Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this look like MS62 to you???

Hello All:

This was also posted on the "Q & A" forum and someone suggested I post here as well.
When I discovered this 1896 DMPL in a "Rattler", I snapped it up and think it to be quite a find.
Still not sure how to proceed eventually... (Go for CAC Gold? Submit as "reconsideration"? Submit "regrade" or raw?)

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

1986 grading
    First generation

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 2:03PM

The second obverse image shows some pretty bad flaws (nearly to the point of “obverse damage”) on Liberty’s face and neck, so yes.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not resubmit, I don't think it would straight grade with that scratch across her face. If it did 62 is about right....might go for a CAC if you think that would help. Lucky if it greens.

bob :)
    PS: I do like the coin.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of Morgan DMPLS’s graded in the 1980’s are not DMPL by today’s standards. Whatever you do, don’t crack it out.

• Options
    scvusascvusa Posts: 47
    edited April 19, 2019 2:22PM

@MFeld said:
    The second obverse image shows some pretty bad flaws (nearly to the point of “obverse damage”) on Liberty’s face and neck, so yes.

Those issues are fell less evident in person.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might have a chance to upgrade by one point but don't bank on it. The coin has been dipped, and given the desire or "original coins" these days, that is a negative. I'd leave it in the holder. It will be easier to sell that way.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Thank you all for the advice

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be a Debbie Downer but the obverse strike is sub-par as well. As noted above, there's a good chance it would not grade DMPL today either. I'd send it to CAC if it were mine. No way it comes out of the rattler.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:
    Not to be a Debbie Downer but the obverse strike is sub-par as well. As noted above, there's a good chance it would not grade DMPL today either. I'd send it to CAC if it were mine. No way it comes out of the rattler.

I don’t think that coin is anywhere close to weakly enough struck to affect the grade adversely.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOLD STICKER.

Don't crack it.....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@MFeld said:

@VanHalen said:

I don’t think that coin is anywhere close to weakly enough struck to affect the grade adversely.

That might be true. The hairline is weak nonetheless.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it, don't crack it.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scvusa said:
    Hello All:

This was also posted on the "Q & A" forum and someone suggested I post here as well.
    When I discovered this 1896 DMPL in a "Rattler", I snapped it up and think it to be quite a find.
    Still not sure how to proceed eventually... (Go for CAC Gold? Submit as "reconsideration"? Submit "regrade" or raw?)

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Coin and Cert Number missing?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no Morgan expert, but even with that, I'd say it's definite gold bean material.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it alone as long as u have a 4 inch mirror its fine

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, I'd leave it alone !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resembles an impaired proof.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend you do not crack it.... It could get a green bean... but with the hits on the neck, cheek and eye brow, well, maybe not.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@MFeld said:

@VanHalen said:

@Baley said:

Door #1, please recalibrate your definition of "par" and "sub-par" strikes.
    If I gave my true opinion of your statement, I'd be banned.
    Back to school, mi amigo.

I'll take Door #2

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@ECHOES said:

See additional image with cert #

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scvusa said:

@ECHOES said:

See additional image with cert #

Thanks, why/how is it missing in the picture?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@ColonelJessup said:

@VanHalen said:

@MFeld said:

@VanHalen said:

@Baley said:

I'll take Door #2

Alrighty then. You won't see me posting here again.

Adios amigo.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been a lot of years for these OH coins to have been upgraded as well as submitted to cac. So I wouldn't count my chickens until they're hatched.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2019 9:44AM

@VanHalen said:

@ColonelJessup said:

@VanHalen said:

@MFeld said:

@VanHalen said:

@Baley said:

I'll take Door #2

Alrighty then. You won't see me posting here again.

Adios amigo.

I can defend my position by comparison with hundreds of images of this date in HA archives.
    I made no criticism of you, you're not bad. But you are wrong on this one isolated point,
    If you were in one of my grading classes at Summer Seminar, you might be more inclined to take my word for it.

School yourself to not take such offense. I myself sometimes suck at that. :s
    So about the disagree ….. you will find as little photographic evidence of that coin being adjudged by experts to have a sub-par strike as you will find crowd-control experts who described the last inauguration Mall-crowd as "yuge" >:)

I wish I could post the images of the last 10 pieces in PCGS MS66 white from PCGS Auction Prices or HA.com for comparison.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

"Thanks, why/how is it missing in the picture?"
    ECHOES: I removed it on one image for posting elsewhere to preserve anonymity.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    There have been a lot of years for these OH coins to have been upgraded as well as submitted to cac. So I wouldn't count my chickens until they're hatched.

This supposedly was removed from a deceased safe, having not seen the light of day for a long time.

• Options

Here are the images of the aforementioned MS66 DMPL example of the date that is up for auction. Indeed, my 62 it is not that far down the scale from the look of this one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file