster Michael Franzese videos on Youtube are tremendous. Franzese is not only informative but interesting as well.

He basically puts closure on the Jimmy Hoffa incident.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

What's weird is you could leave the Red Fox and somehow end up at the Meadowlands :)

Investigators had plenty of evidence...but nothing concrete.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

According to Michael Franzese's insinuation during an interview, Hoffa sleeps with the fishes. Likely at the bottom of a lake somewhere near Detroit.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

According to Michael Franzese's insinuation during an interview, Hoffa sleeps with the fishes. Likely at the bottom of a lake somewhere near Detroit.

Franzese likes to tell stories but I suspect that version is a lot more true than the Meadowlands.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

Franzese likes to tell stories but I suspect that version is a lot more true than the Meadowlands.

Jimmy Hoffa: Shot by Sal Briguglio, ordered by Tony Provenzano and rests in an oil drum in Jersey City.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I gotta say this, the Red Fox had the absolute best bakery. We got birthday cakes from the place for a couple of years before "the hit."

Sorry for derailing the Ortiz thread.

;)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also like to hear the rumors about ortiz some are talking about. I havent heard anything since he retired.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    I gotta say this, the Red Fox had the absolute best bakery. We got birthday cakes from the place for a couple of years before "the hit."

Sorry for derailing the Ortiz thread.

;)

You started the thread. There is no such thing as derailing your own thread. :D;)

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I would also like to hear the rumors about ortiz some are talking about. I havent heard anything since he retired.

Coke and Strippers is what I was told. Nothing concrete though, as the person who told me “I’m not judging”

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Coke and Strippers is what I was told. Nothing concrete though, as the person who told me “I’m not judging”

I hope that's not true. As a husband and father ( myself and him) I hate to hear those types of things. Family first.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    There have been some rumors out there about what he’s been up to since he retired so this isn’t entirely surprising. Having seen the video on the news this morning, that was clearly not random and seems very much like the work of a gangster. Obviously, your heart goes out to him at this time.I hope he fully recovers and we see that big smile again soon.

On a related note, I’m also glad he’ll never be in the batters box again crushing my Yankees over and over (and over). That guy gave me nightmares. Anyone out there who argues that there’s no such thing as clutch never saw David Ortiz play baseball.

I remember seeing him hit an absolute lazer beam home run back when he played for the Twins. Another guy they got rid of for nothing.

The local press didn't like it and neither did I.

Yes I know he was offered to everyone before he was released. He had a .500 SLG his last year with Minnesota. That's when they were trying to turn all their hitters into go the other way "slap" hitters.

STUPID.

Hope David recovers quickly.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26958816/suspect-ortiz-shooting-was-offered-78k
    Six suspects are now in custody in what was definitely a attempted hit job on Ortiz. No motive has been mentioned yet.

• Options

If there were 6 guys in on it then he is into some shady stuff

• Options

@1970s said:

@erikthredd said:
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26958816/suspect-ortiz-shooting-was-offered-78k
    Six suspects are now in custody in what was definitely a attempted hit job on Ortiz. No motive has been mentioned yet.

Everyone loves Papi. I love Papi. What a great guy for Boston and the game of baseball. But what if ? What if ?
    What if he was involved in taking PED's ? What if he was very involved in the drug scene in the DR ? What if he went there often to conduct "business" ? What if the hit on his life was over control of the local "business" ?

These questions are going around the minds of investigators I'm sure, and we're all praying that's not the case here, but
    we'll see how this all plays out.

He was involved in PEDs. He admitted as much as he acknowledged being on ‘The List’ that was never to be published but was...

• Options

@1970s said:

@erikthredd said:

Everyone loves Papi. I love Papi. What a great guy for Boston and the game of baseball. But what if ? What if ?
    What if he was involved in taking PED's ? What if he was very involved in the drug scene in the DR ? What if he went there often to conduct "business" ? What if the hit on his life was over control of the local "business" ?

These questions are going around the minds of investigators I'm sure, and we're all praying that's not the case here, but

Saying that the investigators are questioning if he was taking PEDs during his playing days is a huuuuuge stretch and in all honestly totally irrelevant to what just happened to him. That is your opinion not theirs. He might have been involved in something illegal but nothing has come out yet to even suggest that was remotely possible. Try not to let your imagination run away with what is going there. Those investigators have moved pretty quick to get that far into the investigation and we'll probably get the truth soon enough.

• Options

Just a total guess that i don't think anyone has mentioned, and I'm just throwing it out there, doesn't mean I even believe it or not. But Ortiz may have been shot for what he didn't do.

These mob drug dealers are violent demented creatures in all sorts of aspects. One of them may have asked Ortiz, since he was famous, to connect him with ballplayers and others so the dealer would have access to rich customers. Perhaps Ortiz refused and the dealer considered that an insult to him. The dealer figured the insult had to be dealt with by killing Ortiz, sending a message to others who don't go along with what this dealer wants them to do. Either cooperate with what this drug dealer wants, or die.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Just a total guess that i don't think anyone has mentioned, and I'm just throwing it out there, doesn't mean I even believe it or not. But Ortiz may have been shot for what he didn't do.

These mob drug dealers are violent demented creatures in all sorts of aspects. One of them may have asked Ortiz, since he was famous, to connect him with ballplayers and others so the dealer would have access to rich customers. Perhaps Ortiz refused and the dealer considered that an insult to him. The dealer figured the insult had to be dealt with by killing Ortiz, sending a message to others who don't go along with what this dealer wants them to do. Either cooperate with what this drug dealer wants, or die.

Anything is possible, but Pappy is innocent until proven guilty.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be an interesting HOF induction day ceremony and the time leading up to that event.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 1:52PM

@1970s said:

@erikthredd said:

He was involved in PEDs. He admitted as much as he acknowledged being on ‘The List’ that was never to be published but was...

He served a suspension for it didn't he? No different than the others. Him getting into the HOF would be sad if they are keeping others out for doing the same thing.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2019 1:59PM

-> @Tomi said:

@1970s said:

@erikthredd said:

He served a suspension for it didn't he? No different than the others. Him getting into the HOF would be sad if they are keeping others out for doing the same thing.

IIRC he never was suspended for PEDs. He made the Mitchell Report but there was never a suspension for making that list nor did MLB ever tell him what he supposedly made the list for.

edit: No PED suspension
    https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/boston-red-sox/david-ortiz-100/fines/

• Options
    edited June 13, 2019 2:10PM

Our heroes fall hard. I was a huge fan of Denny McLain. Difficult not to be as an 11 year old kid watching the ace compile an unheard of 31-6 record. He was a rogue though. Did at least stints in prison long after his baseball career was over.