Home Sports Talk

NY Yankees and Philadelphia Flyers are removing Kate Smith's God Bless America ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

But Snoop Dogg can have season tickets with the Lakers when he sings songs like
"Btches ain’t sht but hoes and tricks / Lick on these nuts and suck the d*ck".

So Snoop Dogg can totally degrade the female species and walk into any NFL or NBA or any
other arena, but Kate Smith is banned ?

Shall I bring up many more rappers who totally degrade women and law officers who can
enter any arena they want ?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/19/yankees-flyers-ban-kate-smiths-god-bless-america-due-to-racist-songs/

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just copy and paste every negative thing I posted in the Kap thread, and all the others and put it here. 😡

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell, 1984

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ease up on snoop he can't possibly have anything to do with this

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 1:42PM

1) the Snoop and rapper examples are red herrings and have nothing to do with the Kate Smith situation. Snoop and other rappers are attending as a fans. Their music is not being played during the seventh inning stretch or in between periods of hockey games.

2) this is very unfortunate. Loved the Kate Smith rendition. I guess someone else’s version could be played now.

3) The lyrics for these old Kate Smith tunes are disgusting. I just watched them on YouTube. It’s hard to believe this was allowed not all that long ago. A lot of people are still alive from this era.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@1970s said:
    But Snoop Dogg can have season tickets with the Lakers when he sings songs like
    "Btches ain’t sht but hoes and tricks / Lick on these nuts and suck the d*ck".

So Snoop Dogg can totally degrade the female species and walk into any NFL or NBA or any
    other arena, but Kate Smith is banned ?

Shall I bring up many more rappers who totally degrade women and law officers who can
    enter any arena they want ?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/19/yankees-flyers-ban-kate-smiths-god-bless-america-due-to-racist-songs/

Your link is asking me to pay money to read the article :D that can't be a thing , no one in the history of the planet would pay to read an article

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land would be a reasonable choice.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to believe Kate Smith would sing those songs.

As far as rappers go...…..don't get me started...….they are the scourge of the Earth. It was great when they were wiping each other out!!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It ain't over till the fat lady no longer sings.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 2:01AM

First Laura Ingalls Wilder gets her name stripped from a major literary award and now has only a generic name...and now this. I hope the Flyers fans will not let this go without a fight.

Say remember not too long ago it was fashionable to try to tear down statues of guys who had less than perfect records regarding racial attitudes? I say they should keep removing the cover off Kate's statue outside of the Flyers' arena until the Flyers get the message that this is a STUPID reason for just now smearing Kate Smith's (mostly) good name.

As extreme a tactic this might be, I'd be half tempted to call for the booing of a non-Kate Smith recording of GBA at Yankee Stadium and especially the Flyers place (NOT ones that perform live, only when they play a generic recording).

Here's another idea, maybe someone in Congress in response could propose GBA as another offical national anthem, like many states have more than one state anthem.

And while we're on this subject, why not strip Keensaw Mountain Landis' name from the MVP award? He was a REAL racist and MLB would've integrated at least a few years sooner had he not actively stopped it from happening during his administration.

I'm just so tired of seeing innocent people (dead or alive) being smeared and their lives/history half-ruined because of stupid fake racism.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

BTW, here is the REAL story behind the so-called "racist" song (that the lazy SJW media types didn't bother to mention)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqaw2jviEsQ

Also look up the story of the so-called racist blackface performer Al Jotson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jolson

These are perfect examples of what I like to call ad 21st centuryum (carelessly judging things in the past by today's standards without proper historical context).

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Well that does it.
    We should immediately posthumously impeach George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (charge him with rape also).

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Another idea is to leave flowers and nice messages around her statue as well as hold up signs supporting her at Flyers games. I would think any real Flyers fan (especially ones who live in or near Philly) would jump at the chance to help not only keep a historic tradition, but to clear Kate's good name...by all accounts she was a sweet kind lady and she does NOT deserve to be treated this way.

WISHLIST

@jay0791 said:
    Well that does it.
    We should immediately posthumously impeach George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (charge him with rape also).

Historically speaking, it’s possible it was Thomas’ brother. I never cared for Jefferson and though he was a brilliant mind he was kind of a wimp.

Washington was the only one who got it right: delegate responsibilities to the most qualified American and do little else. The job of the President is to preside over the government, not be it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@jay0791 said:
    Well that does it.

Historically speaking, it’s possible it was Thomas’ brother. I never cared for Jefferson and though he was a brilliant mind he was kind of a wimp.

Washington was the only one who got it right: delegate responsibilities to the most qualified American and do little else. The job of the President is to preside over the government, not be it.

