Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Before and After Conservation/Preservation Peace Dollars

davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe folks should need a license to buy dip. Nevertheless, it's his coin and he didn't ruin it.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on what the OP prefers - it's his/her collection.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have started with MS70 first, it isn't so aggressive and only removes the "crud". The coin is far from ruined IMO.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it is the current owner's to do with as he/she desires, but to me, I FAR prefer the before. I would do something non-destructive to get the crud off the reverse.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch... not a fan. Looks like it's just another dipped & stripped High Relief Peace now.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m confused, what was wrong with the coin before and where did it need conservation? IMHO it looked better “pre-conservation”

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll just apologize in advance. From the images it looks as if you would have been better served by selecting a different coin that met your expectations which would have avoided the after. I am not trying to be critical, but dipping this coin was not going to transform it into something better.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davids5104

What’s the grade?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked the original look. Course I did not see it in person. ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

It is a 62.

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original look was nice but I dont think the coin is ruined now.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 6:11AM

I didn't see anything wrong with it and liked it before conservation. It had a nice color and glow.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't like it now either. Plus, I don't know what youo paid to have that done, but that would have been a simple dip at home and could have saved you a ton. In any event it got no character now.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looked better before. The dipping just seems to emphasize the poor detail in the hair and in the eagle.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    It looked better before. The dipping just seems to emphasize the poor detail in the hair and in the eagle.

I agree about the hair detail. I think the strike along the hair is easier to see, which does not help for this coin.
    I have only ever used MS70 on raw coins of limited value, that the extent of where my comfort is.

Roosevelt Registry

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭

You should try to collect an orginal toned set of Peace Dollars with eye appeal to appreciate the before coin.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many buyers would prefer the conserved piece.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

I posted this in another discussion where the OP asked if he should dip his coin. My answer: NO.

That's because as it stands (toned) there are two types of collectors who will want it: Those who like toning for whatever the reason and those who hate it. Once you dip it you are eliminating the potential buyers who like toning.

If you left it alone, the toning guys will want it and the other group will want it so they can dip it!

That's what I would have told the OP before he dipped it. The reverse was ugly anyway. I would have conserved the coin and NOT stripped it.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

That's what I would have told the OP before he dipped it. The reverse was ugly anyway. I would have conserved the coin and NOT stripped it.

How do you conserve a coin without stripping it?

• Options

Actual conservation involves removing harmful or unattractive things from a coin's surface. So conservation and proper dipping is a form of cleaning. When done correctly, conservation is done in steps until the desired result is reached. Occasionally, a coin will "blow up" anyway. :(

If I had that coin, everyone except Ricko and the "bright white" guys would have loved the before and after.
    Unfortunately, I've been advised not to get specific about conservation techniques on CU. What I would have done should be no secret to the folks doing conservation at PCGS! For example, perhaps acetone mentioned above is a good start and will not strip the coin.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not sell the before coin and buy one of the already dipped out widgets vs dipping this one?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of having mine cleaned but it's only an XF so not worth doing.

;):D

• Options

@topstuf said:
    I was thinking of having mine cleaned but it's only an XF so not worth doing.

;):D

IMO, it appears your coin has lots of hairlines under the toning. Looks AU-50 and was probably net graded to XF.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough crowd! >:)

I'll think twice before I post a 21 peace here. :D

• Options
    edited April 28, 2019 1:52PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Tough crowd! >:)

I'll think twice before I post a 21 peace here. :D

LOL. It is what it is and I only have an image. I THINK I see diagonal lines over the eagle's back and the surface under "trust" looks funky. It is a nice coin for an XF.

• Options
    Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I like the new look better. With this design it makes it pop more. There’s a reason why so many 21’s are dipped.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to vote for the preconserved look, BUT hey for $50 both will do.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

The conservation magnifies all the flaws, weak strike, nicks, etc. I might have bought the before at the right price but never the after.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

The latter photo (dipped coin ) doesn't appear to be conservation , or preservation. To me it's ruination. .

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

i do prefer the before coin myself. we are the minority in the coin industry. the VERY VAST majority just like blast white.

I agree with @insider that had he not done it, two groups would want the coin. HOWEVER, with the coin less ugly-toned, it will get more money when sold. Yes, less people (by some not so marginal amount) will like it, but those people will pay more for it in its present condition.

Ive seen exactly this happen so. many. times.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I posted this in another discussion where the OP asked if he should dip his coin. My answer: NO.

That's because as it stands (toned) there are two types of collectors who will want it: Those who like toning for whatever the reason and those who hate it. Once you dip it you are eliminating the potential buyers who like toning.

If you left it alone, the toning guys will want it and the other group will want it so they can dip it!

The keyword here is "stripped". Dipping does that.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am torn here. I prefer originality, but brown-toned 1921s are a dime-a-dozen.

It's somewhat refreshing to see a 1921 look the same way it came off the press.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:
    I am torn here. I prefer originality, but brown-toned 1921s are a dime-a-dozen.

It's somewhat refreshing to see a 1921 look the same way it came off the press.

When this particular coin came off the press it likely had nicer surfaces and better luster than it does now. Certainly it had fewer abrasions....... but I get your point. There are more than a few original surface, blast-white Peace dollars out there still. When you find them, they're really something.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

What it lacked in strike before it made up in skin... Now it has 2 reasons to pass for another example :(

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davids5104 said:
    It is a 62.

I wonder if it would regrade as MS again dipped?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 8:54AM

I like a little color in mine......

• Options

@USAFRETWI said:

I like a little color in mine......

Your coin is much more original and a higher grade. Black and brown are not colors I personally value so this one would "blast" if done correctly. :)

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Maybe folks should need a license to buy dip. Nevertheless, it's his coin and he didn't ruin it.

True, it is not ruined = a few years in an envelope or Wayte Raymond album would certainly help "un-ruin" it.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this thread should be studied and re-studied. to me, the coin isn't very attractive before or after conservation and my hunch is that someone looking to buy a 1921 Peace Dollar would probably think twice before buying this one. MS62 High Relief Peace Dollars aren't necessarily very attractive so that presents a problem. the solution is to keep looking till you find an exceptional coin and save your money as you hunt, maybe you can afford an MS63-64.

I wouldn't buy this coin even at a good price for two reasons: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy looking at it and it would be hard to sell. for all those who complained about the 2nd set of pictures, would you want to own this coin before it was conserved??

• Options

I appreciate everyones comments. I do not know any of the techniques to modify the appearance of coins other than acetone and MS-70. I have almost zero experience with acetone doing anything visually helpful to my coins, because I guess my coins have limited PVC/fingerprints on them? but I always soak them for a few days prior to submitting for grading. With regards to MS70 I have seen crud removed on coins I have used it on. It also removed the toning off a kennedy half I used it on, and so, because I am dumb and do not know when or how to properly "help" my coins, I occasionally check a box on a submission to preserve/conserve a coin not knowing the difference between stripping and dipping.

The reverse of the coin was where my interest laid in having it "repaired" and this coin would likely have not looked good if I did a one-sided job. I see the predominance of disappointment in my decision to alter my coin, but now for the fact checking.... Anyone conserve/preserve a coin and wish you hadn't? Are you all capable of telling if a coin has been conserved in its history? Some of you may know how, but I get the feeling there is a bit of bandwagon mentality and "oh he said this" so I will agree, that goes on with some posts.

My opinion, the one I enjoy the most, is the reverse is better, the obverse is worse, I wish I did not conserve!

Cheers

Roosevelt Registry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file