Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When did Coinfacts bring images back?

VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hadn't noticed before today and am happy. Very happy.

Go to Coinfacts for your coin of choice and click "View More Images".

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t know, but the entire website has had all kinds of subtle changes to include the apps.

Wish there was a change summary.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been mentioned before, only publicly shared registry set images are available for now. Also the ability to view full resolution images easily has been taken away, which is not good for variety attribution and research for some of us.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no difference as they're still very selective in what they show. Many images are still missing.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    As mentioned, there was such an uproar, they brought back "some" images. They only share ones that are in a registry set, and that is only if it is set as public. As you can imagine, not all series have people collecting low and medium grade coins, so it is still a far cry from what it used to be, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, not what it used to be but is an improvement. All series' don't have the "View More Images" link. Hopefully they will be added as time allows.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of images have been deleted. That sign only shows up where there are more than the three photos on the front page.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

One exception to the availability of the images are the "plate coins." These are the first three images. Some of these are not in public registry sets but are still available for viewing. For the image to show up as one of the first three, the coin needs to be one of the three highest graded coins. If there are more than three coins with the highest grade, then only the three most recent, highest graded coins will appear on the first page.

• Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Of course, I wish CoinFacts was the way it was before the takedown of the images. Much more useful and enjoyable to peruse.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    As mentioned, there was such an uproar, they brought back "some" images. They only share ones that are in a registry set, and that is only if it is set as public. As you can imagine, not all series have people collecting low and medium grade coins, so it is still a far cry from what it used to be, but it's better than nothing.

You can also set coins in your PCGS Inventory to public so that they are visible in CoinFacts. This doesn't require them being in any sets. The full notice is available here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1014752/coinfacts-comparative-image-database-update#latest

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be wrong to just go through ebay and add all gold shield coins to my "inventory"? Asking for a friend. (no pcgs, I will not do this, it is a joke :D )

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 9:31PM

@jwitten said:

Low grades are a good thing to mention.

It seems like the multiple image issue would have mostly affected crack outs, which generally happen in the MS range. Perhaps everything AU and lower could be shown?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a certain Barber Half that was originally an XF40. It took 5 tries to get it back into a 40 holder....and yes it is a solid for the grade XF. Now there's an extra 40 and 4 extra 35's in the pop report!

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:

Low grades are a good thing to mention.

It seems like the multiple image issue would have mostly affected crack outs, which generally happen in the MS range. Perhaps everything AU and lower could be shown?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images have been there for many years to my knowledge. Maybe you just experienced a computer glitch? Glad it's working for you now. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file