>
    Snowflakes :D

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's Why Darkies Were Born

Someone had to pick the cotton,
    Someone had to pick the corn,
    Someone had to slave and be able to sing,
    That's why darkies were born;

Someone had to laugh at trouble,
    Though he was tired and worn,
    Had to be contented with any old thing,
    That's why darkies were born;

Sing, sing, sing when you're weary and
    Sing when you're blue,
    Sing, sing, that's what you taught
    All the white folks to do;

Someone had to fight the Devil,
    Shout about Gabriel's Horn,
    Someone had to stoke the train
    That would bring God's children to green pastures,
    That's why darkies were born.

I had never heard of this song and from reading about the background of the song, it was written as a satirical view of racism. Reading the words of the song, it's quite obvious that is true.

Slavery is pure evil and we all know it. However there is an old saying that when attempting to portray "evil" in words, the best way is not to try to explain it, just depict it.

This song satirically depicts the evil of slavery.

Kate Smith should be applauded for singing her rendition of this song. And her beautiful recording of "God Bless America" should be immediately restored at Flyers games.

Well the Flyers fans should know what to do...lest they risk their team having the "Curse of Kate" put upon them.

WISHLIST

@Estil said:
    Well the Flyers fans should know what to do...lest they risk their team having the "Curse of Kate" put upon them.

That's right. We've got enough problems in Philly sports, the last thing we need is another one. :)

Very interesting connection between American sports and slavery.

Back in the days before slavery, the stronger black tribes in Africa would raid the weaker black tribes, slaughter all the males and older women, and keep the young women and children to live in their tribe. This type of human carnage wasn't all that different throughout the world in various ways.

Around the time of the slave trade with America, instead of slaughtering the conquered black males, the stronger black tribes sold them and some of the women to the white slave traders. Suffice to say that instead of being slaughtered, these blacks were shipped to America as slaves.

The vast majority of blacks in America today are descendants of these slaves. So as horrific as is the institution of slavery, virtually every black sports player in America today would have never been born without it.

If it wasn't for slavery, there would have never been a Jackie Robinson, a Muhammad Ali. a Michael Jordan, a Jim Brown, etc, and that is a fact.

Mr 1951 Wheaties
    I respect your intellect and us Yankee fans need to stick together.
    There has been much archeology and excavation at Monticello these past years.
    Sally Hemmings room has been found and it was right off Jefferson's bedroom.
    DNA analysis from confirmed ancestors has verified Jefferson fathered her children.
    She was given special privileges (I don't wasn't to say freedoms as that would be the ultimate hypocrisy)
    that his other slaves did not. An example of traveling to France with his daughter where she cold have easily escaped. I am not sure but Her and her family may have been the only slaves declared free after his death.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

Man has not always been gracious to our fellow human beings. Followers of history will reveal a long line of persecution. We cannot change history. WE can learn from it and try not to make the same mistakes.

Most singers do not write their lyrics. Did Kate Smith? I doubt it. GBA is an American tradition like apple pie.

I am old school in may ways. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

To be consistent, one can expect MLB and the NHL to discontinue sponsorship with VW and the other German auto makers that employed slave labor during WWII.

edited April 20, 2019 10:22AM

Stevek's last post makes me want to vomit. Dimeman's agree brings up a bit of barf as well. i guess lingering racism in this country is more abundant than we like to think.

@Coinstartled said:
    Stevek's last post makes me want to vomit. Dimeman's agree brings up a bit of barf as well. i guess lingering racism in this country is more abundant than we like to think.

Muhammad Ali once commented when finding out a significant portion of his ancestry was Irish, (paraphrase) "Somebody in my family sure ain't telling me something?"

"MLB and the NHL to discontinue sponsorship with VW and the other German auto makers that employed slave labor during WWII." You can add the Japanese to that. The baton death march is well known but the Japs murdered hundreds of thousands in China and tortured and executed countless American POW'S in WW2. Mitsubishi made military equipment that killed many a US Marine. We can't buy enough of them and Nissan's today.

The V2 rocket was possibly the only weapon developed that killed more people in the making of the rocket at Peenemunde than in its use. so.....no Nazi slave labor. No Wernher Von Braun (the U.S. couldn't wait to forgive all his sins and place him in charge of our space rocket programs) we don't send a man to the moon in 1969.

I am sorry but evil can never be explained or justified.

I have had the privilege of talking to many people from the 'Greatest Generation' to forgive events that happened long before I was born.
    I have and always will drive an American made vehicle

The above may well be a version of "the white man's burden."

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    edited April 20, 2019 10:54AM

@jay0791 said:
    Mr 1951 Wheaties
    I respect your intellect and us Yankee fans need to stick together.
    There has been much archeology and excavation at Monticello these past years.
    Sally Hemmings room has been found and it was right off Jefferson's bedroom.
    DNA analysis from confirmed ancestors has verified Jefferson fathered her children.
    She was given special privileges (I don't wasn't to say freedoms as that would be the ultimate hypocrisy)
    that his other slaves did not. An example of traveling to France with his daughter where she cold have easily escaped. I am not sure but Her and her family may have been the only slaves declared free after his death.

