KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 19, 2019 7:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

:)

Comments

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 7:24AM

No

What is the TPG grade, price?

Is this another of those coins grossly overpriced coins bc of sticker?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 7:31AM

30 years ago it was not as now designated: I believe that is a BMSP66 (ex: @MrEureka )

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 10:06AM

nice coin, but 300k could buy a lot of nice coins in my opinion.

@Realone said:
    no
    beautiful dime, but I don't care what a few say it is worth, it isn't worth that to me.

But if you register for the auction, there's a free meal ! o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's beautiful and I'm sure it's rare and worth every penny but I'm, personally, not interested at $300K

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.... Of course others will say yes, and that is fine for them. To me, it is not worth such an investment. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

To have and to hold ? Yeah. Brother, can ya spare a dime ?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone who can think about spending that amount of money for anything is someone living in a different strata of society than what I occupy.

I’ll take an even dozen.
    Oh sorry, I thought I was at Dunkin-D. :D

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather buy cheaper stuff 300k is too much.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

No! and if I had $300k to spend on a coin right now, I wouldn't. I'd probably be hiding out in a motel somewhere in Montana

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    No! and if I had $300k to spend on a coin right now, I wouldn't. I'd probably be hiding out in a motel somewhere in Montana

Why would you be hiding :neutral:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

No...nice coin though.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait a minute...There were ONLY 8 million made! How many attractively toned Unc's can possibly exist? There is a Registry Set craze now where PO-1 coins cost the same as 66's! Apparently, this coin is worth $300K to someone. Thank goodness for that. We should all be happy for the folks who are selling it and the auction house too. Oh, and of course, its lucky new owner. :wink:

PS Remember, everything is relative. Some folks have a closet full of $40K purses. Some live in houses where the furnishings in just one bedroom cost several million dollars not counting the custom made Australian crystal chandelier! What's $300K? Pool and yard service for a year?

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice dime, but I wouldn't pay a dime over $297,825.02 for it.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legend would pay that... :D

@thebigeng said:

Legend probably owns it. :p

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

It cannot possibly be worth $300K without a letter signed by Walter Breen accompanying the coin.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@thebigeng said:

Legend probably owns it. :p

Pretty sure Simpson owns it....or used to own it

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the CoinFacts info on it and two others. It sold not too long ago in an auction for a bit less.

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1876-cc-10c-bm/4789

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

edited April 19, 2019 10:46AM

@ColonelJessup said:
    30 years ago it was not as now designated: I believe that is a BMSP66 (ex: @MrEureka )

WTF? The history and pedigree are cool. No numismatic sluts here, just lost souls?
    I just looked at the coin. I care nothing about the price. Don't you want to take it apart? Is it designated a specimen now? Sorta seems like considering the $300K :o

Sorry it's not an 1887-S proof, but ya gotta take whatever crap comes over the counter each day and pick off what you can.
    WTF?

@Insider2 - not eight million made this way, perhaps two.

• ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I just stopped buying coffee in the AM to save for this!

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

My $.02 could not buy it.

AS A BRANCH MINT PROOF, rather than a toned MS coin, that negates my sarcastic remarks as there were NOT 8 million struck.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you missing the fact it is labeled as a BM Specimen?

@Insider2 said:
    Wait a minute...There were ONLY 8 million made! How many attractively toned Unc's can possibly exist? There is a Registry Set craze now where PO-1 coins cost the same as 66's! Apparently, this coin is worth $300K to someone. Thank goodness for that. We should all be happy for the folks who are selling it and the auction house too. Oh, and of course, its lucky new owner. :wink:

PS Remember, everything is relative. Some folks have a closet full of $40K purses. Some live in houses where the furnishings in just one bedroom cost several million dollars not counting the custom made Australian crystal chandelier! What's $300K? Pool and yard service for a year?

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slipped that in just under the wire! :#

@Insider2 said:
    AS A BRANCH MINT PROOF, rather than a toned MS coin, that negates my sarcastic remarks as there were NOT 8 million struck.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it considered a Branch Mint proof?

