Home U.S. Coin Forum

A little Help Please on this 1873 open 3 gold $2.5

rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 18, 2019 12:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The pictures aren't that great....I really NEED to get something to take some quality photos.
The more I look at this under 10x loupe I'm wondering if it's real.
I dont have another of this denomination to compare it to.
Anyone care to take a look and comment.
The letters liberty in the head band looks suspicious.
Shows gold on my metal detector and the specs are (good)
Diameter: 18 mm (17.92)
Mass / Weight: 4.18 grams (4.2)

The 2x2 flip is hand marked MS65 ( LOL )
Ain't anywhere near from what I see inhand. ( Of course, What do I know )

I paid $250, figured if it looked nice I would send it off to grade and or get authenticated.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Self-imposed angst, trying to get a great deal?

For comparison, Coin Facts:

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 1:13PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Self-imposed angst, trying to get a great deal?

For comparison, Coin Facts:

So your saying Stay The Course and send it.....IN.

I guess I'm just wondering how good the strikes were in 1873 :)
    I've got a few $10 pieces in the 1900's range that seem smoother.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic...judging from the pictures... Send it in and let us know...Cheers, RickO

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭

fWIW... Picked one of these at local pawn shop and loved it... Sent it to a dealer who liked it too... Coin was submitted with another grouping and the damn thing came back counterfeit! I will not post the dealer but it fooled us both... good luck man

J

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 4:05AM

I'm suspicious, but it could be the photos. Is it off center or is that a reflection? What's going on with the stars to the right of the date? Are they dinged or misshapen? Is the 3 in the date as rough as it looks on my phone? Also, the one looks misshapen. You've already mentioned the uneven "Liberty ".

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The centering just doesn't look right to my eye.

But, hey, I wear glasses

Frank

BHNC #203

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I'm suspicious, but it could be the photos. Is it off center or is that a reflection? What's going on with the stars to the right of the date? Are they dinged or misshapen? Is the 3 in the date as rough as it looks on my phone? Also, the one looks misshapen. You've already mentioned the uneven "Liberty ".

While it could just be the imaging, the close-up shot, in particular, makes me highly suspicious.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

While it could just be the imaging, the close-up shot, in particular, makes me highly suspicious.

Yes, but I hate to work from awkward photos shot through a loupe. But there is a lot to raise questions.

The surface also appears to be textured near the rim.

And I would be highly suspicious of a dealer who marked it MS65 and priced it at $250

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a low end unc
    250 sounds about right but no bargain.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give your nerves a break and avoid raw coins. I hope it works out for you.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me, but I know $2 1/2 Indians a lot better. Send her in and lets see!

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yes, but I hate to work from awkward photos shot through a loupe. But there is a lot to raise questions.

The surface also appears to be textured near the rim.

And I would be highly suspicious of a dealer who marked it MS65 and priced it at $250

It was bought from someone who bought it from the person who self graded it (probably not a dealer)
    It probably looks better in hand then the phone camera captures.

I'm working on getting it sent in, but after I let another person look it over at the next coin meeting.
    He expressed an interest in it for his type set and may be the next owner at $325.

@Smudge said:
    Give your nerves a break and avoid raw coins. I hope it works out for you.

The nerves are fine.
    I liked it and took a shot.

If it doesn't grade and comes back counterfeit I suppose I could send it back with the proof of it being not real.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file