Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help with this 1806 half dollar

HI everyone,

I bought this raw 1806 draped bust half dollar on ebay for my type collection. It is listed as a pointed 6 no stems variety.

It is 13.46g in weight, and seems genuine. I have attached pics for your review.

Can you please give me your thoughts? Genuine? Cleaned or not? Any other comments are welcomed.

Thanks!

David

Comments

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Something is off...I wouldn't keep it.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

No expert here, but the stars look odd especially on the right. I will wait for the experts to chime in here.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't keep it. On a coin like this I would wait and get a nice one in a PCGS holder. JMHO.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid I agree with the others, something is really off about it. I would send it back. Get one slabbed so there's no worry...

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The digits in the date don’t look right. I’ve seen the star points stretch out on genuine coins, but no like that, and the unevenness in the edge letting concerns me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send it back with a recommendation to have it examined by a coin shop or have it graded. Then add this little note:

From ICTA (The Industry Council for Tangible Assets):
    —————
    Barry Ron Skog, 68, of Burnsville, Minn., pleaded guilty February 21 to one count of selling counterfeit coins and one count of mail fraud in the United States District Court of Minnesota in St. Paul.
    Skog faces a potential maximum sentence of 15 years imprisonment on the count of selling counterfeit coins and a potential of 20 years maximum on the mail fraud count. He also faces fines of up to $250,000 for each count and mandatory restitution in amounts to be determined by the court.
    No date has been set for sentencing.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 8:55AM

@Romankow

A coin like that I would not buy raw unless you are very experienced with Draped Busts.

Edit to add: An idea. Prior to bidding/buying post a pic on the forum and ask for opinions. Don’t post the auction URL, unless you want competition.

Good luck!

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend you wait a little and find a nice auction for one online were you can get a nice price for one. Hear is one I have

• mikev50mikev50 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 11:17AM

i agree-find a better one-heres the one i have-pcgs-118a-shattered die-

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it’s very risky to buy raw coins like this in the Internet. You shouldn’t buy coins like this in person unless you have a fair amount of expertise.

My advice is, buy a coin that has been certified by a first or second tier grading firm. Crack it out if you have to put it in an album. Buying these coins raw without a personal examination has unfortunately become a folly.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RomankowRomankow Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Thank you for all of your help, everyone!

What really sold me on thinking that it's authentic are the following:

1. Its weight (13.46 grams), which only 0.02 grams shy of the official weight for an authentic draped bust half.
    2. The lettering on the edge, which would seem to be difficult to reproduce by a counterfeiter,

Anyway, I am humbled by all of your knowledge. Coin is packaged up already, ready to be returned to the seller.

--David

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great place for advice.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

You made the right decision (returning it). @Nysoto nailed it. No surprise.
    Lance.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good decision to return the coin.... along with the other inputs... the E in Liberty is very wrong....Cheers, RickO

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks fake to me. The obverse looks like it has bubbling. Did you test the coin with a magnet?

Glad you’re returning it and please don’t buy raw coins like this again.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually had a "family" of these show up for sale in an internet venue, dated 1802, 1803 and 1806:

One of the obvious details off compared to a genuine one is the arrow ends:

• AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@Romankow said:
    Thank you for all of your help, everyone!

What really sold me on thinking that it's authentic are the following:

1. Its weight (13.46 grams), which only 0.02 grams shy of the official weight for an authentic draped bust half.
    2. The lettering on the edge, which would seem to be difficult to reproduce by a counterfeiter,

Anyway, I am humbled by all of your knowledge. Coin is packaged up already, ready to be returned to the seller.

--David

You just avoided some expensive tuition. Good idea to ask for advice here, and glad you are returning it.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file