Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In GOLD We Trust! - Post Your Favorite $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagles - (Types 1, 2 & 3)

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 25, 2019 11:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’m pleased to share some of my favorite $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagles in my collection with my fellow forum members. 😁

1852 $20 Gold Double Eagle (Type 1) - PCGS AU-58
imageimage

1873 (Open 3) $20 Liberty (Type 2) Double Eagle - PCGS MS-61

1873-S (Closed 3) $20 Liberty (Type 2) Double Eagle - PCGS AU-58

1890-CC $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle - (Improved Images - 2019)

1893-CC $20 Liberty (Type 3) Double Eagle - PCGS AU-58

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, Thank you for sharing with us.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, all of them. Would love to see the PL 90CC up close!

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those 20$ liberties are my favorite coin sadly it is unlikely I will own one in the next 15 years at least.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BloodMan said:
    Here is a Type 1 graded AU58 and CAC approved.

Like cocaine for the eyes!

• Options
    edited May 19, 2019 6:12PM

@JustACommeman That’s a Drop-Dead Gorgeous 1857-S $20 Liberty!! 😁

She’s worthy of a larger sized photo post. — Thanks for sharing her with us.👍

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude said:
    Here are a few of mine...

Why so few? :D

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always wanted a $20 Gold Liberty that I could wear........

to coin shows.

OINK

• Options
    edited May 19, 2019 9:24PM

@Kaz Thanks for your kind words.

An interesting story about how I acquired the 1890-CC $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle.

I traded around $3K in silver bullion about 10 years ago, when the price of silver was higher, and the market value of CC $20 Libs was lower — only about 1/3 of today’s price.

Turned out to be a great trade for me! 😁

1890-CC $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle - NGC AU-58

@kaz said:
    Very nice, all of them. Would love to see the PL 90CC up close!

Stuart

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stuart .... Really nice gold coins....Especially the CC gold... combines my two favorites... gold and CC.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common, but pretty:

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

1893 cc !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Courtesy picture post for @Timbuk3

Stuart

• Options

@CrazyHoundDog I love the Original Copper Colored Mint Bloom on the obverse and reverse devices of your 1898-S $20 Liberty Gold Double 🦅 🦅 Eagle!! 😁👍

Stuart

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Profliz, both are outstanding coins, the muted but rich brownish gold 1861 is really a beautiful sight to behold.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 9:25PM

Allow me to Wax Poetic: 😁

@ARCO With Reference to your following quoted post IMO part of the beauty of a $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle is the Balanced combination of the Classic yet Elegant obverse design in its simplicity, complimented by the detailed Symbolic yet Complex reverse.

The above mentioned design features when executed on a 34 millimeter Artistic Canvas of nearly 1 Ounce of Gold exhibiting strong Cartwheel effect swirling Mint Luster has a Mesmerizing effect on me, and is always quite a pleasure for the senses to behold (both visual and tactile).

1873 (Open 3) $20 Liberty (Type 2) Double Eagle - PCGS MS-61

@ARCO said:
    The $20 Liberty is the one series that I actually prefer the reverse. It reminds me of the age of Iron and steel at the turn of the century, like it is actually part of the design. The reverse elements actually look like wrought Iron ornamentation.

Stuart

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

@Stuart said:
    @Traz Your 1857-S PCGS-66 (CAC) $20 Gold Liberty (Type 1) Double Eagle is so beautiful that it deserves the following Enlarged Courtesy Photo Post!! 😁

IMO part of the beauty of a $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle is the Balanced combination of the Classic yet Elegant obverse design in its simplicity, complimented by the detailed Symbolic yet Complex reverse.

The above mentioned design features when executed on a 34 millimeter Artistic Canvas of nearly 1 Ounce of Gold exhibiting strong Cartwheel effect swirling Mint Luster has a Mesmerizing effect on me, and is always quite a pleasure for the senses to behold (both visual and tactile).

Your coin embodies my above description of a $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle and perfectly Exhibits those qualities!! 😁

Thanks for sharing her with us!👍

Thanks it is pretty bad ass in hand 😀

• Options
    edited May 26, 2019 10:29AM

@BillJones

Thanks for posting your beautiful 1857-S (Type 1) $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle!! 😁

IMO It doesn’t matter what type or brand of TPGS holder it’s in, that’s a Stunning Coin!!👍👍

@BillJones said:
    This 1857-S is among my favorites although it is in "the wrong holder."

Stuart

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 6:38PM

I really love the $20 Gold Liberty (Types 1, 2 & 3) Double Eagle images posted so far in this thread.

Let’s keep it going... 😁👍

Stuart

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

1northcoin---Very neat 1850 double eagle. B) Have you tried to cross it over to one of the first tier grading services?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 9:05AM

@PerryHall said:
    1northcoin---Very neat 1850 double eagle. B) Have you tried to cross it over to one of the first tier grading services?

Thanks.

To respond to your inquiry, I have never tried to cross any coin in my collection including some that would probably help me upgrade my position in the Registry Sets. Given its specific identification in the original Coin Facts in its present holder there has been in my view a disincentive to switch to another - especially since I am not trying to sell it.

When David Bowers had the coin to examine while working on his book on Double Eagles he may have had someone from NGC take a look at it but not for the purposes of crossing. FWIW his comment to me was almost identical to yours as he described it to me stating that it was "a most interesting coin" and later writing, "The Liberty Head Double Eagle is one of my favorite series. You certainly have a spectacular 1850!!!"

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

Not mine, but it is my favorite $20 Liberty!

• Options
    LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this piece raw from my local dealer who called me as soon as he got it in... so appreciative that he thought of me in this piece.

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Only one of mine that I locate at the moment....

• Options

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very recent purchase when gold was at $1250; higher grade, CAC, and a semi-numismatically interesting date.

• Options

Picked this one up last week.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BloodMan said:
    This coin is currently PCGS AU58 CAC Ex. Bass. It was previously sold by Stack’s in the R.L. Miles, Jr. Collection in October 1968 where it was described as “Brilliant Uncirculated”. The coin is listed in Akers’ Double Eagle auction analysis as UNC. Only 5 auction appearances of UNC coins were cited.

Thanks for including the backstory. Sure looks uncirculated as pictured.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file