Home Precious Metals
Options

Reality - stock market continues up, metals continue to languish.

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2019 6:22AM in Precious Metals

What's that old saw - the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent. Something like that.

Admittedly, there are many more people vested in stocks who would be extremely unhappy if the market decided to head south, and without a doubt, these are the politics of the situation.

However, since central banks are buying quite a bit of gold - you might expect that to be supportive of the price, eh? And considering the debt overhang and it's servicing cost structure (especially if and when rates rise - which should be happening towards the end of an economic expansion), it's a bit weird that gold isn't making a move.

In addition, if the stock market is indeed reflective of a healthy and booming economy (somewhat subject to debate), then silver, palladium and platinum ought to be on the march upwards, eh? But that's not the case. Why would that be?

As I noted, the market can remain irrational. In the meantime, the metals are simply a bargain and best of all - they are a real asset (not paper) with zero counterparty risk. Market risk, yeah - some. But counterparty risk, no.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you stated, I’m in the group who prefer a healthy stock market over booming metal prices. The stagnation of gold prices in the last couple of years doesn’t bother me, but the increase of central banks purchasing gold and now one of the biggest banks in the country (Key Bank) prohibiting the storage of gold in their SDBs has my spidey senses tingling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold has certainly been virtually level in the market for a long time now...I do not know if the current signs (central bank buys) indicate imminent price movement... I do think that the debt picture (here and worldwide) is a matter that concerns the money people.... and perhaps they are buying 'insurance' against economic disaster....Certainly something has to change at some point....(how is that for a safe prediction ;) )....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Ricko, that's like predicting that people will still like nice, full-luster mintstate coins in the foreseeable future. B)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone shorting boeing? This whole thing could be much worse for the stock than the emission cheating scandal of VW and others. Putting profits over pollution is one thing , putting profits over passenger safety knowingly is way worse.

This is a terrible company who's stock hasn't been beaten down nearly enough over this

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why any miner would go deep in a hole for less than $15 an hour... or per ounce. Must be fun.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never would have imagined. 😉😀

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of Tiny bubbles - Don Ho Enjoy your stocks lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Reminds me of Tiny bubbles - Don Ho Enjoy your stocks lol

Don Ho , thats a blast from the past . TV doesn't do that any more. When I was growing up there were a lot of those oddball variety shows on . Now its a wasteland of garbage reality shows where desperate nobodies try to grab a hold of some sort of fame in exchange for minimum wage pay scale.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the PM I buy are mostly tied to a collectible premium and cool factor. I’m clearly not buying bulk weight metal for an investment play. When metal goes on price spike I still find it hard to sell because I’m just to interested in the pieces to care.

As far as a stock or ira company, it’s all about the numbers with zero emotional attatchment.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way OT.

Don Ho. Tiny Bubbles

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muEFD_odvUg

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078

anyone shorting boeing? This whole thing could be much worse for the stock than the emission cheating scandal of VW and others. Putting profits over pollution is one thing , putting profits over passenger safety knowingly is way worse.
    This is a terrible company who's stock hasn't been beaten down nearly enough over this

I would actually argue that Boeing stock is attractively priced right now, or at least getting close. BTW, while Boeing has officially accepted responsibility for these two terrible accidents, do you have proof that 'Boeing is putting profits over passenger safety'? I'd be very interested in what you are referring to. Thanks.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    eddie1943eddie1943 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited May 25, 2019 4:00PM

@Downtown1974 said:
    As you stated, I’m in the group who prefer a healthy stock market over booming metal prices. The stagnation of gold prices in the last couple of years doesn’t bother me, but the increase of central banks purchasing gold and now one of the biggest banks in the country (Key Bank) prohibiting the storage of gold in their SDBs has my spidey senses tingling.

