Home Sports Talk
Options

NY Yankees and Philadelphia Flyers are removing Kate Smith's God Bless America ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 1:45PM

Now I know why we drink 4 glasses of wine at the Seder. :/

• Options

@1970s said:

@Coinstartled said:

I am dumbfounded that it would be suggested on this forum that Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson should be thankful for slavery as it provided a path to fame and fortune.

Good Lord. Who ever said that ? Slavery was an injustice, but future generations of African Americans have benefited GREATLY by that injustice. Who ever said they should be "thankful"
    for slavery ?

I can't find it. Or did you make that up to just make the "white guys" look bad ?

I have defended the Cleveland logo I have defended the Redskins name, I have defended Kate Smith. Your position is defenseless.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Stevek's last post makes me want to vomit. Dimeman's agree brings up a bit of barf as well. i guess lingering racism in this country is more abundant than we like to think.

Neither @stevek or myself are racist! Just another case of things being taken out of context!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Stevek's last post makes me want to vomit. Dimeman's agree brings up a bit of barf as well. i guess lingering racism in this country is more abundant than we like to think.

Neither @stevek or myself are racist! Just another case of things being taken out of context!

OK Jon. Please put it in context so I can understand better,

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Now I know why we drink 4 glasses of wine at the Seder. :/

Our ancestors may have come from the same tribe back then.

They certainly would have been immeasurably proud that the state of Israel was finally created. :)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek merely made a statement that was true. In no way did he say or imply that slavery was a good thing. He has always stated that slavery was a terrible place in history and I totally agree!

• Options

@1970s said:

@1970s said:
    When President Roosevelt introduced her to King George VI of England, he said, “This is Kate Smith. Miss Smith is America.’’ BTW: Kate Smith was a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Also, during WWII Kate Smith traveled nearly 520,000 miles to entertain troops and sold a record $600 million in war bonds in a series of round-the-clock radio appeals. One of these, a 24-hour marathon on Feb. 1, 1944, raised a record $110 million in pledges. THIS is the woman that the Flyers have banned. Shame on 'em!

For those who don't remember, Kate Smith did this in an effort to take down a man and a regime that CHOSE to slaughter 6 million Jews. Yeah, she's a pig. She's a racist. She's a national embarrassment.

Anybody that thinks Kate Smith was a racist simply does not know anything about her! False slandering of the dead is about as low as you can get. This makes me want to puke!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 2:51PM

@1970s said:

@Justacommeman said:

I’m not trying to derail anything. This thread was off the rails from jump street.

m

Sadly you follow up your intentional "let's try to close this thread" approach with
    an outright lie. Perhaps you should to try to find a different sand box to play in.

This thread was never "off the rails". It was to discuss the injustice that was done
    to one of America's legends in the sports world, and war effort.

You my friend are off the rails, so please go find another track to run on. Thank you.

I did no such thing. I said this thread can’t close fast enough. Big difference. This thread is going to get somebody banned the direction it’s going. Yep, can’t close fast enough.

Your first post was totally off the rails. It did make me laugh so there is that.

Your outrage should be solely directed at the Flyers and Yankees. They made the call. Anyways I see you’re super sensitive so I’ll step out of your litter-box in just a moment. Zero worries.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@1970s said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek merely made a statement that was true. In no way did he say or imply that slavery was a good thing. He has always stated that slavery was a terrible place in history and I totally agree!

Exactly. But Coinstartled then proceeded to say that you guys said that Ali and Robinson should be thankful for slavery according to you two. Nice play Coinstartled. It shows your true colors about how you like to make false claims against innocent posters.

Those folks from Kenya that win the Boston Marathon each year...how were they able to that without benefit of enslavement.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere in Lake Placid,NY, where Kate is buried,discontentment may be prevailing.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

. This thread is going to get somebody banned the direction it’s going. Yep, can’t close fast enough.

Funny. The KC thread didn't get anyone banned. But this one will ?

LOL

theres mods now if you hadn't noticed

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 7:20PM

@1970s said:
    Funny. The KC thread didn't get anyone banned. But this one will ?

LOL

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today marks the 80th anniversary of Marian Anderson's concert at the Lincoln Memorial which was truly an iconic event in the Civil Rights movement. The DAR opposed Anderson performing at Constitution Hall. Eleanor Roosevelt resigned from the organization and the Lincoln Memorial became the venue. Sadly, Anderson did not perform at the Met until much later in her career.

There is no substitute for understanding history from social, economic and political trends of the day which are interconnected and the byproduct of the times. To disconnect them and independently look at a component in the absence of the others, which if done today includes the benefit of hindsight, it seems history is full of disappointments instead of a reflection of hope and progress. We need to do a better job of understanding where we have been so we can appreciate where we need to go.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.