Frank

BHNC #203

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    Is it considered a Branch Mint proof?

Yes.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 11:55AM

Nope.

PS: The Carson mint did not have equipment to make a proof coin. If it were a "proof" - and I have significant doubts of that based on the photos - it had to have been made at Philadelphia.

• MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I have a toned MS67 with a cac sticker. What is that worth??????

MrD -- yours must also be a "branch mint proof" and maybe a "So-Called Dollar" too !

:)

PS: There were no "branch mints" in 1876. After April 1, 1873 each mint was a separate "Mint of the United States at [insert city name]."

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could not even if I wanted to. It's nice, but I would buy something else if I had that much disposable cash.

Trade $'s
    edited April 19, 2019 12:24PM

BMSP - pearls before swine :s
    @RogerB can like prove it's not a Specimen either, and so it goes :|

Sorry about the racist comment, but the smart people must be attending Seders >:)

@HeatherBoyd I'm Jewish. I would never mess with you, especially on a Friday

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to wait until payday.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Nope.

PS: The Carson mint did not have equipment to make a proof coin. If it were a "proof" - and I have significant doubts of that based on the photos - it had to have been made at Philadelphia.

And yet, some of us have different opinions, which are based on in hand examination of the coin. Admittedly, we can’t prove that are opinions are correct.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy a house instead.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

At that price it is probably designated as a branch mint proof. It looks within the normal range of production to me. I would call it a PL business strike. I sure hope there is some documentation, but it appears there isn't. Even Walter Breen didn't list any proofs. >:)

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 1:08PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    No.

At that price it is probably designated as a branch mint proof. It looks within the normal range of production to me. I would call it a PL business strike. I sure hope there is some documentation, but it appears there isn't. Even Walter Breen didn't list any proofs. >:)

The coin is owned by a West Coast dealer.

edited April 19, 2019 1:22PM

I'd like to know how many coins were described as Branch Mint Proofs or Specimen Strikes BEFORE 1986 and how many coins have been added to that group SINCE 1986. Don't read into this, I'm just very extremely curious. :)

Let's not include the 1964 specimen strikes at the Smithsonian in the number.

Thanks for the images. Now that I see the CAC sticker, I understand the price better. The sticker must be worth a digit or two. :D>:)

It is a really nice piece, but I'm not sure I agree with a BMPF or SP designation.

@MFeld said:
    And yet, some of us have different opinions, which are based on in hand examination of the coin. Admittedly, we can’t prove that are opinions are correct.

Do you agree with the designation? I have posted about this same issue a few times on the forum: How does one distinguish between a "specimen" strike versus a well struck proof like business strike? As a former PL collector, I have seen many business strike coins that compare favorably to proof coins, but like some of the undocumented specimen coins appear to fall within a normal range of quality you might see from normal production. In many cases the PL/SP distinction is trivial, but the difference is always tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather buy a whole swimming pool of little one gram silver bullion coins and swim in them.

@MFeld said:

@RogerB said:
    Nope.

The difficulty comes when some of those are asked to produce facts and data to support their opinions. Invariably, it has been past practice to say "it looks like a proof" rather than understanding and applying the operational, mechanical and physical constraints relevant to making a "proof coin" at the Philadelphia Mint.

Even from the photos, the reverse polishing is far inferior to anything the Philadelphia Mint was doing for proof dies/planchets in 1876. The polishing is also inferior to ordinary work at the San Francisco Mint of the same time.

I have no financial or other gain/loss regarding this or other coins. However, I have a basic concern about making accurate, defensible, supportable attributions - things built of facts not initial "opinions" and guesses.

The easiest possible viewing test is to place the coin in question next to the same date proof dime. The two must match if they are proofs.

• If the Carson coin does not match the Philadelphia proof, then it is not a proof.
    • If the Carson coin matches the Philadelphia proof, then it is a proof made from Carson dies at Philadelphia. (Carson did not have equipment to make proof coins.)

Was this very simple comparison performed before attribution?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file