From the KeyBank Web site July 2018 The other types of items that are smart to keep in your box are valuable items you don't often access. Things like jewelry you wear just once or twice a year, (small) art pieces that you've purchased as an investment, precious metals, and some antiques can all be stored in a safe deposit box.
    Has KeyBank prohibited storage of gold in their SDB's after July 2018?

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eddie1943 : very thoughtful posts. Thanks for joining us!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:

Could not find any reference to your allegation re Key Banks SDB's policy on gold storage. Do you have a link?

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Downtown1974 said:

Could not find any reference to your allegation re Key Banks SDB's policy on gold storage. Do you have a link?

Posted on this thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12326989/#Comment_12326989

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting to play the ERX again and holding the trigger on TBT treasuries , When? rates rise.
    UGAZ folks getting creamed. Bottom in in NatGas? I have been so wrong on the metals for so long but did feast on $300 gold in 2000.
    GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@Hemispherical said:

@OPA said:

@Downtown1974 said:

Posted on this thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12326989/#Comment_12326989

I think those SDB contracts say you aren't allowed to store guns either. Here "they" come. Lol

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA My allegations were based from what I heard on a thread in the Coin Forum which hemispherical kindly linked. I never opened a box with them based on what the branch manager told me about not keeping ANY valuables in the box.

• Options

@Dave99B said:
    @bronco2078

I would actually argue that Boeing stock is attractively priced right now, or at least getting close. BTW, while Boeing has officially accepted responsibility for these two terrible accidents, do you have proof that 'Boeing is putting profits over passenger safety'? I'd be very interested in what you are referring to. Thanks.

Dave

just the existence of that airplane itself. A cobbled together mess they thought they could fix with poorly written software. Its embarrassing the way they want to blame pilots for the loss of these planes when they can't spare loose change for a sensor or circuit of some sort to check that these angle of attack sensors are agreeing with each other before they drive the plane straight into the ground. They have captured the government up there though and bought the necessary senators in DC I guess.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 5:17AM

It is up to the pilots to fly the plane.

Disabling the sensor should have been done instead of fighting the controls into the ground. instrumentation and sensors break. they should know how to handle it.

However, the software needed to be more robust. This is Boeing's fault. It is troubling that the software fix is taking so long. It doesn't look good and looks like they rushed the software out on a new model.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I dont want to be on a plane that can be "fixed" by tweaking software.

• Options

Then you don't want to be on a plane requiring software

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    It is up to the pilots to fly the plane.

Disabling the sensor should have been done instead of fighting the controls into the ground. instrumentation and sensors break. they should know how to handle it.

However, the software needed to be more robust. This is Boeing's fault. It is troubling that the software fix is taking so long. It doesn't look good and looks like they rushed the software out on a new model.

the two angle of attack sensors disagreed , the software cut the pilots out of the loop because it was seeing the malfunctioning sensor and overruling the controls. It wasn't actually possible to turn the software off.

• Options

it was possible to disable the system. the ethopian pilots actually did that at first, then they re-enabled and rode it down.

• Options

more info. hmmm interesting development.

To prevent the MCAS from continually pushing the nose down in the event of bad sensor data or some other software failure, Boeing instructed pilots to deactivate the system using procedures already in place for dealing with runaway stabilizer control systems in other 737 aircraft—flipping two stabilizer trim “cutout” switches to the “cutout” position. Failure to do so could result in the system pushing the stabilizers to their movement limit—putting the aircraft into a steep dive. The pilots of the Ethiopian Airlines flight did flip the cutout switches, and they cranked the controls to attempt to regain positive stabilizer control. But they continued to have difficulty controlling the aircraft.

It is not clear at this point whether the pilots purposely reactivated the MCAS’ stabilizer control or if the software reactivated on its own after shutdown. While a Wall Street Journal source said that it appeared the pilots turned the system back on in hopes of regaining control over the stabilizers, Reuters reports that the software may have reactivated without human intervention, and further investigations of that possibility are ongoing.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/ethiopian-air-pilots-turned-off-737-max-anti-stall-system-then-it-turned-on-again/

• Options
    edited May 30, 2019 8:10AM

anyway, economic news and pm's

is today's move of $25 in palladium due to the trade war?

