Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What dimensions are most appealing for a hobby book - not a date-mint or catalog type?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

What book dimensions do members prefer in a soft or hard cover book? Here are three common sizes shown to relative scale.

These books will be in color with numerous illustrations and source notes – all of which become smaller as the book’s height and width shrink.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the 8-1/2 x 11, but for some texts with relatively little information the mid-size is better to keep it from being too thin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 1:32PM

6 X 9 is easy to hold and does not weigh a ton. I just picked up the DeWitt ./ Sullivan book, and that's its size.

"Coffee table books" look impressive, but they are a bear to read. I suppose if you have large photos to show, they are okay, but if you are talking about historical text and the like, they are undesirable.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bigger is better.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Double elephant folio - with hand colored plates, maybe ?

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭

I like the 6x9 unless there are large high resolution images. Then I would go for the 8 1/2 X 11 size. I do like those images especially went they clearly show the variations.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big with Big Profesional Quality Photos

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

If it's a reference book that I'd typically keep at home, I'd prefer the 8 1/2 x 11. If it's a book that I'd be inclined to take with me, say, to a coin show, 6 x 9 (with spiral binding) would be easier to carry around and flip through.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options

Probably not something one would take to a coin show unless there was time for reading about coins and currency rather than buying and selling.

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the larger size. I've seen smaller and just too many pages and lettering size just too small.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

6 x 9 inches.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm going to spend $50 or so on a nice coin book, I'd like a full size hardcover.

But if the price is substantially less and it's something that I'd use at shows, then smaller size like the Red Book is preferred.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 7x10 size is my choice.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

The large version. So aging eyes don't have to strain so much. Prevents bringing out the loupe to read as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

My preference would be 6 by 9 which is a nice bookshelf size.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.5 x 11

Go big or go home otherwise your tiny book gets cast out and off the book shelves. Maybe it could team up with other shorties and make book stops best case scenario

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 11:39PM

Your "Proof Coins 1936 - 1942" is 8½ X 11 and works well for font size and illustrations / photos. The 7 X 10 would work if the font was big along with the illustrations / photos. It would be easier to carry and hold while reading. So depending on the subject I'd go for either one.

The 6 X 9 seems more suited for a field guide. To fit all the info it would have to be thicker with out compromising the font size too much and the detail in bigger photos.

Soft cover is fine. You could offer a premium version hard back. Don't forget a PDF version for mobile use.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the 8.5 x 11 size for my reference material.... I have a couple in larger sizes and smaller ones..... Just got a few out and held/opened/carried them a bit..... the preference, for me, is the 8.5x11....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

the large size. I have limited shelf space for books so I will assume that bigger also equates to thinner.
    I'll also assume that photos and diagrams can be a bit larger and easier to see.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB

It would be great to have example text and pictures in the three sizes to compare.

For now, I lean toward the larger dimension book for any coin pics.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large, easy to read type, lots of high quality pictures, coffee table acceptable to fit in with periodicals like "Architectural Digest".

• Options
    edited May 15, 2019 9:25AM

Hemispherical - OK. Here's the illustration with a page from the book "From Mine to Mint" added for scale. The 6x9 version is directly from the printed book. For the other two the same text and illustration were converted to larger page sizes and print fonts. The type sizes are (L-R) 12 pt; 11 pt; and 10 pt - all Times New Roman. [The 6x9 sample is off center due to normal binding offset.]

Visual differences are more noticeable at actual size than in these proportional samples.

Notice in the 8-1/2 x 11 sample, the photo did not require as much enlargement as in the other two. This created empty space on the page which could be used for additional text or simply to increase image size. Basically, a larger page offers more options for text and photo layout.

• Options

@RogerB

Would the pictures loose any definition if expanded to the largest size on the 8.5x12?

