Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Today is the 150th Anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

At 12:47PM on May 10, 1869 at Promontory Summit in Utah, the final spike was driven on the Transcontinental Railroad, one of the most transformative events in American History.

Crossing the country was possible now in 5 days, rather than the 6 months by wagon or ship.

Golden Spike National Historic Site, Utah

Post a train!

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refurbished gigantic 'Big Boy' locomotive fires up crowds in the West
    It's headed to Utah for Transcontinental Railroad's 150th anniversary

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/09/refurbished-big-boy-locomotive-fires-up-crowds-in-the-west/

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@Zoins said:
    I was looking for information on the Trans-Continental Railroad to post and ran across the following article that refers to Chinese immigrants being 90% of the workforce that built the railroad from California to Utah according to a Stanford University professor. I never learned it was this many Chinese in my American History classes. A number of the Chinese immigrants that worked on the railroad first came to the US to mine gold during the California Gold Rush.

The best book I've read on the building of the Transcontinental Railroad is Nothing Like It In The World, by Stephen E. Ambrose. It's an excellent read, if a bit long.

It was far easier to hire the Chinese who worked in gangs, since they only had to deal with the leader rather than individuals.

Of course, with the import of so many Chinese to do the work (plus the work ethic the Chinese had), it eventually lead to the 1882 Chinese Exclusionary Act.

Want to read about a raw deal, the Exclusionary Act was it...

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell on Wheels .....Netflix

• Options

@topstuf said:

Never saw this. Any good?

I assume it's a bit like Deadwood? (AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MOVIE!!!!) Somewhat based on historical people and events, but a fictional series?

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the Stephen Ambrose book and watched Hell on Wheels. Both were excellent. The series, Hell on Wheels was loosely based on real events, mostly on the exploits of Doc. Durant. The main character was a Confederate who was escaping Eastern justice for murder. He seemed to be everywhere something was happening. He even developed a friendship with then-President hopeful, General Grant during the episodes that mirrored events of 1868.

It is amazing to think of the Central Pacific's challenges. Building from Sacramento through the Sierra Nevada, they had to ship all the rails, trains and supplies though Panama. And then cut a path though the mountains. The Union Pacific had to deal with the vast expanse of open prairie. The challenges were immense.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@topstuf said:

Never saw this. Any good?

I assume it's a bit like Deadwood? (AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MOVIE!!!!) Somewhat based on historical people and events, but a fictional series?

Highly watchable. Historically....well.... :D But it's a good western if you like that. :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would think that by now some political figure would have used this as an opportunity to Rally the countries into the post war era of Love and Bring the loved ones home to bury in a national memorial. Great write up.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Refurbished gigantic 'Big Boy' locomotive fires up crowds in the West
    It's headed to Utah for Transcontinental Railroad's 150th anniversary

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/09/refurbished-big-boy-locomotive-fires-up-crowds-in-the-west/

Love the history here. I used to live in NY and we had a few diners made out of the train cars. One I used
    to go to as a child was called Bob's Diner located in middle of Brewster,NY (home town of Marlo Thomas aka That girl).

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

If you have not seen Hell on Wheels... binge it!!! Its a great show, and cant wait for Deadwood the movie either. The series should have been longer!

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    At 12:47PM on May 10, 1869 at Promontory Summit in Utah, the final spike was driven on the Transcontinental Railroad, one of the most transformative events in American History.

Crossing the country was possible now in 5 days, rather than the 6 months by wagon or ship.

Well, the six months trip by boat around Cape Horn was long gone thanks to the Panama railroad and ships like the Central America.

One interesting thing I got from "Nothing Like It In The World" was that as the two railroads grew closer together you could travel westward from Omaha to the end of the line and catch a stagecoach there to the eastern end of the other line. Still took a while, but it was a way for the railroads to sell tickets.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The exploration, development, settling and growth of the United States is one of the world's great stories...Railroads were an important part of this story, and in Europe too.... Even today, the railroads are a critical part of commerce. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @illini420 posted above, there is a medal commemorating the joining of the East and West portions. Shown on the Twitter post a little while ago.

@usmint 47m minutes ago
    The U.S. Mint commemorated the completion of the Transcontinental railroad on May 10, 1869, with the Pacific Railroad medal. The artistry is the work of engraver William Barber, who created the dies for both the reverse (pictured here) and obverse.

Listed as a So-Called Dollar HK12, 12a & 12b
    https://so-calleddollars.com/Events/Pacific_Railway_Completion.html

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 9:02AM

@ricko said:
    The exploration, development, settling and growth of the United States is one of the world's great stories...Railroads were an important part of this story, and in Europe too.... Even today, the railroads are a critical part of commerce. Cheers, RickO

The Transcontinental Railroad was an amazing accomplishment. Even the Erie Canal and the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System were / are great innovations.

One of the sobering things about all these accomplishments is that the US was a pioneer then, but today, other countries have much faster and more modern railroads than the US. California just cancelled the high speed rail system to connect San Francisco to LA. Hopefully, the US will see more innovation soon. I'm excited to see Elon Musk's family of companies drive the US into the future with the Boring Company, Space X and Tesla.

We should be creating medals to celebrate our new innovations. I was thinking about commissioning a medal for the 10th anniversary of the iPhone a while back ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... I agree, while the U.S. was pioneering in many areas of major accomplishments, now the innovation seems to be mainly technological - i.e. software, systems and micro-electronics. Meanwhile, our infrastructure is aging, and not well. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Zoins said:
    We should be creating medals for new innovations. I was thinking about commissioning a medal for the 10th anniversary of the iPhone a while back ;)

If you haven't been paying attention, there's a 56-coin series of Innobucks coming your way... :s

Urg.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

I'm getting a misconfiguration error. Expired certificate?

