Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you rate this coin from these pictures? Got it!

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 10, 2019 1:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Took a gamble this morning...not really as no way it's worth less than I paid....if problem free a home run!

Comments

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF45
    too much wear for better.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 8:13AM

You've already rated the coin - so enjoy it!

PS: The "O" fell off....

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au50 - Cleaned in the past with the benefit of sitting in an album for years afterwards.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rate it $250.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU something with a possible cleaning especially on the obverse.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be cleaned, could be the lighting... AU50-53? or details

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 9:48AM

@Insider2 said:
    I rate it $250.

Fair, though marginal.

@marcmoish said:
    EF45
    too much wear for better.

Brown and Dunn grading suggests otherwise

@MFeld said:
    AU details, cleaned.

@MFeld and I have long-held apposite opinions on what constitutes "cleaning".

In this instance I see the coin having sufficient underlying frost that no or very negligible "dipping" took place and the toning is inobtrusive (meh) whether natural or secondary.
    I don't see the shifts in sheen or vibrancy in the brighter patches where toning could be interpreted as semi-masking hairlines

So, based on Forum wisdom, I clearly can't grade from pictures :p . In case you hadn't noticed. :s
    If you bought it late at night and it still hasn't shown up in the mail, I can only warn you that I'm finding this AccuGrade MS64 very tricky to assess from pictures alone. :*

Grading and shipping costs will cut into your profit margin significantly.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mildly cleaned with trace secondary toning...

Could still straight grade as based on what I see in holders it's TPGS acceptable.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2019 10:08AM

IMO, based on the image, I see no evidence of improper cleaning that would get the coin "detailed."

Additionally, IMHO, grading this coin XF-anything would get you a seat in the corner with a dunce cap (LOL, I've been there once as an adult and many times in kindergarten!). XF is a wacky grade for this AU.

@ColonelJessup I agree. If I were behind a counter, I would offer $95 (because the coin is a harshly cleaned VF) and sleep like a baby. Only joking, probably offer $120 and not care if I bought it.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2019 10:25AM

We'll see if it shows up and I'll post pictures when it does. It's coming from Greece! :o

If it's cleaned I still did OK. IMHO there is no way to rate the surfaces from the pictures provided.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    IMO, based on the image, I see no evidence of improper cleaning that would get the coin "detailed."

Additionally, IMHO, grading this coin XF-anything would get you a seat in the corner with a dunce cap (LOL, I've been there once as an adult and many times in kindergarten!). XF is a wacky grade for this AU.

@ColonelJessup I agree. If I were behind a counter, I would offer $95 (because the coin is a harshly cleaned VF) and sleep like a baby. Only joking, probably offer $120 and not care if I bought it.

The sheen looks off to me, so I suspect that the coin has been cleaned (not just dipped). But it could easily be the imaging/lighting that's giving me that impression.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Au50 - Cleaned in the past with the benefit of sitting in an album for years afterwards.

I agree with the grade. There's mint luster present in the protected areas. I also think that it has been cleaned at some point due to the lines across the obverse.

Still a nice coin.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    We'll see if it shows up and I'll post pictures when it does. It's coming from Greece! :o

If it's cleaned I still did OK. IMHO there is no way to rate the surfaces from the pictures provided.

Thought Greece (and Turkey) didn't take PayPal?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we were specifically asked "from these pictures", I'm going to guess the pictures are potentially deceiving?

I thought mid-AU for the grade, and the scratches/slide marks(?) on the cheek and obverse field are concerning, but not necessarily deal breakers until I saw it in hand.

So I'll go AU, with questions....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

Well! They do take Paypal Credit! Interest free for 6 months so a no brainer!

@Broadstruck said:

@amwldcoin said:

Thought Greece (and Turkey) didn't take PayPal?

• Options

Your remarks are exactly why I posted this. This coin IMHO could be anything from a hairlined piece of crap to a very nice AU.

@TommyType said:
    Since we were specifically asked "from these pictures", I'm going to guess the pictures are potentially deceiving?

I thought mid-AU for the grade, and the scratches/slide marks(?) on the cheek and obverse field are concerning, but not necessarily deal breakers until I saw it in hand.

So I'll go AU, with questions....

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

The sheen looks off to me, so I suspect that the coin has been cleaned (not just dipped). But it could easily be the imaging/lighting that's giving me that impression.

Oops! If it is coming from Greece, it has been scrubbed! They do that you know.

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Cleaned or not, it's going to arrive with a faint odor of tzatziki.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It's coming from Greece!"

Hope you don't have a hijacked photo of a genuine coin and end up getting a counterfeit.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy, Greeks bearing gifts. Good luck!

