Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1839-O 50C - Opinions, Thoughts, Comments?

Having bought both bad and legit 39-Os in the past, I already know which way I'm leaning on this coin. But I'm interested in getting some other opinions on it.

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

The improper cleaning kills the eye appeal even though it might grade as problem-free.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Removal of the old patina pretty much sucks the life out of it, to me.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wicked die crack, but she looks like she's been through the scrubber.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

While not attractive, I believe the variety with this cracked obverse die is quite scarce.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is cleany -looking, but it’s still a 39O..... so depending on your budget, if it fits the bill, enjoy it.
    I passed on one worse than this and considerably more worn at a FUN show, and it wasn’t cheap, and a dealer right behind grabbed it right up.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint mark looks too fat and squatty to me.

Completely uneducated observation so do not make any decisions based on what I say.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

It looks "fine" to me, in more ways than one. Well done.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gut feeling is genuine, cleaned.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭

Sorry, been making beef stew for the past couple hours (then eating it).

So yeah, I'm in the genuine camp. It was definitely cleaned at some point, but I'm not sure it wouldn't make it into a holder anyway. I've seen worse. I'm leaning more toward VF 20 than F 15, but that could easily be just because I like the price.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhummm... did the half get accidentally dropped in the beef stew?
    ;)

• Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭

What beef stew? (burp!)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a genuine late die state GR-4, pretty scarce. Probably normal die rotation unlike the prime GR-4. Improperly cleaned, it appears.

The disturbance around the mintmark is troubling and might raises suspicions. For this reason it should probably be slabbed even if it won't straight-grade.
    Lance.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely real. I’ve never seen a counterfeiter able to fake a die state like that, unless they made transfer does from a very scarce host coin. May not be worth slabbing though.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with the die varieties of this coin. Is the pitting near the mint mark and to the right next to the cap normal? Is it normal for this die, or has it something to do with planchet roughness? I know others have said that this coin is genuine, but there are some aspects, like that, which I don’t like.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin appears authentic... the die crack is quite dramatic.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file