• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i just came back to watch that oj video again

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    i just came back to watch that oj video again

Norm Madonald is brilliant. Just finished watching it myself

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure Norm would be mocking a pitcher getting pulled after 7 no hit innings. I really miss the days when SNL was still funny.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the end you are going to wish every hour you spent watching baseball was put to good use doing something real.

nice commentary, Bronco, but Baseball(and Sports in general) IS what I do when there's nothing else to spend good time on. if I watch something planned, it's only after I get what needs to be done done. Sports to me is exactly what it is intended to be, a pass-time, although I will confess spending a little more time this past Winter to watch me some NFL. already I am planning to have some leisure time for the rejuvenated Browns come September.

as for MLB, I haven't even watched any highlights yet, not even from the OP's game. too much to do, it's spring and I need to be busy so I have time to drown some worms.

@keets said:
    At the end you are going to wish every hour you spent watching baseball was put to good use doing something real.

nice commentary, Bronco, but Baseball(and Sports in general) IS what I do when there's nothing else to spend good time on. if I watch something planned, it's only after I get what needs to be done done. Sports to me is exactly what it is intended to be, a pass-time, although I will confess spending a little more time this past Winter to watch me some NFL. already I am planning to have some leisure time for the rejuvenated Browns come September.

as for MLB, I haven't even watched any highlights yet, not even from the OP's game. too much to do, it's spring and I need to be busy so I have time to drown some worms.

Football at one game per week for a short season has chosen to focus you the fan and its not abusing you and your time.

Baseball at 162 games basically 1 day off a month should have the presence of mind not to let games grow longer year after year . In this environment of 500 channels plus cord cutting it seems dumb to abuse fans in this way. Bronco , genius that he is , is up in the crow's nest pointing to a massive iceberg dead ahead. Meanwhile , MLB , they are asleep at the wheel of the aforementioned titanic.

I'm 50 , i see younger people who don't have the patience to watch these endless games on tv and who can't afford to go. I'm seeing older people that are retired , who look at a 300 dollar cable bill as an expense to be cut out of the budget. It should be pointed out that the cable industry is just as abusive in forcing people who might only want one sports channel to see the home team to force a bundle of stupid channels on subscribers who may just decided to opt out completely.

ESPN is rolled into basic or extend cable , but many other channels are ruthlessly divided across multiple extra cost packages. Like , the MLB network carrying playoff games , am I going to pay for it the other 11 months ? :D nope . Maybe I'll go to a sports bar to watch, or if they keep annoying me then screw it , I won't watch at all.

This isn't just baseball, my mother loves NASCAR , they spread race coverage across about 10 channels, she wouldn't even have cable at all otherwise. If she gets tired of paying then all the channels on cable lose a household that has had cable for over 30 years.

just to be sure, I am going to assume that you know Football is only played once/week due to its physical nature, it has nothing to do with anything else.........................period. but like I said, you know that. what I find strange is all the whining about the length of MLB games while noone seems to mind that NFL games are getting longer every year. also, everyone complains about the "pace of play" with MLB, it's boring. consider this --- on average, an NFL game is about 3 hours and 20 minutes long, but the time the ball is actually in play is about 11 minutes!!!

but hey, I'm just sayin', that's all.

it's sort of peculiar, but the Sports that come to mind for me that would offer a fan the most activity for the time spent are probably Hockey and Soccer. with Hockey, there's the same amount of "timed" action but they get it done an hour quicker. with Soccer it's simple, the clock starts and then stops when the game ends, the play is continuous except for half-time. the only problem with Soccer is that nothing ever happens.

@keets said:
    just to be sure, I am going to assume that you know Football is only played once/week due to its physical nature, it has nothing to do with anything else.........................period. but like I said, you know that. what I find strange is all the whining about the length of MLB games while noone seems to mind that NFL games are getting longer every year. also, everyone complains about the "pace of play" with MLB, it's boring. consider this --- on average, an NFL game is about 3 hours and 20 minutes long, but the time the ball is actually in play is about 11 minutes!!!

but hey, I'm just sayin', that's all.

it's sort of peculiar, but the Sports that come to mind for me that would offer a fan the most activity for the time spent are probably Hockey and Soccer. with Hockey, there's the same amount of "timed" action but they get it done an hour quicker. with Soccer it's simple, the clock starts and then stops when the game ends, the play is continuous except for half-time. the only problem with Soccer is that nothing ever happens.

I think the NFL games are getting longer too but there are only 16 and usually its a sunday afternoon. Baseball is every night right? And they moved day games that kids might go to to nights for TV . And the game can go extra innings on a worknight so people even if they are interested have to give up and go to sleep.

TV or lack of it has always killed hockey and probably soccer too. TV helped baseball and football initially but giving the networks everything is going to hurt both going forward.

Baseball's heyday was when it was fan driven , when tv money and moneyball crap took over then it started its downhill slide. Its possible for baseball to remain commercially viable for many years going forward and still drive more fans away every year.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball was a perfect 2 and a half hour game. It was slow but moved at the same time. Only guy griping about the short minute between half innings was the catcher who having a recent at bat had to quickly get the armor back on...and as he was close with the home plate ump, and extra few seconds was generously granted.

And though i have absolutely no issue with the athletes in MLB taking home a half million bucks a game, I just can't identify with it. Baseball used to be the every man game with the pudgy pitchers and catches and infielders well below six feet in height. Baseball players looked like us and in the sixties for the most part lived like us.