I am liking the 12pt on the 8.5x12, but if the pictures looses any definition then the 7x10 works.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer 6x9:
    much less expensive to print
    easier to read than double or wide column text on 8.5 x11
    font size generally is not smaller on 6x9
    margins can be relatively more narrow on 6x9, the 8.5x11 has wide margins and wasted space
    I prefer end notes at the end of the book than footnotes - makes the text flow better
    images have improved so much that 6x9 provides excellent sharpness

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

6X9 for me...

• Options

Twelve point type in a 6x9-in book will require extra pages and considerable kerning of text and images.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Twelve point type in a 6x9-in book will require extra pages and considerable kerning of text and images.

That’s pretty big for the smaller size. I’ve read those Reader’s Digest with the large type. While it’s ok. Would not want it in a coin book. The sizes you previously posted sounded good. IMO.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I like the size of the "From Mine to Mint" book, 6x9 best -- I'll know better when I get my copy at the next Fairfax Coin Club meeting :)

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭

7x10 A compromise between text size, portability and storability.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

For stay at home book... go big. Larger font and larger illustrations for ole time eyes.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

8-1/2 x 11 is my preference.

• Options

Hmmm....maybe I'll try a "pan-dimensional" edition.

• Options

Awaiting the description of a “pan-dimensional” book. 📚📖

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm partial to 6x9. Good hand-feel.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

Absolutely 8 1/2 x 11.

With apologies for mentioning another author, one of my favorite non-reference books is Bevill's "Paper Republic: The Struggle for Money, Credit and Independence in the Republic of Texas" which, at 11x11, is even larger than this and rather thick at 350 pp. I cannot imagine how much thicker it would have been if printed in a smaller size.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 1:12PM

...or, what about rotating the dimensions by 90-degrees with binding on the left? This works well on some of David W Lange's books.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote for 8 1/2 x 11 as well.

• Options

@RogerB

You probably already know about the 2019 NLG competition, but, just in-case:

The Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG), a nonprofit organization composed of editors, authors, and writers who cover news and feature stories about all forms of money, medals, and tokens as collectibles, has announced its annual awards competition for 2019.

This year’s competition is being overseen by David Lange, the new NLG Awards Coordinator.

http://news.coinupdate.com/nlg-announces-awards-competition-for-2019/

• Options

Thanks! I don;t have anything that qualifies for this time. I expect John Danreuther's proof coin book will walk away (run away - actually) with the major awards this year.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.5x11 is too big. I like smaller books that are easy to hold for reading. For reference works (ie. variety attributions) large books are OK, since you just look up something once and put it back on the shelf.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Thanks! I don;t have anything that qualifies for this time. I expect John Danreuther's proof coin book will walk away (run away - actually) with the major awards this year.

Agree. Awesome piece of work by J.D. with years of work poured into it.

FYI, @Hemispherical, RogerB has won 5 or 6 NLG major awards. I lose track.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2019 9:20PM

....I think it's 6...2006, 2007, 2008, 2013, 2016, and 2018 Book-of-the-Year, plus a bunch of other more specialized titles and "Extraordinary Merit" books. Last year the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle book also was awarded "Best Specialty Book." The book "From Mine to Mint" also got a special award from Silver Dollar Collectors, and there was also the Wismer Award from the Society of Paper Money Collectors.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me down for 7x10 if it's mostly text with some photos. For a book that is mostly photos, the larger format would be better. 8.5x11 is a bit on the big side for a typical book IMO.

• Options

Thanks all.

This discussion has helped me decide to stay with 8-1/2 x 11-inch pages for the next three books: "Girl on the Silver Dollar" "Fads, Fakes & Foibles" and "Saudi Gold." I like the hand-feel and convenience of 6x9-in but for these subjects it does not offer large enough image scale for details to show clearly in color.

All three books are research, results and information rather than date-mint-list catalogs (like the recent Inco-Gould Private Pattern book).

(For those planning their own books, it can be rewarding to give ample consideration to using B&W versus color illustrations. My experience is that B&W can communicate more effectively at smaller sizes than color - but I have only very rudimentary graphic and layout skills. A professional graphic artist might have other options.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file