• Options

Easy solution! Item not as described. Seller has a lot of feedback @100%.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "It's coming from Greece!"

Hope you don't have a hijacked photo of a genuine coin and end up getting a counterfeit.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your purchase.... the lines on the obverse look more like handling damage... but could be old cleaning and tarnished.... hard to say for sure.... Be sure to let us know when you get it... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 5:16AM

Well preserved has some original luster and shows signs of a gentle soak evident by the dirt accumulated around outer diameter of the coin. All major details visible with minor details gone due to normal short time in circulation. It sure is a nice coin.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Well. I got the coin. Much to my surprise it arrived very quickly and tracked all the way through! I even had to sign for it.

Jun 10, 2019
    15:19pm
    Delivered

Jun 10, 2019
    10:56am
    Available for Pickup

Jun 10, 2019
    08:51am
    Sorting Complete

Jun 10, 2019
    05:54am
    Arrived at Unit

Jun 9, 2019
    22:31pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

Jun 9, 2019
    00:00am
    In Transit to Next Facility

Jun 8, 2019
    04:34am
    Arrived at USPS Facility

Jun 7, 2019
    09:44am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility

Jun 6, 2019
    21:22pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility

Jun 6, 2019
    11:06am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

Jun 5, 2019
    21:05pm
    Processed Through Facility

Jun 5, 2019
    03:14am
    Processed Through Facility

Jun 5, 2019
    01:17am
    DISPATCH LOADED (--> ATHENS AIRMAIL CENTER)

Jun 5, 2019
    01:03am
    DISPATCH UNLOADED

Jun 5, 2019
    00:14am
    DEPARTURE FROM OUTWARD OFFICE OF EXCHANGE (--> UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

Jun 5, 2019
    00:06am
    ARRIVAL AT OUTWARD OFFICE OF EXCHANGE

Jun 4, 2019
    18:07pm
    DISPATCH LOADED (--> ATHENS SORTING CENTER)

Jun 4, 2019
    17:19pm
    DISPATCH CLOSED (--> ATHENS AIRMAIL CENTER)

Jun 4, 2019
    15:19pm
    ITEM ARRIVED AT

Jun 4, 2019
    12:52pm
    DISPATCH CLOSED (--> THESSALONIKI SORTING CENTER)

Jun 3, 2019
    14:33pm
    ITEM PICK UP

Jun 3, 2019
    09:21am PDT
    Tracking number provided

I give the coin a 50/50 shot at straight grading. As I suspected the picture was taken in a manner to hide marks and scratches. Here are my pictures which could be better.

• Options

AU-58 amount of rub (change of color on cheek and wing tips). But scruffy coin, so AU-Typical. Perhaps 53 or 55.

• Options

She's had a rough paper route in Greece ;)

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

I would wager it would come back as a details coin. Cleaned, hairlines, etc.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2019 4:27PM

Some coins are difficult to scan. No doubt she is a beauty in hand.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AU cleaned. Too many hairlines on the obverse

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the underlying mint frost in the devices, but the vertical hairlines on the obverse give me pause....

AU 50, cleaned...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2019 2:48PM

Those are hairlines from circulation. There are some light scratches that don't seem to show up, which is my only concern. @Arco....it just a meh AU50-53 to me. But who's complaining! I bought it for less than XF common date price!

On a side note how can the Greeks do a registered package for 5 Euros to the US and it costs us almost $20?

@coinJP said:
    Looks AU cleaned. Too many hairlines on the obverse

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's the photo, but I'm seeing that in a details holder. If I bought it in a sight-unseen bid in a straight-grade holder, I'd be disappointed if that's what arrived.

• Options

Here's another picture of the obverse with out as much direct light. Not much better though!

• Options

All I can say is you would be surprised how many Barber Half's that are graded would disappoint you! That's why there is such a big swing in the prices they sell for. And of course all the price guides reflect the crap and not the quality coins! I don't usually buy coins like this anymore, graded or not...but this was just too cheap to pass on!

@BryceM said:
    Maybe it's the photo, but I'm seeing that in a details holder. If I bought it in a sight-unseen bid in a straight-grade holder, I'd be disappointed if that's what arrived.

• Options

Light strike area in IN is that commonly know variety?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

That's an anomaly in the picture. Some coins are photogenic and some are not. This one is not!

@Kkathyl said:

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries. In some ways collecting Barbers is strange. One of those series where it’s sometimes easier to find a nice gem than a wholesome AU coin. :)

Totally agree on the pricing issue. Every coin is a sweet deal at some price point.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    That's an anomaly in the picture. Some coins are photogenic and some are not. This one is not!

@Kkathyl said:

Either way it’s a good year and way better then anything I have.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

New pictures, AU50

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file