Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you are a collector, how often do you add a coin to your collection?

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you need clarification, average things out over the past 2 years. Don't include coins without at least some numismatic value (disregard bullion purchases).

Feel free to post your most recent purchase. :)

If you are a collector, how often do you add a coin to your collection?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 4:30PM

I maybe buy once a month but when I do it is normally quite a few whether it is from the bargain bin at a coin show or a shop. The prices usually though for 100$+ coins it is maybe 3-4 a year last year I made my biggest purchase 425$ for a XF seated dollar.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too many now 3 to 6 per year now.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy whenever there is a e bucks promo, so very often until I max out at 500 for the quarter

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever Tyler sells a nice and dirty Barber half.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

That is so cool.

That's it. I'm commissioning a small gold punch that I can use on my entire collection.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put down 2 to 4 a month, there are months when I don't buy anything. It tends to come in bunches when I go to a major show.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

7 to 12 times a year unless its something real expensive. just saying

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having taken the ANA grading class, it reaffirmed I need and want to build a grading set.

Mostly common slabbed Buffs and Morgans from AU to MS 65 that double for registry pursuits.

They have been coming at a fairly healthy click.

The other pursuit is Proof coins. Cheap fun looking for cameos and toners with plans to send off for grading.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been almost a year since I've added to my primary set.

I have other side projects to which I add about 7 or 8 a year.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I told myself I would plan on adding just 1-2 coins per year but somehow coins keep coming up for me to add so I voted 2-4 per month (on the lower end of that scale, roughly ~25/year)

My most recent purchase is this sestertius of Maximinus Thrax from 236 AD which isn't a terribly remarkable coin on its own except for the silver inlay on the obverse. This mark was used by Leonello d'Este, and shows it was part of the collection formed in the fifteenth century (born 1407, died 1450), subsequently finding itself in the Gonzaga collection and a number of other prominent collections in the intervening half-millennium.

Most of the collection was sold to pay off family debts in the early 1600s and the remaining coins were looted in 1630 during the sack of Mantua, causing the coins to be distributed all throughout Europe into various collections and museums.

It's one of the oldest pedigrees that can be owned and a case where I don't mind a coin that should technically have a "Details" grade for a punch:

Awesome !

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very selective in my purchases !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

No answer. I buy when the right coin comes along. Might be three in one auction or one a year.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

When something comes up that talks to me I buy just to stop the voices ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

For the record, I voted in the 7-12 a year category. :)

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I run hot and cold. I go a while without finding anything on my list. Then here’s a coin, there’s a coin, a coin everywhere. In between, I try to sit on my hands and have enough ammo to fire at the right time.

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I told myself I would plan on adding just 1-2 coins per year but somehow coins keep coming up for me to add so I voted 2-4 per month (on the lower end of that scale, roughly ~25/year)

My most recent purchase is this sestertius of Maximinus Thrax from 236 AD which isn't a terribly remarkable coin on its own except for the silver inlay on the obverse. This mark was used by Leonello d'Este, and shows it was part of the collection formed in the fifteenth century (born 1407, died 1450), subsequently finding itself in the Gonzaga collection and a number of other prominent collections in the intervening half-millennium.

Most of the collection was sold to pay off family debts in the early 1600s and the remaining coins were looted in 1630 during the sack of Mantua, causing the coins to be distributed all throughout Europe into various collections and museums.

It's one of the oldest pedigrees that can be owned and a case where I don't mind a coin that should technically have a "Details" grade for a punch:

Its cool to own such an old pedigree. After all, people collected ancient coins long before US coins was a thing. I've always been a fan of Roman and Byzantine history. I collect mostly US coins but I've been thinking of getting into ancient numismatics. Silver Denarii and gold Solidus are quite affordable for their age. I believe Maximinus Thrax was 8 feet tall when he was alive?

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 9:17AM

Interesting. Really not what I expected. I thought we’d see a few people in the 2-4 a month club with many more being at <1 per month. It seems that a near-majority of people here need a weekly or biweekly fix. :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins are as low as $50, but I just buy what I like when I see it typically, I am always open to a new addition. :)
    This is my latest from last Saturday:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

3-6 a year... never know... long stretches without anything, then it seems I catch a fever and buy a few.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    1 or 2 per year now, only need about 10 to finish where I want my collection to be when I die :smile:

Latest

Nice one!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm about upgraded as far as I want to go.
    It's the BIG holes now and those are BIG.

Unless I find something else & I'm not there yet.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

It always seems to go in spurts, I'll go several months and find nothing of interest to buy (that I need anyway) and then bam two or three will pop up together. But overall I have slowed down my impulse buys to only a couple a year.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted 7-12 per year and it's on the low end of that. I only started a modified US Type set in the last 2 years so there are plenty of spots to fill, but as time passes and the number of slots to fill decreases it will likely slow to more like 3-6 per year. My set will consist of about 110 coins when complete and my plan is to take about 20 years to complete it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file