verb
    past participle of go1.
    adjective
    adjective: gone
    no longer present; departed.
    "the bad old days are gone"
    synonyms: away, absent, off, out, not present, nonattending, truant; More
    INFORMAL
    having reached a specified time in a pregnancy.
    "she is now four months gone"
    prepositionBRITISH
    preposition: gone
    (of time) past.
    "it's gone half past eleven"

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

rube

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Mike, Storm888 was a brilliant guy. Had great insights to much more than collecting.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about Kevin??

He has been on the boards with like 45 different ID’s and has provided more entertainment and card posts than almost anyone.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    balrog.

Yeah. One of his many.

I would argue no one has provided more awesome content than Kevin in the past five years.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

who was the guy who collected Mike Schmidt cards? Can't remember what his forum name was or his real name...

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2019 6:31PM

@Kep13 said:
    who was the guy who collected Mike Schmidt cards? Can't remember what his forum name was or his real name...

I believe it was mikeschmidt.

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Hi guys . Thanks for remembering me . I have never been more than a week away on these boards, mostly looking , but when the purging started , so did most of the interesting posts . I didn't feel the need to post or reply , when dealing with the Intellectual Diversity , that took over .

Over the years , I've had some of the best Internet moments that I still remember to this day . Some of the funniest people I've even heard were on here . Also some of the most knowledgeable people about were and still are , on here . I'm sure with the arrival of the very people that made these boards , a nice place to be , that in time this may well become , a nice place to be .

Any way , I've made some good friends on here , outside of the collecting arena , that at the very least made the previous time on here , even better . For what its worth , I'll check back more often and maybe I can give something back .--- Sonny

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll check back more often and maybe I can give something back .--- Sonny

That would be much appreciated Sonny.

Good to see you post.

Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

WinPitcher?? Thought he still posted once in awhile?? I remember a Con40 who used to post here.

• Options

@Stone193 said:

I'll check back more often and maybe I can give something back .--- Sonny

That would be much appreciated Sonny.

Good to see you post.

I will echo Mike's sentiment. It was always a pleasure interacting with you Sonny.

• Options

@Stingray said:
    WinPitcher?? Thought he still posted once in awhile?? I remember a Con40 who used to post here.

Good call Kirk. Keith (Con40) was a good guy.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:
    jeffcbay I remember. I got into a nasty spat with him over something that originated in Sports Talk (imagine that lol) about 11 years ago or so. Silly crap ha. He was a excellent poster. The more that come back and post like these guys combined with the newer great posters the faster this forum morphs back into a premium place to be.

It's nice to be remembered! I don't remember the spat, but I'm also not surprised. lol

I think I'm also making a comeback, which brought me to this thread. I took a 3+ year break when my son was born and turned my hobby room into a kid's room, but I'm slowly getting back into it. I miss the forum, the pack-ripping (sorry cpamike), the grading, and collecting in general. I started participating the the BBCE Breaks on Facebook and it has my hobby blood pumping again. Plus, I gotta get back into it now so hopefully my kids will naturally catch interest in it through me! :smile:

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    It's nice to be remembered! I don't remember the spat, but I'm also not surprised. lol

I think I'm also making a comeback, which brought me to this thread. I took a 3+ year break when my son was born and turned my hobby room into a kid's room, but I'm slowly getting back into it. I miss the forum, the pack-ripping (sorry cpamike), the grading, and collecting in general. I started participating the the BBCE Breaks on Facebook and it has my hobby blood pumping again. Plus, I gotta get back into it now so hopefully my kids will naturally catch interest in it through me! :smile:

Good to see you Jeff. I still remember that Ripken project you made with all the game used cards surrounding the Jersey. That was a sweet piece.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:

@softparade said:
    jeffcbay I remember. I got into a nasty spat with him over something that originated in Sports Talk (imagine that lol) about 11 years ago or so. Silly crap ha. He was a excellent poster. The more that come back and post like these guys combined with the newer great posters the faster this forum morphs back into a premium place to be.

Nice to have you back jeff.

Dave
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@Allen said:
    What happened to Chuck Knoblauch doing America? I cannot recall who started that or who abducted him. Can someone contact the unsolved mysteries reboot team at Netflix?

I started the thread. Chuck was accidentally cremated in a Wisconsin fire pit while visiting a board member. After that, I couldn't send out a replacement because it was no longer the same.

Here is Chuck during better times. We were getting ready to fly to Chicago for the National in this picture. If you didn't know, Chuck hates to fly.

photo ChuckywithVodka_zpsfb7fdeeb.jpg

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@cpamike said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@Allen said:
    What happened to Chuck Knoblauch doing America? I cannot recall who started that or who abducted him. Can someone contact the unsolved mysteries reboot team at Netflix?

I started the thread. Chuck was accidentally cremated in a Wisconsin fire pit while visiting a board member. After that, I couldn't send out a replacement because it was no longer the same.

Here is Chuck during better times. We were getting ready to fly to Chicago for the National in this picture. If you didn't know, Chuck hates to fly.

photo ChuckywithVodka_zpsfb7fdeeb.jpg

Ah good times

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

lawnmowerman= forum legend.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

That chuck card brings back a lot of memories and has literally been around the world a couple of times.

I vaguely recall something involving a mule in Argentina.

• Options

@thunderdan said:
    That chuck card brings back a lot of memories and has literally been around the world a couple of times.

I vaguely recall something involving a mule in Argentina.

Loved those pics. Some of the best on the thread. Chuck Knoblauch mountain climbing haha

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

MajorDanby

Noli was a really solid guy.

