Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would worth grading this 1954 P Lincoln Cent? I will appreciate your help,thanks

SrivanoSrivano Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited October 22, 2022 2:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Would worth grading this 1954 P Lincoln Cent?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Srivano Welcome to the forums.

Grading fees will cost over $50. Unless the cent can grade perfect
    or near perfect it would not be worth it.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately they do not look high enough grade.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Looks like it was hit with some 100 grit.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't grade, cleaned obverse.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't necessarily see it as cleaned, but I do see what I consider to be a ton of die polish. Regardless, I also see no reason to pay to have that coin certified.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote no for slabbing as well but just wanted to say that you take a pretty decent coin pic.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 7:02PM

It's a nice 54, hard to find without spots but most likely a 65. A 66 Red used to be $400 coin and it was low pop, but you can get one now for much much less. The story I heard was a flood in the Philadelphia mint made these prone to spotting. 1948- 1954 P mint coins are tough to find without spots. I scoop up all the nice ones I can find for $5-$20 in dealers binders, cheap fun.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

1954 Lincolns were not made very well. I agree that it wouldn't be worth the fee to get it encapsulated. Lot of die polish on that one. It might even have been re-worked.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 7:01PM

No. Obverse cleaned. Reverse cleaned.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not high enough quality to warrant the cost of grading. It looks like die polish lines to me, like Tom said.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

Great pictures.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coins almost have to float on water to be worth grading. No, this one is not good enough. I have the impression that the reverse may have been cleaned.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

save your money

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Srivano ...Welcome aboard... Very nice pictures... The coin shows die polish lines and some normal handling scratches... Not worth grading, but a nice album coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited October 22, 2022 2:59PM

Here I have another 1954 Lincoln Cent as candidate:) worth to grade???

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't submit that one either. PCGS Photograde will give you an idea of what they are looking for in a particular grade.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2019 12:31PM

The cent would need to grade 66 or more for it to be cost effective.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1954-1c-rd/2815

Example of a MS66+ RD

Example of a MS66 RB

• Options

I select my coins base on Heritage Auctions....

• Options

HA doesn’t grade coins. As @ChangeInHistory mentioned use Photograde to get an idea of the grade:

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

• Options
    edited October 22, 2022 2:59PM

Next to a Beauty, the color are very nice:)!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Srivano said:
    Here I have another 1954 Lincoln Cent as candidate:) worth to grade??? I know all the resources to do the research but I like the opinion of the knowledge Community and I appreciate it .... I have 8 vouchers 😜😊😉😎

Remember that one way or another, you paid for those vouchers. If you have to send something just to use the vouchers, it might be a sign that it wasn't worth it to get them. That doesn't help now, but it may be something to consider when the opportunity next presents itself to buy vouchers.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

Since 1954 Lincoln Cent is hard to find,
    this example to me is pretty 😊😜

• Options

I have dozens of rolls that I been buying for over two years ... that I been searching...

• Options

1954 cent.

65 years old and a mintage of 71.6 million lowest of the three cents that year (not including the PFs).

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Srivano, If you like it that's all that matters. You've already got the vouchers so why not?

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

@airplanenut said:

@Srivano said:
    Here I have another 1954 Lincoln Cent as candidate:) worth to grade??? I know all the resources to do the research but I like the opinion of the knowledge Community and I appreciate it .... I have 8 vouchers 😜😊😉😎

Remember that one way or another, you paid for those vouchers. If you have to send something just to use the vouchers, it might be a sign that it wasn't worth it to get them. That doesn't help now, but it may be something to consider when the opportunity next presents itself to buy vouchers.

Really.....

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you have a voucher to fill and you are looking for the best 54-P to submit, just to see what happens, i would go with the second one you posted.

• Options

If you really want to have the cent graded ensure you follow the instructions carefully.

https://www.pcgs.com/whatiscoingrading

https://www.pcgs.com/submissionguide

Enjoy the hobby!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file