Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

what can I do with this high grade Canada 1948 quarter?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received two Canada quarters. a 1947 and a 1948.
they are both very crisp high grade, I mean choice BUNC the way I see it. I think these are SP coins. the rims and reeding are sharper than a file.
the fields both sides in both coins are like a mirror. no signs of any use.
However, they most have been stored in an unfriendly location as they are toned in such a way that they look seriously ugly. I could live with it if the toning would be all in the bluish tones or similar. But toned spots are "rusty ugly". it is very difficult to photograph and show it properly.
perhaps a short dip might fix this?
I will try again tonight to take better images .
any opinion and comments are appreciated.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

Please do not dip them! Check your private messages.

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 6:08AM

Agree that's this coin is a specimen, they are often badly toned.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, don't focus on the toning, what's done is done. The detail of the mint state is way more important. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Might be worth sending in for conservation, depending on your cost and how you think they will grade.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

I want to see a picture of the 1947 also...

• Options

as you wish,
    it is a bit nicer ( eye appeal) than the 48. IMO.

• Options
    edited June 1, 2019 8:00PM

Elmhurst, I am sure you are aware that cost is close to "prohibitive" when sending a coin for grading to our host from Canada and getting it back.
    I wish our host would buy ICCS.... ;) ... seriously!!! ( Brian wake up!!!!!)
    My cost...No secret, on the Bay about US$ 55 for both, including shipping from a dealer in Portugal.
    I realized that the coins were probably worth it on the images the seller posted.
    these dates are actually not within my interests, but why not? I have a "few" others in high grades around these dates and older.
    Interesting, IMO , is the RCM did not strike PL coins at these times... so, what are the choices?
    MS?? SP??, but what about mirror???

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Well, sorry if I upset you. The toning is uneven, but I think this is a result of being 80% silver rather than 90% or sterling. I think you did well considering what you paid, and I like both.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 1947... The 1948 would need to be seen in hand. I would have concerns as to the surfaces and what a restoration may do in terms of the outcome.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.