Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What details grade do you think this is?

Fill in the blank.
_________ details heavy corrosion.

In case you are wondering I my LCS let me look through a bunch of cull large cents for 8$ a piece to get rid of some and I also got a 1797 and 1794.

Comments

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score! I mean that. a 97 and a 94 ! cool. Now, this coin VG, all the best to you MIke

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Codes 97 and 92

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fine details

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably XF but likely netted to VF Details

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say VF sharpness, net Fair because of heavy corrosion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely Fine, corroded. :p

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Extremely Fine, corroded. :p

Agreed.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 12:04PM

@amwldcoin said:

IMHO, a coin that is "Detailed" should never be NET GRADED!!! In fact, look around because when a coin is detailed by a TPGS it is often "pushed or not as strictly graded" because in most cases, it really does not matter much.
    IMO, calling the OP's coin (that has more details than many AU's) anything less than XF is not fair to the coin. Besides, what does it matter with this amount of corrosion?

The original purpose of "technical grading" was to describe a coin when you couldn't see it. It was very strict to help ID a coin that was sent in again or lost. "Detail" grading as used today (by those who actually apply it correctly) is just like the old technical system. GRADE THE COIN, state the modifiers.

Example: Choice (the old MS-65) Uncirculated, weak strike. This was a virtually flawless coin with full luster that was not fully struck. At the time, the commercial grade for that coin was MS-63 (64 did not exist yet) and NOT MS-65 because the weakly struck piece was not worth Choice Unc money!

Choice Unc, splotchy toning is another - LOL. This unattractive coin with full luster and no marks has terrible eye appeal. It would NEVER sell as an MS-65 but it is easy to visualize.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF details... yeah, heavily corroded...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Insider, XF details. The OP already filled in the corrosion part. PS - nice score if you got a ‘94 large cent in ANY condition for $8!!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you but there are many coins out there that are done as I describe.

@Insider2 said:

@amwldcoin said:

IMHO, a coin that is "Detailed" should never be NET GRADED!!! In fact, look around because when a coin is detailed by a TPGS it is often "pushed or not as strictly graded" because in most cases, it really does not matter much.
    IMO, calling the OP's coin (that has more details than many AU's) anything less than XF is not fair to the coin. Besides, what does it matter with this amount of corrosion?

The original purpose of "technical grading" was to describe a coin when you couldn't see it. It was very strict to help ID a coin that was sent in again or lost. "Detail" grading as used today (by those who actually apply it correctly) is just like the old technical system. GRADE THE COIN, state the modifiers.

Example: Choice (the old MS-65) Uncirculated, weak strike. This was a virtually flawless coin with full luster that was not fully struck. At the time, the commercial grade for that coin was MS-63 (64 did not exist yet) and NOT MS-65 because the weakly struck piece was not worth Choice Unc money!

Choice Unc, splotchy toning is another - LOL. This unattractive coin with full luster and no marks has terrible eye appeal. It would NEVER sell as an MS-65 but it is easy to visualize.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care about the actual grade but that's a Classic head and I like it!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

High VF/low XF details

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 'Fair' and 'Corroded'.... and I would keep it in my general coin group...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Xf

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file