Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mexico: 8-reales "Pillar dollar", 1761-Mo-MM, Calico-888, PCGS AU50, toned

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 8, 2019 1:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

(Yes, a World coin, but one listed in the Redbook, after all.)

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/30410618

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin LordM.... Good to see you posting here... Cheers, RickO

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth it just for the LM "mystery goodies" :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Wrong forum

I will allow it on a technicality because of the Redbook coin, which Ken Bressett still owns BTW. I asked him once if he would like to sell it, but his son Phil has dibs on it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 8:24AM

@CaptHenway said:

@Boosibri said:
    Wrong forum

I will allow it on a technicality because of the Redbook coin, which Ken Bressett still owns BTW. I asked him once if he would like to sell it, but his son Phil has dibs on it.

I think @Boosibri comment has more to do with this being a BST post, since he's championed numerous US registry sets containing world coins circulated in colonies and early US.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a U.s. forum discussion because Spanish reals were the first U. S. Dollars 💵

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 8:48AM

This is a cool escudo that I have relating to Spanish empire coins 👍

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lord M is back!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like he is trying to sell the coin hence just noting that he potentially meant to move this to the BST

Ah. Didn’t even notice that part. Was thinking along the lines of the 1776 Guinea thread.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jgennjgenn Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 6:08PM

@CaptHenway said:
    And there is a historical significance to a 1761 Pillar Dollar that significantly changed American Numismatics. Note that on the reverse the word HISPAN is split by a small cross atop the crown between the "H" and the "I." Coins of 1760 and earlier have the cross between the "I" and the "S." This relatively minor design change resulted from new design hubs being sent out from Spain, and lasted until the end of the Pillar coinage.

Hubs, in the modern sense, where not used until well after the colonial period. Perhaps you meant to say matrix block, however the matrix block did not dictate the position of the cross between the letters of the legend. Separate punches were created for individual letters and design elements, so it was up to the die setters to determine how things were arranged. By 1763 the Mexico City die setters had standardized on positioning the cross between H and I.

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    And there is a historical significance to a 1761 Pillar Dollar that significantly changed American Numismatics. Note that on the reverse the word HISPAN is split by a small cross atop the crown between the "H" and the "I." Coins of 1760 and earlier have the cross between the "I" and the "S." This relatively minor design change resulted from new design hubs being sent out from Spain, and lasted until the end of the Pillar coinage.

One of John J. Ford's more notorious fabrications were the "HISP ET ID" gold bars, alleged to have been lost on a sunken galleon in the early 1740's. These concoctions were stamped with a counterfeit Pillar Dollar reverse die, apparently to make them more interesting to coin collectors, and the die showed the 1761-on type. A scholar in Mexican numismatics used this 1761 design change to prove that the "HISP ET ID" bars were anachronistic fakes, and thus began the downfall of Ford's reputation.

Ford still has quite a large reputation 😉

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • jgennjgenn Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 6:25PM

Example matrix and punch from Bogotá (courtesy of jfransch).

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 1:55AM

D'oh!

Oh, geez, I'm so sorry I posted this on the US Coins when I thought I was posting it on the BST!

But I'm happy to see it sparked some discussion. I'll edit out the for sale info in the OP (it is pending sale now anyway).

:/

< * sheepish expression * >

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Lord M! Ten lashes with a wet Escudo!

@CaptHenway said:
    Lord M! Ten lashes with a wet Escudo!

I'll take that punishment, particularly if there are ten escudos involved! (You have to use a fresh one for each lash.)

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!!

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

One of John J. Ford's more notorious fabrications were the "HISP ET ID" gold bars, alleged to have been lost on a sunken galleon in the early 1740's. These concoctions were stamped with a counterfeit Pillar Dollar reverse die, apparently to make them more interesting to coin collectors, and the die showed the 1761-on type. A scholar in Mexican numismatics used this 1761 design change to prove that the "HISP ET ID" bars were anachronistic fakes, and thus began the downfall of Ford's reputation.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

@Eagleeye - If I post any more accidental spam, you may bonk me over the head with that thing. I will die happy.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @lordmarcovan will you make change for my 2 Escudo?
    That would be 4 halvsies like yours. ;)

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

I'll give you 16 Reales For it ;)

@topstuf said:

Oohhh... crustilicious!

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan you still have this 8R? Willing to sell or trade?

@MattTheRiley said:
    @lordmarcovan you still have this 8R? Willing to sell or trade?

Sorry, it's gone. Sold it on BST.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file