• Options
    edited May 10, 2019 9:14AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Zoins said:
    We should be creating medals for new innovations. I was thinking about commissioning a medal for the 10th anniversary of the iPhone a while back ;)

If you haven't been paying attention, there's a 56-coin series of Innobucks coming your way... :s

Urg.

Those celebrate events that are way too old for what I'm thinking of. The Delaware dollar is highlighting and event from 1843 while the Pennsylvania dollar is highlighting an event from 1953. New Jersey is highlighting the Edison lightbulb at the turn of the 20th century and Georgia wins by highlighting an invention from the 1730s, before the US was a country.

The US Mint President Grant / "Every Mountain Shall Be Made Low" medal by Barber was issued in 1869, the same year the Transcontinental Railroad was completed. In the past, the US used to be amazed by all the innovation that was being created every year. Now, it seems we're less amazed with what we're doing now than what we did in the past.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 9:31AM

Philadelphia Mint 100th Anniversary silver medal designed by Frank Gasparro 4.76 ounces.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Kudbegud said:

I got that too but know this site well and it is not a threat....just an expired httpS certificate. I looked but can't find a way to alert them. No email shown. I clicked to continue anyway and got the page in my link.

If anybody knows how to contact them please do or post it here or in a PM.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Kudbegud said:

I got that too but know this site well and it is not a threat....just an expired httpS certificate. I looked but can't find a way to alert them. No email shown. I clicked to continue anyway and got the page in my link.

If anybody knows how to contact them please do or post it here or in a PM.

At the bottom of the so-called dollar webpage:

“This site is supported by the publisher and copyright holder of So-Called Dollars by Hibler and Kappen, The Coin & Currency Institute.”

The link in the above text goes to:

http://www.coin-currency.com/

Snapshot of the webpage and contact info to the right.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Kudbegud said:

Calling @jonathanb .

The So-CalledDollars.com website has an invalid cert. Can someone look into fixing that?

Thanks!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that last spike really Gold and if so, is it still there?

• Options

Spike was 17.6 kt or 73% gold-copper alloy, 14.03 troy oz. dropped into a predrilled special California laurel wood tie, tapped in with silver hammer. Immediately removed and tie and spike replaced with real ones and ceremonial ones to San Francisco museum. Tie was destroyed in 1906 California earthquake fire.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

that was quite the feat at that time. fwiw

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

That gold spike was there about as long as a slabbed 1916-D FB Mercury in MS67 would last on eBay for $1,000.

• Options

Thanks @Hemispherical , I had to scroll over to the right to see that. I sent an email.

Thanks @Zoins for your post calling @jonathanb to look into it. Hope he sees it.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That gold spike was there about as long as a slabbed 1916-D FB Mercury in MS67 would last on eBay for $1,000.

I should have put the wink emoji on my question. B)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Spike was 17.6 kt or 73% gold-copper alloy, 14.03 troy oz. dropped into a predrilled special California laurel wood tie, tapped in with silver hammer.

Yeah, the event that never happened.... Leland Stanford, president of the Central Pacific was to drive the last (ceremonial) spike. The hammer and the spike were wired to the telegraph lines, and when struck, would signal the world the feat had been done.

"Strobridge and Reed put the last tie, the laurel tie, in place. Durant drove in his spike--or rather tapped in, for it was partially seated in the predrilled hole already. Then Stanford. When he tapped the Golden Spike in, he would signal the waiting country. Reporters compared what was coming to the first shot fired at Lexington. One said the blow would be heard "the fartherest of any by mortal man".
    Stanford swung and missed, striking only the rail. It made no difference. The telegraph operator closed the circuit and the wire went out, "DONE!"

Ooops.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

The best book I've read on the building of the Transcontinental Railroad is Nothing Like It In The World, by Stephen E. Ambrose. It's an excellent read, if a bit long.

I agree. I found it to be a totally fascinating read.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie Thank you for reminding us of this important part of US history!

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS went all out! Some of the things you can order from the PO and they deliver... :D

https://store.usps.com/store/product/stamp-collectors/transcontinental-railroad-stamp-ceremony-memento-S_570434

—————

If you need shipping supplies you can also order them and have them delivered. Most are free but some are not, check the prices:

https://store.usps.com/store/results/shipping-supplies/_/N-7d0v8v

• Options

The medal looks like the transcontinental toy train to me. >:)

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Just
    picked these up this morning

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 2:03PM

Same here.

As a bonus, the gold color fame is-actually reflective!

(Wishes they make an oversized picture of these stamp)

This commemorative block of stamps seem to worth more than the 55 cents FV and a keeper to me.

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    Same here.

As a bonus, the gold color fame is-actually reflective!

(Wishes they make an oversized picture of these stamp)

Be careful what you ask for...

Transcontinental Railroad Golden Spike Print 11"x17"

Transcontinental Railroad Jupiter Train Print 11"x17"

Transcontinental Railroad No. 119 Train Print 11" x 17"

• Options
    edited May 15, 2019 11:32PM

Aaaannnddd crap.

Even though I've sworn off USPS products, every once in a while I get sucked in. I picked up one of these...

USPS Transcontinental Railroad Box Set

Here's a better description, as well as some factoids about the stamps...
    linns:USPS creates Railroad proofs, book to sell as boxed set

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a few sheets....they are very attractive.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    I bought a few sheets....they are very attractive.

+1

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Yes these are very nice and I got two sheets and awesome.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love railroads....don't collect anything to do with them but love to see them run. My Great Great Uncle, George Blakeslee of Goldfied, was a jeweler and made the Silver Spike that was the ceremonial spike used in 1904 in the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad. I have no idea where the spike is today. I do have a miniature silver tie tack spike that he made as a souvenir. George also made silver spoons that are very collectable today.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file