Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this purchase?

Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2019 9:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is a photo of a recent purchase. Do you think it will be nice or a dud? Some of the toning on these sets can be nice. Sellers photos of which I’ll update when in hand.

Thoughts on this purchase?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 9:29AM

Personally I really like it. You can get a good handle on the Morgan's toning in the first pic. Bonus for it having a star note.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image portrays this set as being far nicer than I typically see such pieces and I think you will be very pleased. Of course, the price you paid will heavily influence this, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan looks really clean on the cheek, The Peace, not so much. But, why is a silver ingot included with "Obsolete Dollars? :|

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set and cool Engelhard bar included!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good presentation. May have crossover appeal and be an easy seller, if that is your intent. Would look nice hanging in an office.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you'll be lucky and that's an 84-S.... ha

Collector, occasional seller

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you'll be lucky and that's an 84-CC......ha

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on the price paid. This is not the kind of thing you want to pay any premium to buy.

All glory is fleeting.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I think they are nice. Ha-ha, I like the dollar. :D

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will expect Vam attributions for the Morgan and Peace! ;) Seriously though, I think it's great!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Mint frost on both of those dollars and the cheek of the Morgan looks very smooth.

Assuming that you paid conservatively; I think that you did very well.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real Money! Backed by Silver.What a neat concept!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. If you didn't pay what Ebay sellers are asking, you probably did OK.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be in at $100, but no more.

thefinn
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    I'd be in at $100, but no more.

With shipping

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted "stunner" because the "it will be somewhere in between OK and stunning" option wasn't available.

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    I voted "stunner" because the "it will be somewhere in between OK and stunning" option wasn't available.

Lol - thought of that after. I agree with you on that.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice display, providing it was not excessively priced. I would use it as a desk piece or wall display. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should have had a third choice like "somthing in the middle. It is far better than most of these type sets that I have seen. The silver is toned because it's been sealed with the carboard for a while, but the coins have not been polished which is often the case with sets like this. It's not "a stunner," but it is interesting.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

With only two choices, I vote stunner :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like it, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

That bar might get some attention in the Precious Metals Forum. Looks like a decent set.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    That bar might get some attention in the Precious Metals Forum. Looks like a decent set.

Agree. Someone may have details with that SN, too, @Bigbuck1975.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver certificate included is a star note, a replacement note and is worth a bit more than the standard silver certificate.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice presentation set for sure. It will always have value, and yes, I hope you didn't pay a whole lot for it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

It’ll be in hand today, will update photos later

edited April 24, 2019 4:23PM

What might have been, reverses we’re taped to prevent coins from moving. Morgan color would have been incredible, may still be. Both soaking in acetone as we speak

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Morgan quite a bit. The Peace dollar is OK - much more interesting than another dull slider.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

nothing wrong with that I like the note and silver bar best, that's just me though best wishes

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice dollars....better than I thought they'd be.
    B)

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy these regularly. I've been pleasantly surprised with the reverse toning on some.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:
    Shame is the original one could have had a better set, then the seller swipes out the good stuff with anything he had lying around.

Unlikely. Those sets were generally put together from bulk purchases of CHEAP coins. Most of them look far worse than that set. It would be unusual to ever find such a commercial set with high end coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file