Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many dealers "Collect" coins within their inventory?

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 10, 2019 10:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I turned my whole personal collection into inventory awhile back.

That said, it seems that "My Collection" is larger than ever.

One example is when I had a personal collection, I had one eleven cent piece (cent struck on a struck dime). I now have 13 all different dates. Even tho they are all for sale, I have a nice "collection" of one of my favorite types of errors.

Here are a few .....

Comments

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most major dealers probably consider any collection of theirs to be inventory that just hasn't had the right offer yet.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 11c piece is one I ....wish.... I had kept. :'(

• Options

My inventory has become very fluid this year. I think I have sold 4 or 5 eleven cent pieces and have probably bought back just as many.

• Options

@topstuf said:

What year?

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@topstuf said:

What year?

IIRC, 1976. Looked a lot like yours. Got off CoinNet when I was in the shop.
    $175 :s

• Options

Was the coin dated 1976 or was that when you bought it?

I have not seen a 1976 eleven cent piece.

If I did, I would buy it instantly.

• Options

me too. :D

• Options
    edited May 10, 2019 11:05AM

oh so close ........ I just got in a 1975 :D

• Options

:#

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 4:58PM

Good question.

I wonder how many dealers put their inventory in Registry Sets or add their pedigree to their inventory? For PCGS Coin Facts, adding to the Registry would be good for the photos.

Hopefully more dealers can answer.

Call out to the following and others.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an article in the May Numismatist showing an interview from 1990 with prominent and long time dealer Harry Forman where he discussed this subject (he passed away in 2008).

Here's a quote:

Van Winkle: What do you personally collect?
    Forman: Pretty hard question. Why don’t you rephrase it and ask “what don’t you collect?” I’m into books. I collect numismatic books; I’ve got quite an extensive library. I collect old auction catalogs. I’m known as a collector and dealer in coin scales. I collect political memorabilia. I collect exposition memorabilia. I collect material up to the New York World’s Fair, but I go all the way back to 1853, when the first universal exposition was held. Postcards. I probably have one of the foremost ollec tions of postcards relating to numismatics in existence. I have never sold one and will even buy du plicates. I also specialize in broken bank notes from Philadelphia. I must have15 to 20 notes by now.

In his case he was a collector before he was a dealer, and I imagine most dealers were. Many dealers tend to not collect exactly what they sell, but things adjacent to it.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    I try not too hold too much out of so called business inventory because it kills the bottom line.

I held out the best for a few years, but I finnally decided I was a business and put it All In.

This really increased my bottom line, freed up capital to buy new inventory and expand.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Items in a dealer's inventory are part of his personal collection when he has the items priced so high that no one will buy them.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I became a dealer to help my collection along. If I buy something I want for my collection...that's where it goes. Been this way for 25 years and nothing has changed!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only collect... would have an anxiety attack if I had to sell any of my collection.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is for sale.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every once in a while I hold something back for myself, but I know that I can not do it very often because it effects the operation of the business. In a way my entire inventory is my collection and there is a revolving door where stuff sells and goes out and new stuff is bought and comes in. Although there is a chunk of the inventory that I would in no way bought for my own personal collection.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

I used to rent a table at a few smaller shows about fifteen years ago, and at the time, would display a few really nice pieces in my 'collection' that I really didn't have much interest in selling save for wind in the price or a nice trade or partial trade. Out of a few dozen shows, I had never sold a single one of my 'pets' to anyone other than dealers who either would move right on past or not bat an eye and buy or offer a fair trade off. I found-at least at that time, around 2000's-if they liked something, dealers would pay up or make a good offer while almost no one else would. Not hitting those shows is one thing I really miss Now that I live abroad. Never made the proverbial killing, but was able to pay expenses, have a great dinner afterwords, and usually make a few bucks doing something we enjoyed.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Everything is for sale.

True, but i consider my inventory to be my collection. Even if I hold a coin for a week or two, it is cool to have.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    I think most major dealers probably consider any collection of theirs to be inventory that just hasn't had the right offer yet.

I know dealers that hit a homerun, buying coins at a fraction of what they end up being worth, I ask them if they are selling, one says he put it in his private collection. Giving long times a chance to elapse changes the perception that the dealer took advantage of the seller.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 6:23AM

I have been working on Oregon half set but they keep selling.

Can’t afford collecting. I guess I could if state quarters from change.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

I have always wanted a super rare off center bison, so I just added one to my "collection" ..... :):D;)

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect Conder tokens and penny exonumia which I do not sell. I also have Indian and Lincoln cent collections and when I became a dealer, I made a "pact" with myself that I would only keep one of each date (aside from specific varieties and errors) and if I found another one I really liked, the old one would have to go. Even though it's sometimes hard to part with particular pieces, I have always kept to that pact.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2019 1:28PM

Jeff Shevlin and Mike Byers are the main dealers I think of having a collection because they treat some coins in their inventory as part of their collection, by having their pedigree on their inserts.

Having a registry set or some other way to showcase the collection can help too since it shows a desire to collect and maintain / complete a collection. I love it when @ThePennyLady posts a collection of coins assembled with a theme, with time and care.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 7:50AM

@ErrorsOnCoins just wanted to say I love your double denomination date set! Enjoy completing it :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 7:59AM

@ErrorsOnCoins
    If you have time, could you briefly explain how these '11 cent' pieces are made?
    Boston

I see that it is a cent struck on a struck dime, but how does that occur at the Mint?
    And are they found in circulation or smuggled out of the Mint?
    Thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 8:18AM

Boston. These coins are not smuggled out of the mint. The eleven cent piece is easy to explain.

The mint has huge coin bins where they dump the coins and planchets in. The bins sometimes have coins get stuck in them. So say a group of dimes is dumped into a bin and then dumped into a sorting machine. A dime or two may get stuck in the bin. Then say they need the bin to dump a bunch of cent planchets into the bin to bring to the cent presses for coining. When the cent planchets are dumped into the bin with the stuck dimes, the force, forces the stuck dimes to come loose with the cent planchets which go into the coining press.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thabnks @ErrorsOnCoins

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put all my PCGS inventory into Registry Sets on PCGS.com but it is all for sale at the right price. A lot of it I have listed on our website as well ... I seldom get an inquiry via PCGS although I know some customers do look at both sites.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't consider my inventory to be my collection - I keep 'em in
    different areas, too.

In the next few years, I plan on slabbing my personal 'accumulation'.

( have about 75 certified from 20+ years ago, and have hundreds
    more to write up when I don't feel so lazy)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2019 6:33PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    One example is when I had a personal collection, I had one eleven cent piece (cent struck on a struck dime). I now have 13 all different dates. Even tho they are all for sale, I have a nice "collection" of one of my favorite types of errors.

That's great! Can you post the other 9? It would be great to see them all together!

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 6:33PM

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

That's great! Can you post the other 9? It would be great to see them all together!

Would be nice to see different dates 11 cents together. :)

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    I don't consider my inventory to be my collection - I keep 'em in
    different areas, too.

In the next few years, I plan on slabbing my personal 'accumulation'.

( have about 75 certified from 20+ years ago, and have hundreds
    more to write up when I don't feel so lazy)

It's great that you're slabbing them. Can't wait to see the presentation of your personal collection. Make sure to get TrueViews :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Everything is for sale.

This.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 8:34PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Everything is for sale.

Some of my things aren't for sale, except maybe for life changing money.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2019 8:42AM

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

There are 5 eleven cent pieces posted above, I will see if I can locate the other 8 photos as they are in different folders.

• Options

• Options

1980 ....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file