Home Precious Metals
Options

Show me a cool silver round!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston ... I have one of those Troy pound silver 'coins'....though it is from the '90's.... Nice hunk of silver. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    donjaludonjalu Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

This round sure is an oxymoron.

• Options

@dcarr.... Very nice... thanks for posting those....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 8:55AM

@rwyarmch That’s neat! What kind of display is it?

Edit to add. Thanks @rwyarmch!

• Options

@donjalu said:
    This round sure is an oxymoron.

Update on Harwood: From an Internet search:
    They were made of silver and gold in 1 Oz. denominations during 1981 and 1982. There is some controversy about counterfeit rounds.

"Harwood was a scientist in the early 1900's. He also studied and wrote a detailed analysis of statistics and economic history led him to a number of what he considered to be "warranted assertions". One of these was the following: that two market evolved monetary mechanisms functioned relatively well together, and they were the cornerstones of several healthy national economies, at least up until the creation of the Federal Reserve System. These two mechanisms were (1) the gold standard and (2) what he called "sound commercial banking".
    Harwood's analysis brought him to the further conclusion that the abandonment of the gold standard, the loss of sound commercial banking principles, and the subtle growth of the Federal Reserve's powers to create money in place and stead of the commercial banks would, in the long run, disrupt monetary equilibrium and undermine the U.S. dollar."

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info donjalu, this Harwood might have been onto something

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like hes been wrong for 100 years. Maybe he has a different definition of long run.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

A silver Shekel. Has anyone seen this round before. Kingsmen Silver?
    Is it a rare silver round?

• Options

How about this one? Bling, Bling! :D

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool stuff in this thread!

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted it before, very well executed imo.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 3:57PM

Really cool pieces everyone! I enjoy seeing the additions to the thread. Some fantastic pieces I haven’t seen before. Really outlines a cool element to stacking silver. I mean, if your addicted to buying it, why not make it neat and interesting as you go. Many of these rounds are at the intersection of intrinsic value and collectability. That’s a great place to be, IMO. Keeps it fun.

A few Homestake silver rounds

They’re from a set of around twenty pieces. The mine would have one made per year with a different theme. I don’t know mintages off hand but there are a few stoppers to the set. They have always been pricey but the last few years the values have skyrocketed. I’m happy to have a the couple I have.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2019 6:55PM

I posted this in the Apollo thread in the US Coin forum. Not really a stacker kind of thing; more for the collectors or stacker/collector types.

—————

The Joint US Mint and Royal Australian Mint Apollo coin set is out!

Cost is about $149 USD (including international shipping). Do not know if it varies from state to state. I have placed my order and received a confirmation email and the "Sales Order Acknowledgement" PDF.

Pic's below are from RAM. The mintage limit for the set is 10,000.

Shipping ("dispatch" on the RAM website) date is 5 Jun 2019. Basically, this is a pre-order.

Here's the link: https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/50th-Anniversary-of-the-Lunar-Landing-Two-Coin-Set/10283.aspx

——-

APMEX is the only listed reseller of RAM coins. https://www.ramint.gov.au/international-distributors

They now have the 2-coin set available for pre-order. So you can now order from RAM or APMEX.

https://www.apmex.com/product/191699/2019-2-coin-domed-apollo-11-moon-landing-50th-anniv-us-ram-set

—————

The PM costs is way above spot so this is definitely a collector’s item.

• Options

On the RAM site, it is $195.00.... Nice coin, but I will pass at that price. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    On the RAM site, it is $195.00.... Nice coin, but I will pass at that price. Cheers, RickO

The $195 at the RAM site is in AUD. Today’s conversion is a few cents over $135 USD. Still way above spot.

Apmex has 405 available.

Ram has 800 available.

• Options

Sorry...my mistake... mistook the A for American... :p Cheers, RickO

• Options

I was taking with a friend the other day and he made a comment about how there is a guidebook for silver bars but not for silver rounds. We talked about it a bit and wondered what could happen to demand and values if just such a book were to be researched and printed.

• Options

@WildIdea said:
    I was taking with a friend the other day and he made a comment about how there is a guidebook for silver bars but not for silver rounds. We talked about it a bit and wondered what could happen to demand and values if just such a book were to be researched and printed.

Big project but if well researched with pics and descriptions I’d be a good book. The book will need good backing by some big players if it’s to be used as a reference starting out. First edition/publication should have an endorsement and foreword by such a person or representative of an entity.

Also, shouldn’t be a one and done. Will need periodic updates/editions to keep current.

My 1.99 cents.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Very impressive collections.

COA
  • Options

@Weiss ... Those are interesting and unique silver rounds... That two and a half ounce Eagle is nice....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    When silver was doing its rocket ride in the 1980 period, they thought that $12 would be IMPOSSIBLY low for silver to sink to.
    They were wrong. :/

my kind of back story. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@WildIdea said:

Big project but if well researched with pics and descriptions I’d be a good book. The book will need good backing by some big players if it’s to be used as a reference starting out. First edition/publication should have an endorsement and foreword by such a person or representative of an entity.

Also, shouldn’t be a one and done. Will need periodic updates/editions to keep current.

My 1.99 cents.

monumental project since everything is going to make it into round form the way it's going.

"classic" rounds from the 2000's and before might make a thick but bearable book.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 that DOW round is cool!

Here is my favorite silver round, good old "Shiba". The mascot of dodgecoin...always makes me smile when I find it in the stack:

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

Daniel Carr WL obverse photo DCo_zps21yvzkqy.png

Daniel Carr WL reverse photo DCr_zpsncygdnkh.png

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options

@Meltdown ... I really like that ten ounce round... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mesquite I love the antiqued version of those so much better than the satin finish. I’ll have to pick them up down the road. Here’s my satin copies.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2019 1:16PM

I'm a fan for the Maples
    Simple design, but artistically pleasing to the eye.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coiny types are (were) kinda fun.

:/

• Options

@ARCO... What weight are those bars??? Cannot tell from the picture.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks everyone for adding to this thread! It’s fun to see the new pictures of cool rounds coming every time I can check in.

This is a bi metallic plated silver round from Homestake goldmine. Would have likely been sold from the gift shop overlooking the open cut in Lead, SD. The old gift shop was recently replaced with a updated visitor center building showcasing the history of the mine as well as outlining the purpose of the expanding current neutrino lab that was started in late 1960’s at the 4850 ft level.

I’m stoked to have the box although missing the certificate that would have been tucked in the ribbon at top of lid.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 8:40AM

@ricko said:
    @ARCO... What weight are those bars??? Cannot tell from the picture.... Cheers, RickO

I grabbed the pic from a bullion round manufacturer, Intaglio Mint maybe. I want to say 400 oz, but I don't recall. The stack of silver is just a sight to behold.

I would probably just drape a cloth around it, put a little pillow on top and use it as little sitting bench. :) The silver would be hiding in plain sight.

• Options

@ARCO... It certainly is an impressive 'stack'... wish it were mine... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda sorta a round

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions