Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 $2.50 quarter eagle

Hey guys, I picked up a quarter eagle recently for under 200 and was curious what you guys think about its condition,, I know grading these is a nightmare, I got it from a. Local dealer who Xrf confirmed its purity and weight and yada yada

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was on a charm bracelet at one time.

• Options
    SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

Jus curious, what makes you say that?? Cause I checked the whole rim and it's super clean

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 8:27AM

XF Possible Ex Jewelry.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the possibility that it was former jewelry... the chatter covering both surfaces is wear indicative of that type of environment. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Insider2 said:

Jus curious, what makes you say that?? Cause I checked the whole rim and it's super clean

Two things:

1. Already mentioned by ricko: "...the chatter (typical of "jewelry damage") covering both surfaces is wear indicative of that type of environment.
    2. See if you can guess. Once you learn what to look for (besides a mount removed from the edge or the chatter) it takes seconds to see! B)
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a not-nice coin at a fair price. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 9:15AM

@Insider2 PM sent reference your message.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Insider2 said:

Two things:

1. Already mentioned by ricko: "...the chatter (typical of "jewelry damage") covering both surfaces is wear indicative of that type of environment.
    2. See if you can guess. Once you learn what to look for (besides a mount removed from the edge or the chatter) it takes seconds to see! B)

@SilverEagle420

Here’s a hint.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be blunt .. it is a dog even if it is real. Far too many surface marks for the grade. Someone else's problem coin is now your problem coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is usually a reason for pre-33 gold to be offered for sale raw. You’ve got $154 in gold value at least.

• Options

Agree that it was probably in a bezel but I don't see any marks on the coin from a bezel.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 9:45AM

Harshly cleaned, but for the price, you did ok. These hardly ever go for under $200 on ebay.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Agree that it was probably in a bezel but I don't see any marks on the coin from a bezel.

The punch mark on the eagle’s shoulder might have something to do with jewelry use.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

The way you tell is the edge of the coin (covered by the lip of the bezel) will have a different surface color (unless cleaned after removed but most don't bother as the coin is usually considered as "melt") and lack the heavy contact marks on the rest of the coin.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@PerryHall said:

The punch mark on the eagle’s shoulder might have something to do with jewelry use.

I saw that and assumed it was just damage.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please -- for your sanity and that of members who are trying to help -- buy one of the illustrated coin grading guides and study it.

;)

• Options

Well I've already had an offer for 300 on Ebay

• Options

@SilverEagle420 said:

One person’s trash is another’s treasure... what are you waiting for?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

Jump on that offer and hope it doesn't end up as a SNAD when the buyer receives it.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Called it a high end AU in great condition on ebay.... smh. After we all said it was cleaned/polished/possibly jewelry.

• Options

It does have a make an offer option. :D

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got to be kidding.

A return or two will fix this problem. Once you eat round trip shipping and 3% paypal fees a few times, you'll learn.

Did you think the guy who sold it to you was a moron?

• Options

• Options
    edited April 30, 2019 4:32PM

You mean for $350 I can get a slabbed unc $2.50 from Stacks rather than a "high end AU" on ebay?

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Here is what "current jewelry" looks like before it becomes "ex-jewelry"

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd prefer 10 or 12 more shares of CLCT stock than guess the grade. But for the price , I'd say it's "AG"

• Options

Like I said to whoever messaged me I was at work all day and made this post here after I made the listing,, I revised my listing and theres always been a make offer option,, I didnt accept the offer I had earlier because of what everyone here said,, I revised it and will likely never be able to defend myself here, so make of it what you will I suppose, and just like everyone here says, it's hard to judge based on a pic, I've never had a return nor a forced return,,

I likely will delete my account here now,, not much sense in asking opinions of people who dislike me

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:
    Like I said to whoever messaged me I was at work all day and made this post here after I made the listing,, I revised my listing and theres always been a make offer option,, I didnt accept the offer I had earlier because of what everyone here said,, I revised it and will likely never be able to defend myself here, so make of it what you will I suppose, and just like everyone here says, it's hard to judge based on a pic, I've never had a return nor a forced return,,

I likely will delete my account here now,, not much sense in asking opinions of people who dislike me

I didn't comment on the OP, but reading this makes me want to jump in. I recommend you don't delete your account.

You are saying you posted it on eBay, giving a strong opinion on condition, and afterwards came here looking for opinions on the condition. Just reverse those two next time and you are good.

• Options

Don't delete your account. Just edit the description to be more honest. Say it has been cleaned, and you will still probably get $260+ for it if you are patient.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't comment on the OP, but reading this makes me want to jump in. I recommend you don't delete your account.

You are saying you posted it on eBay, giving a strong opinion on condition, and afterwards came here looking for opinions on the condition. Just reverse those two next time and you are good.

I agree. Maybe we came off as a little harsh. We didn't mean to accuse you of anything nefarious.

In fact, this might be instructive for US when we see other eBay listings and want to jump to conclusions. Sometimes it is just an honest mistake from a seller who doesn't know coins that well.

• Options

@SilverEagle420 said:

Stick around. You can learn a lot by participating here. We all can.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did the right thing.

• Options

Well honestly I couldnt figure out how to delete,, I really wasnt trying to start sh*t, next time I will I will try to take into better account,,, in hand I do not see what you guys were referring to and idk if it my camera accenting alot that is otherwise hard to see, I try not to mess with brightness and filters, to make the coins look better,

• Options
    edited May 1, 2019 6:35AM

@SilverEagle420

Recommend you stay. Best place to get an honest unfiltered opinion on coins (and almost everything else ;) ).