• Options
    edited May 30, 2019 9:13AM

@MsMorrisine said:

I want to be on a plane...not lines of code.

Hard to believe planes flew before computers. Lol

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of speculation here. Lots. I’m interested to see the findings in the final reports.

Devastating accidents, regardless of where blame lands. So many lost souls. Beyond tragic.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold move up in June, then the hammer back down, higher in July. By year end gold and silver will all be at new highs. Yep, you heard it here first.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@derryb said:
    Gold move up in June, then the hammer back down, higher in July. By year end gold and silver will all be at new highs. Yep, you heard it here first.

From your mouth to God''s ears.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

For once, I hope you'r correct. But I'm not holding my breath. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2019 5:07AM

I was going to buy some gold the other day, but I decided on platinum. If gold really does get hammered down in July, I will go ahead with that gold purchase as well.

It's all about rescuing those poor little dollars that keep crying out "help, save me! save me!"

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver goes nowhere, meanwhile bitcoin triples in 2 months? I used to be a silver bull, but it's been beaten out of me, Now I think silver will be around $14 to $15 until the year 2100.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

>

It's all about rescuing those poor little dollars that keep crying out "help, save me! save me!"

You've been saying that for the better part of a decade. I think those dollars feel more imprisoned than rescued.

• Options

You've been saying that for the better part of a decade. I think those dollars feel more imprisoned than rescued.

I'm VERY comfortable with buying precious metals at a low cost basis. True, I have NOT chased the stock market bubble since I left it in 2007. True enough.

Your comment is duly noted. B)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Silver goes nowhere, meanwhile bitcoin triples in 2 months? I used to be a silver bull, but it's been beaten out of me, Now I think silver will be around $14 to $15 until the year 2100.

lot of bitcoin trading going on , no one ever uses bitcoin though

• Options
    edited June 4, 2019 1:32PM

@jmski52 said:

I'm VERY comfortable with buying precious metals at a low cost basis. True, I have NOT chased the stock market bubble since I left it in 2007. True enough.

Well, at least silver is still the same price as in 2007, so I guess you havent missed much.

• Options

I used to be a silver bull, but it's been beaten out of me, Now I think silver will be around $14 to $15 until the year 2100.

This may be a "sign".

Silver is a very emotional girl, with borderline personality. Just when you think she doesn't like you, all of a sudden she's hot for your body. :)

And then, she's not. :'(

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

I wouldn't drive in a new car then if I were you. "Vault 7" leaks back in 2017 showed that the CIA was researching some funny business...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/wikileaks-cia-documents-files-spying-car-control-hack-central-intelligence-agency-a7616851.html

From the article: “As of October 2014 the CIA was also looking at infecting the vehicle control systems used by modern cars and trucks,” reads a passage in the release."

I wonder why they might want to be able to control a vehicle? >:)

• Options

@ShadyDave said:

@cohodk said:

I wouldn't drive in a new car then if I were you. "Vault 7" leaks back in 2017 showed that the CIA was researching some funny business...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/wikileaks-cia-documents-files-spying-car-control-hack-central-intelligence-agency-a7616851.html

From the article: “As of October 2014 the CIA was also looking at infecting the vehicle control systems used by modern cars and trucks,” reads a passage in the release."

I wonder why they might want to be able to control a vehicle? >:)

I can still slam on the breaks and turn the car off. Kinda hard (and not advised) to do that on a plane.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 7:49PM

Metals are totally duds, but we cannot resist them. In the short term (about 100 years) nothing happens, but when someone gets your silver or gold hoard 2,000 years in the future, they will prosper. :)

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I want to be on a plane...not lines of code.

Hard to believe planes flew before computers. Lol

And statistically were FAR more dangerous than they are today.