• Options

What most people do not realize is, the dummy that Tommy Lasorda took from the phanatic now works at a denny's in Baltimore.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    The re-emergence of Barry (tennesseebanker), Sonny (calaban7), Jeff (jeffcbay), and Mike (cpamike) should put to rest any thoughts that a thread like this doesn't serve a purpose.

I re-emerged on my own. Prize?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@softparade said:

Sorry, the answer we were looking for was "what is the grand canyon?"

Thanks for playing, and we have some lovely mismatched luggage for you.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@softparade said:

Sorry, the answer we were looking for was "what is the grand canyon?"

Thanks for playing, and we have some lovely mismatched luggage for you.

Give that man two white t shirts.

Dave
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, why are so many of the old members that I remember banned?

• Options

Strict policy I guess. If you sneeze, your banned.

• Options

I once got banned and deserved it.

I dropped an F-bomb on a troll back in 2008.

I enjoy coming here and hope others feel the same way?

Mike
  • Options

I can understand someone being banned for abusing other members, but being banned for an occasional f bomb seems a little harsh. I mean we are all adults, and we are all human.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I can understand someone being banned for abusing other members, but being banned for an occasional f bomb seems a little harsh. I mean we are all adults, and we are all human.

It wasn't just the F-bomb that pissed Carol Bennett off, Jason.

Me a few others under the old format had learned how to usurp the censor and post the entire "F" word.

The reason we were playing around with the system was that if one wanted to post about a player with an odd name like Pete LaCock, we couldn't post.

So, we realized e.g. if we put a letter "inside" the name in italic - the letter didn't actually go into italic but it allowed the full name to come out without getting a "warning" not allowing one to post the name.

That's what did it for her. I was here one minute and gone the next.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

@doubledragon said:

It wasn't just the F-bomb that pissed Carol Bennett off, Jason.

Me a few others under the old format had learned how to usurp the censor and post the entire "F" word.

The reason we were playing around with the system was that if one wanted to post about a player with an odd name like Pete LaCock, we couldn't post.

So, we realized e.g. if we put a letter "inside" the name in italic - the letter didn't actually go into italic but it allowed the full name to come out without getting a "warning" not allowing one to post the name.

That's what did it for her. I was here one minute and gone the next.

I understand. Rules are rules and we have to follow them.

• Options

They should start an "adults only" section on the forum for the people who want to get stuff off their chest. I noticed that a lot of the more controversial topics seem to get a lot of views before they are closed down. People still enjoy a little fun and drama I guess.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

@tunahead08 said:
    Out of curiosity, why are so many of the old members that I remember banned?

I'd say alcohol played a role in 90% of the cases. :)

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    They should start an "adults only" section on the forum for the people who want to get stuff off their chest. I noticed that a lot of the more controversial topics seem to get a lot of views before they are closed down. People still enjoy a little fun and drama I guess.

Just hang around for a bit Jason.

You will see a train wreck eventually.

Mike
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2019 11:51AM

@doubledragon said:

There basically was a section for that and it was called the open forum. It was pretty much the Sodom and Gomorrah of cu 🤣
    They decided to get rid of it because they didn't want something like that to be representative of the company

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    ahkmedbinladen
    Lsutigers
    Nam - oh, hello!
    KendallCat
    CardCountry

I see Bill LSUTigers on Facebook all the time. I should let him know about this thread........if he hasn't been permabanned.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mccardguy1 said:

@CrissCriss said:
    ahkmedbinladen
    Lsutigers
    Nam - oh, hello!
    KendallCat
    CardCountry

I see Bill LSUTigers on Facebook all the time. I should let him know about this thread........if he hasn't been permabanned.

His "Road Trip" thread with him and his buddy traveling to acquire a huge lot of baseball cards, to possibly find some riches in there, was one of the the most entertaining threads of all time on here.

An internet forum classic. :)

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

There basically was a section for that and it was called the open forum. It was pretty much the Sodom and Gomorrah of cu 🤣
    They decided to get rid of it because they didn't want something like that to be representative of the company

Sports Talk didn't replace the Open Forum, as Sports Talk was still here while the Open Forum was around. That being said, within the parameters of the forum rules, Sports Talk is a lot of fun and helps generate interest in our hobby.

• Options

@Stone193 said:

@doubledragon said:

Just hang around for a bit Jason.

You will see a train wreck eventually.

The only internet forums that never have a train wreck, are the ones that don't exist. B)

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@Stingray said:

Good call Kirk. Keith (Con40) was a good guy.

Keith (Con40) is doing well, he stayed at my house last month for a few days. He's still collecting and designing cards that never were, but is mostly spending his online time on a newer message board that formed last summer. Teaching graphic design and photography at a few colleges occupies most of his time these days.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

lawnmowerman= forum legend.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    One of the classiest guys ever is Downtown1974 (Bob). I think he still posts every now and then, but not nearly as much.

Tom, thank you for the kind words. I’ve always considered you one the best assets on these forums. I am in debt to you for the hand you had in completing my 1955 Topps set. I hope you are well. Take care my friend!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

Sports Talk didn't replace the Open Forum, as Sports Talk was still here while the Open Forum was around. That being said, within the parameters of the forum rules, Sports Talk is a lot of fun and helps generate interest in our hobby.

..and upping your post count. LOL.

I remember some crazy threads with .aknot and .arnyvee

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    Chaz was a trip!

I'm still here sort of !! psa 6's to all of you!!!! No NO ....I really meant PSA 9's to all of you!! ( I have to curb my enthusiasm!!! Can't go to PSA 10's !! )

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    Favrefan1971
    Pandrews

Pandrews was nuts... I LMAO many times...dry sense of humor...he was great. chaz