Learn and move forward.

It’s those who don’t or refuse that have issues.

Enjoy the the hobby!

The dealer part is different and is not included in the “enjoy.” :D

Edit: Typos. Turned off auto-correct. This’ll be fun. ;)

• Options

Lol also in my own defense I did list on the disrcriptions that is it scratched/marked up on the surfaces, in both listings, I was deff not trying to be shady, i say the pcgs list for em and gave it too much credit lol

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW... When I have a coin that I think there may be a question or problem I try to avoid mentioning too much in the description. I will add lots of photos and then put something like "photos are item description" or "condition unknown please use photos to help you decide" etc. Any time you give an opinion on grade such as AU or MS you leave yourself open to problems from someone who sees things differently than you do. Even a coin graded by our host will get many different opinions on grade. Many times items will sell just as well or even better with very little item description. Some items require a better item description to describe function or rarity and will not do as well without it. If you put AU or MS in a listing it gives a buyer a chance to return it as "item not as described" if your photos are the item description it is hard to say it is not as described unless your photos are poor quality.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Options
    edited May 1, 2019 12:41PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    FWIW... When I have a coin that I think there may be a question or problem I try to avoid mentioning too much in the description. I will add lots of photos and then put something like "photos are item description" or "condition unknown please use photos to help you decide" etc. Any time you give an opinion on grade such as AU or MS you leave yourself open to problems from someone who sees things differently than you do. Even a coin graded by our host will get many different opinions on grade. Many times items will sell just as well or even better with very little item description. Some items require a better item description to describe function or rarity and will not do as well without it. If you put AU or MS in a listing it gives a buyer a chance to return it as "item not as described" if your photos are the item description it is hard to say it is not as described unless your photos are poor quality.

I think the above points are very well made.

Edited to add: However, if a seller thinks or knows a coin has a problem that’s not readily apparent in the images, I believe strongly that it should be mentioned.

• Options
    donjaludonjalu Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

Thanks all,
    I have now learned what I have:.....melt.

• Options

@donjalu said:
    Thanks all,

I'm obviously not the one to get the opinion, but even as ex jewelry those are still worth more than melt for sure, obviously not ms but deff better than a cull.

• Options

Also if that 1913 Indian is in a gold ring they do sell for quite alot

• Options

@donjalu @SilverEagle420

It all comes down to how much damage (any cleaning) and wear the coins received while being made into jewelry, while being used as jewelry, and when removed from whatever jewelry piece it was made into.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

In all fairness, if you do NOT specifically mention problems, you are still open to a SNAD because photos alone aren't good enough. Especially if you consider the number of people who are only looking on their phone screen.

Avoiding mentioning of a known problem is a form of deceit.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2019 12:31PM

@SilverEagle420 said:

@donjalu said:
    Thanks all,

I'm obviously not the one to get the opinion, but even as ex jewelry those are still worth more than melt for sure, obviously not ms but deff better than a cull.

If you look at the table provided earlier, you'll note they really don't sell for more than a few bucks over melt except for the $2.5s and even then it is going to depend on how ugly they are.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@donjalu said:
    Thanks all,

If you look at the table provided earlier, you'll note they really don't sell for more than a few bucks over melt except for the $2.5s and even then it is going to depend on how ugly they are.

My only issue with that lost it does not account for years, montages, yada, I know you said not much but still more than melt,,

• Options

@jmlanzaf "Avoiding mentioning of a known problem is a form of deceit."

I hope when you are quoting me on this you are not implying anything. I was trying to convey a simple idea and didn't want to go into every possible variable. I have been on ebay for over 16 years and have never had a grey or red dot.

Just so you know, I had a bad buyer on a listing with photos only stating the photos are the item description. The buyer opened a SNAD claim, ebay found in my favor and said I didn't have to take the return and they would block any feedback he tried to leave. I was able to prove he got the item photoed and he confirmed that with the ebay CSR. I ended up letting him return it as long as he paid return shipping, he was given a full refund and then placed on my BBL list. The listing was a no returns listing and I took it back anyway. Please be careful where you spread salt.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @jmlanzaf "Avoiding mentioning of a known problem is a form of deceit."

I hope when you are quoting me on this you are not implying anything. I was trying to convey a simple idea and didn't want to go into every possible variable. I have been on ebay for over 16 years and have never had a grey or red dot.

Just so you know, I had a bad buyer on a listing with photos only stating the photos are the item description. The buyer opened a SNAD claim, ebay found in my favor and said I didn't have to take the return and they would block any feedback he tried to leave. I was able to prove he got the item photoed and he confirmed that with the ebay CSR. I ended up letting him return it as long as he paid return shipping, he was given a full refund and then placed on my BBL list. The listing was a no returns listing and I took it back anyway. Please be careful where you spread salt.

I'm not implying anything directly about you. But this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board and elsewhere. We've even had the argument over whether it is ethical to NOT reveal failure to CAC. But I think the vast majority of us would agree that if, for example, you had an ex-jewelry piece or a cleaned coin and didn't describe it as such, it is a form of deceit. Now, not as bad as taking dark photos and calling it GEM BU, but how would you feel about Heritage or Stack's if they had a raw details coin an told you to just look at the pictures.

• Options

"I'm not implying anything directly about you."

Thank you for clearing that up. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file