From what I read, Jefferson’s relationship with Sally Hemmings was as close to a legitimate relationship (as a side piece or whatever you’d call it) as was permitted between races in the time period; my point was directed at the assaults that took place there at Monticello. Many records of assault coincided with his brothers visits.

I could be wrong; I’m no Jeffersonian!

@1970s said:
    People who live in America have no idea about the type of corruption and thievery that is taking place around the world, especially in the poorer countries. My friends from Egypt just told me that people in Egypt are having a hard time just getting food right now. People worry day to day about having enough to feed their families. That's from the middle class worker on down. Think about being a police officer in Egypt and worrying each day about how you are going to feed your wife and children, because some days you can't find the food to do so. Think about that the next time you pass a Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds with your credit card and wallet filled with $20s.

Doubt anyone here passes the donut shop. ;)

@Coinstartled said:

who starts a thread with the sole intention of getting bammed? :D Its a holiday weekend beware the hammer can fall on Tuesday next

Getting back to Kate Smith and God Bless America, played at the Philadelphia Flyers hockey games:

Other than watching Kate perform live on TV a few times when watching the Flyers, I knew very little about her. Fact is she is an American hero as she prolifically traveled over a half million miles during WW2 to entertain our great troops.

I don't know the background of her singing. But basically most if not all Hollywood singers and performers back then, were employed by one of the major studios. Likely Kate would just sing whatever was placed in front of her, and sing it well she did.

If anyone wishes to knock the songwriter or Hollywood studio for the song, so be it, even though in reality there is nothing here to knock. But to disparage the great Kate Smith and to remove a great American song, frankly is despicable and unacceptable.

God Bless America sung by Kate Smith should be played again at Flyers games, and i hope it happens.

Buy all the Kate Smith cards you can. Buy all the Kate Smith cards you can. :)

edited April 20, 2019 11:47AM

Just remove the damn statue. The cover up is stupid.

The Sports Forum where old white men come to explain away slavery and racism and make it seem like a blessing.

This thread can’t close fast enough.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Kate Smith did nothing wrong. The song in question was against slavery and racism. And God Bless America is a classic American song.

Shame on the Flyers and Yankees front office for jumping to conclusions which are totally false.

@1970s said:

@Coinstartled said:
    . i guess lingering racism in this country is more abundant than we like to think.

The key words you used is "I guess", and you guessed wrong.

How did an African American man ever get elected President of these United States if
    that "lingering racism" is still "more abundant."

I think you need an Al Sharpton picture to replace that "white man" baseball player you
    have next to your username, because "I guess" he was a racist too.

I am dumbfounded that it would be suggested on this forum that Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson should be thankful for slavery as it provided a path to fame and fortune.

If not for the Pharaoh, I wouldn't have had fried matzoh for breakfast.

@Coinstartled said:

@1970s said:

@Coinstartled said:
    . i guess lingering racism in this country is more abundant than we like to think.

The key words you used is "I guess", and you guessed wrong.

How did an African American man ever get elected President of these United States if
    that "lingering racism" is still "more abundant."

I think you need an Al Sharpton picture to replace that "white man" baseball player you
    have next to your username, because "I guess" he was a racist too.

I am dumbfounded that it would be suggested on this forum that Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson should be thankful for slavery as it provided a path to fame and fortune.

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/muhammad-ali-proud-irish-roots

The Greatest, Muhammad Ali, was very proud of his Irish roots

@1970s said:

@Justacommeman said:
    The Sports Forum where old white men come to explain away slavery and racism and make it seem like a blessing.

This thread can’t close fast enough.

m

This thread was about how they removed Kate Smith's God Bless America from our national pastime because the snowflakes have falsely accused her of being something that she probably was not.

But thanks for trying to derail this thread by changing what the thread is about.

Just don't look at one post, and then decide that the thread should be closed.

This thread should remain open because an injustice has been done to Flyer
    and Yankee fans, and to Kate Smith. It's a real shame, but the snowflakes will call
    her a racist and then at the same time invite Snoop Dogg to their home for Easter dinner.

Actually it was the Yankeees and Flyers who fired the deceased Kate Smith. You need to speak to them.

I’m not trying to derail anything. This thread was off the rails from jump street.

m

@Coinstartled said:
    If not for the Pharaoh, I wouldn't have had fried matzoh for breakfast.

If it was a Pharaoh who chose to keep your conquered ancestors alive as slaves, rather than kill them, then your assertion would be correct. Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.