Guy residing in a 10,000 foot mansion just doesn't seem the same.

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2019 5:34PM

Hey Bronco, ever heard of a thing called Sling TV? It’s cable over the internet, and it costs about $25/month, and I get all the A’s games for the whole season. Anyone who pays $300/month for cable is just not being smart, fiscally speaking. :)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the times games were played in back in the1960's a 2 hour game was a rarity unless it was a slugfest.

I am irritated at the PACE of the games.

STUPID that no one can put together an affordable package of local teams. I would like to be able to watch some Twins and Wild games (not a Basketball fan) without having to buy a load of stuff I am not going to watch.

I don't have cable or satelite, had them and they aren't worth it AT ALL to me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited April 10, 2019 6:15PM

@45isodd said:
    Hey Bronco, ever heard of a thing called Sling TV? It’s cable over the internet, and it costs about $25/month, and I get all the A’s games for the whole season. Anyone who pays $300/month for cable is just not being smart, fiscally speaking. :)

I'm all antenna on the roof and streaming via Roku now. I looked at sling but after I cut the cord from cable I lost interest in all the stuff I used to watch on cable and don't actually need sling now.

That being said I've seen ads for a new satellite service thats $40 a month and you own the equipment so potentially its going to stay at $40

When I first got DirecTV you also owned the box and the dish so it was a good deal back in the 90's . Then they started forcing the rented equipment and that was the end of them.

edited April 10, 2019 7:41PM

things tend to "average out" in all Sports but it's more apparent in MLB.

what has been overlooked throughout this entire thread is that in his second game Bauer walked six batters. that's what got his pitch count up and going by the way he pitched tonight he probably should have come out an inning earlier. he lasted 5 2/3 innings, gave up four runs, two HR's and threw 115 pitches. the HR's generally mean the pitcher is having trouble keeping the ball in the lower part of the zone.

like it or not, agree with it or not, today's pitchers expend more energy and place more stress on their arms than in the past. the 100 pitch count is an acceptable measure and if the Indians aren't careful Bauer will join fellow starter Mike Clevinger on the DL.

@keets said:
    things tend to "average out" in all Sports but it's more apparent in MLB.

what has been overlooked throughout this entire thread is that in his second game Bauer walked six batters. that's what got his pitch count up and going by the way he pitched tonight he probably should have come out an inning earlier. he lasted 5 2/3 innings, gave up four runs, two HR's and threw 115 pitches. the HR's generally mean the pitcher is having trouble keeping the ball in the lower part of the zone.

like it or not, agree with it or not, today's pitchers expend more energy and place more stress on their arms than in the past. the 100 pitch count is an acceptable measure and if the Indians aren't careful Bauer will join fellow starter Mike Clevinger on the DL.

So Bauer was still steamed at Francona and stunk up the place. Cannot blame him!

So let me get this straight. Bauer threw 117 pitches and walked SIX batters and Coinstartled still wants Francona to leave him in? For what? A no hitter with six walks? Big deal. Too wild to hit. Everyone would have been taking about the walks and not the no hitter.

If Francona would have left him in and he would have competed a no hitter with six walks Coinstartled would have started a different thread I suppose. Something like

Francona leaves in Bauer for vain hollow record. Whatcha doing Terry?

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Let us shift gears for a moment, Mark. I believe that you have mentioned in the past that you don't begin paying attention to baseball until the playoffs begin.

What part of the 162 game season do you find unappetizing.

--and if I am mistaking you for another poster, you have my apology and redaction.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    So let me get this straight. Bauer threw 117 pitches and walked SIX batters and Coinstartled still wants Francona to leave him in? For what? A no hitter with six walks? Big deal. Too wild to hit. Everyone would have been taking about the walks and not the no hitter.

If Francona would have left him in and he would have competed a no hitter with six walks Coinstartled would have started a different thread I suppose. Something like

Francona leaves in Bauer for vain hollow record. Whatcha doing Terry?

m

https://youtu.be/xHash5takWU

@Justacommeman said:
    The one thing not really mentioned yet is just how special talent wise Trevor Bauer is. I think he has given up exactly one hit in two starts this season. He is going to be one special free agent in the off season

m

Looks like that bubble has burst.

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:
    The one thing not really mentioned yet is just how special talent wise Trevor Bauer is. I think he has given up exactly one hit in two starts this season. He is going to be one special free agent in the off season

m

Looks like that bubble has burst.

And thank goodness it happened in Detroit

m

@Coinstartled said:
    Let us shift gears for a moment, Mark. I believe that you have mentioned in the past that you don't begin paying attention to baseball until the playoffs begin.

What part of the 162 game season do you find unappetizing.

--and if I am mistaking you for another poster, you have my apology and redaction.

You have never owed me an apology for anything.

I pay attention during the season. I watch highlights especially when I’m overseas. It’s just that there is zero chance I’ll watch an entire game until September. I just don’t have the 4 hours of time to invest to watch a game nor would it hold my interest. I do watch the MLB channel where they peak into games a half inning at a time or when something cool is happening. That’s more my speed

All is good. I respect your POV

m

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can tell who the baby boomers are on this thread...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:

Yep. You guys missed the magical years. Glad you can clean up the mess now!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:

I doubt it.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a baby boomer and on Marks side on this one!

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'm a baby boomer and on Marks side on this one!

I thank you for that.

;)